8/20 Sox at Twins, 6:10

flavum

7 minutes ago, Scoots said:

It must suck to be the Yankees or at least a fan of them. They are over 30 games above .500 and still 9.5 games behind Boston for first in the division. 

It never sucks to be the Yankees or a Yankee fan. They deserve shit like this because they had such a financial advantage for so many years. Maybe it will knock their fanbase off their high horse a bit. The baseball gods are punishing them for their years of gaming the system. I will never feel one bit of sympathy for that team or their fanbase. They can go eat a bag of dicks. They're all a bunch of spoiled children.

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

It never sucks to be the Yankees or a Yankee fan. They deserve shit like this because they had such a financial advantage for so many years. Maybe it will knock their fanbase off their high horse a bit. The baseball gods are punishing them for their years of gaming the system. 

I am kwolf and I approve this message. 

Just now, caulfield12 said:

What would it take for Mauer to make the HoF?

With a little bit shy of 2100 hits...not looking like a sure thing that he gets to 3000, or wants to hold on long enough.  And where does he go next?  Re-up with the Twins, or jump (re)start his career by leaving Minnesota?

Good question. He has been great, but his move to first base I think diminishes his case. However, I think there is also a case for him to get in. It's going to be a " non steroid" contentious argument us baseball fans long for. At this point, I don't know. 

That said if he did get 3000 hits he'd be a lock in my mind. I don't think he'll even come close to that.  

Well, I'm glad that someone agrees. 

LOL. I do. I am not one who whines about the small market teams. Wasn't KC owned by like the richest man ever and they were "small market". I think some of those teams deserve their fate, but the Yankees have absolutely been benefactors of the rules of the game. Baseball has made cursory moves to mitigate it. 

Edited by kwolf68

I think high velocity fastballs and the shift are going to cut into a lot of hitters late career numbers. Just look at what has happened to Pujols. It is going to be really hard for anyone to get to 3000 hits or 500 HR anymore, mostly because hitters aren't going to have as much longevity as they start to get blown away by 95 mph fastballs as they get to age 34-35. I wouldn't be surprised if you could count on one hand the number of today's stars that have an at bat past the age of 40.

Edited by Jack Parkman

I think high velocity fastballs and the shift are going to cut into a lot of hitters late career numbers. Just look at what has happened to Pujols. It is going to be really hard for anyone to get to 3000 hits or 500 HR anymore, mostly because hitters aren't going to have as much longevity as they start to get blown away by 95 mph fastballs as they get to age 34-35. I wouldn't be surprised if approximately zero of todays stars have an at bat past the age of 40.

Pujols hasn't been totally horrible as a hitter this year (.252, close to 20 homers, not atrocious), but watching him play the field is a joke. He may as well be in a damn walker. I saw him flip the ball to the pitcher and he couldn't have been more than 7 or 8 feet from the bag. 

2 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

LOL. I do. I am not one who whines about the small market teams. Wasn't KC owned by like the richest man ever and they were "small market". I think some of those teams deserve their fate, but the Yankees have absolutely been benefactors of the rules of the game. Baseball has made cursory moves to mitigate it. 

Ilitch spent like a madman in Detroit, too.  But yeah, the pharmaceutical industry was kind to Ewing Kauffman.  Fwiw, he was worth "only" around $2 billion at the time of his death in 1993, so that's around $22 billion if it was growing at roughly 10% interest per year.

10 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Unfortunately, the White Sox are one of those teams that has deserved their fate. The Bulls were still a cash cow in the early 2000s when they were bad and the Sox were good, JR had zero reason to spend on the Bulls at that time and he could have taken some of that money and poured it into the Sox and he didn't. I know they have two different ownership groups, but he could have at least put a good portion of his share into the Sox. You don't get trophies, banners or parades for winning the "fiscal responsibility championship." 

Edited by Jack Parkman