8/20 Games

SoxAce

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

He started the at-bat 0-2, worked a full count, and then crushed the 9th pitch for a HR.  This kid is a fucking stud.

Too many things not to like. Great fielder, sneaky power for his size and as you pointed out a batting eye that allows him to work a count. He has lead off potential big time!

Would I be wrong in saying his potential could be Lance Johnson with a little less speed but a little more power?

15 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Too many things not to like. Great fielder, sneaky power for his size and as you pointed out a batting eye that allows him to work a count. He has lead off potential big time!

Would I be wrong in saying his potential could be Lance Johnson with a little less speed but a little more power?

Johnson was a very different hitter as he had both low K & BB rates.  I’m really struggling a comp because most guys with his speed would steal a lot more bases.

Probably, but next step is send him to the dominican winter league and see how he does. If he can handle the craftier pitchers there he's really turned a corner and may indeed be closer to the majors than we realized.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Odds Basabe starts at AAA next year? I still think low

Not that they would (or should) push him for this reason alone, but there will be a lot of other OFers (Robert, Rutherford, Gonzalez, Adolfo) slated for Birmingham.  If he shows some degree of mastery of AA, it could be reason enough to move him up to Charlotte.

Basabe will likely be in AA to start the year, unless they send him to the AFL and he just completely lights it up.  I doubt with his K rate and an OPS in the mid 700's they're going to push him THAT fast up to AAA and the majors.  (Although it's the White Sox, so who the hell knows...)

We do have TOO many deserving candidates for the AFL for the first time in about two decades.

3 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Not that they would (or should) push him for this reason alone, but there will be a lot of other OFers (Robert, Rutherford, Gonzalez, Adolfo) slated for Birmingham.  If he shows some degree of mastery of AA, it could be reason enough to move him up to Charlotte.

What's the latest timetable on when Adolfo will be able to return to outfield play (after surgery)?  Maybe he DH's again at the start of the year and slides into RF/LF in the middle of the season?   Guess it's not too far off from what the Angels are doing with Ohtani this year...

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Johnson was a very different hitter as he had both low K & BB rates.  I’m really struggling a comp because most guys with his speed would steal a lot more bases.

He reminds me a little of Ray Durham as an overall offensive player.  Although physically and in his left handed swing, there’s a little D’Aza in there.

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I can't think of a proper comp either. LJ is the best I can come up with but admittedly not the ideal comp. We should have a much better idea by this time next year.

• bmags unpinned this topic