Abreu has surgery, out at least 2 weeks

ChiSox59

1 hour ago, fathom said:

How so?  Kopech looked great.

I wouldn't call needing 50 pitches to get through 2 innings great. His stuff looked great but too many FB right down the middle that the hitters can foul off. Needs to command the zone a little better. 

27 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I wouldn't call needing 50 pitches to get through 2 innings great. His stuff looked great but too many FB right down the middle that the hitters can foul off. Needs to command the zone a little better. 

He did a great job of keeping his composure tonight, as I thought there was a chance he would walk the world tonight due to overthrowing.  He showed the ability to throw all 4 pitches for strikes, and if he ever commands that changeup, "uh-oh".

1 hour ago, fathom said:

He did a great job of keeping his composure tonight, as I thought there was a chance he would walk the world tonight due to overthrowing.  He showed the ability to throw all 4 pitches for strikes, and if he ever commands that changeup, "uh-oh".

Yep, especially for his ML debut. He was great.

7 hours ago, fathom said:

I will agree he did a great job of keeping his composure. He worked out of jams in both of his innings, that was impressive. However, I guess our definition of great is different. He was on pace to leave the game in the 4th inning. He looks to have great and exciting potential but I would nog consider the outing as a whole great.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So is 2 weeks a reasonable return for Abreu or is this one where the White Sox are likely giving a conservative estimate?

2 weeks is very possible.  Healing and stitch removal is  in 10 days. No more than 3 weeks unless there is an infection or other complication.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Owww. Testicular torsion hurts more than a typical hernia. However, the recovery is about the same length. He should be fine by the weekend. I can see why they would ease him back. Hopefully, they caught it early enough or that he has had his kids already.

Edited by ptatc

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

My balls ache now, fug.  How does that happen anyways?  Or do I even want to know...

It's usually some kind of groin injury but can also happen with something as simple as sleeping when people roll over. Its mostly with people who are born with a genetic abnormality, I cant remember the name, where the testicles move more freely than most.

The testicle actually spins and cuts off the blood supply, which is what causes the pain.

Edited by ptatc
  • Thanks 1