Market/Financial Thread

Chisoxfn

6 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I think those bomb threats are killing the stock market today. 

The selling really accelerated in the last hour of the day, or long after the bombs were made public.  I haven't heard yet what the onus was in the last hour, but I would be kind of surprised if that is why.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

The selling really accelerated in the last hour of the day, or long after the bombs were made public.  I haven't heard yet what the onus was in the last hour, but I would be kind of surprised if that is why.

I feel it snowballed later in the day because people started to realize the extent of what was going on. But who knows, there is nothing else really out there that I have seen that makes sense. 

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Trump can spin the tariffs as rah rah all he wants, but I see the results directly across the board when reviewing financials. It can only be passed along to consumers so much - it's killing margins. Economists disagree and say it's not that tariffs won't and don't effect the US economy that much, but I disagree.

I was in an Uber the other day and my driver said he thought we're nearing the end of the bull run... if that's not a sign I'm not sure what is. Since we're on SoxTalk -- to compare it to baseball ---- I'd say the Economy/bull run just wrapped up the 7th inning stretch. We may have between 6-24 months of run left in this thing depending on many factors, but personally think when the clock strikes 2020 that somewhere in that year is where the bottom really falls out.

No mention of MSFT at all.

Notably, the market saw flows into classic risk-off sectors with real estate, utilities, and consumer staples all closing in the green while the newly-formed communications sector dropped almost 5% while the S&P tech sector lost 4.4%. Treasurys also got a bid on Wednesday with the yield on the 10-year moving back to 3.11% and the 5-year falling back below 3% after yields earlier this month hit a seven-year high.

The FAANG stocks, some of the highest fliers in the market since the beginning of 2017, were punished especially hard on Wednesday on no major market-moving news in the space, as Netflix (NFLX) shares fell 9.4%, Facebook (FB) stock fell 5% to approach a new 52-week low, while Amazon (AMZN) and Alphabet (GOOGL) shares lost more than 5% ahead of those companies’ reports expected after the market close on Thursday.

Chip names were also under pressure all day on Wednesday with AMD’s (AMD) report after the market close putting even more pressure on the space after hours. AMD fell 9% during the trading day on Wednesday and was off more than 20% after hours as the chipmaker’s guidance missed expectations.

On Thursday, the heavy earnings flow continues with Alphabet, Amazon, Gilead (GILD), Chipotle (CMG), Merck (MRK), Twitter (TWTR), Altria (MO), Discover Financial (DFS), and Comcast (CMCSA) all reporting on Thursday. 

• 1 year later...

Bored on a Friday and thought I'd revive the financial thread a bit. About 16 months since the last post - what are peoples thought on the DOW about to hit 30,000? Does this feel like a highly functioning economy or is it your opinion that your day to day life isn't reflected in stock prices? 

Tesla market cap exploding -- any predictions or thoughts?

Bitcoin still not dead and still hovering around $10,000.

I personally am guessing the US moves to negative interest rates and joins the madness of the rest of the world. An arms race to the bottom. The experiment of our hard earned money continues & when it his the pendulum is going to have to swing the other way. I think we're due for a flash crash, a fake recovery, and then real downturn/recession. I think the flash crash will hit by the end of 2021 and the recession, if we maintain this path would be 2-5 years after that.

2 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

Bored on a Friday and thought I'd revive the financial thread a bit. About 16 months since the last post - what are peoples thought on the DOW about to hit 30,000? Does this feel like a highly functioning economy or is it your opinion that your day to day life isn't reflected in stock prices? 

I personally am guessing the US moves to negative interest rates and joins the madness of the rest of the world. An arms race to the bottom. The experiment of our hard earned money continues & when it his the pendulum is going to have to swing the other way. I think we're due for a flash crash, a fake recovery, and then real downturn/recession. I think the flash crash will hit by the end of 2021 and the recession, if we maintain this path would be 2-5 years after that.

Time to buy the retirement home in Colorado!

2 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

I don't give much public financial advice, but I realistically see Tesla with a 1 trillion dollar market cap within the next 6-8 years. I am pretty heavily invested into Tesla though. I am a firm believer in not only the social move towards renewable, but also a big believer in the battery technology and loved him moving much of the production in house. With further growth in the Chinese market, and his contracts in Germany for driverless cabs, the expansion is coming fast. Efficiencies on the production side need to increase, but I'm invested into Tesla for the battery technology - not for cars.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

52 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

All the financial gurus on here, my employer offers a Roth 401K and I was wondering if that's something I should be looking into instead of traditional.  Does anyone have any thoughts? 

If they offer a match, go with the Roth. You'd rather pay taxes now than later, and psychologically for me, I'd rather see the taxed money leave my checks now than to get it taxed as I withdraw in retirement.

Some will tell you to contribute what they match, but depending on your income, it may be best to max it out entirely. 

Edited by soxfan49

4 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Do they offer you a match?

4 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

If they offer a match, go with the Roth. You'd rather pay taxes now than later, and psychologically for me, I'd rather see the taxed money leave my checks now than to get it taxed as I withdraw in retirement.

Some will tell you to contribute what they match, but depending on your income, it may be best to max it out entirely. 

Thank you both, they match 100% up to 5.5%

4 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

You're right, I'd say to contribute what they match. No point in locking up more under those terms without the incentive.

That said, if you're not going to bother putting it to work elsewhere, then I'd agree with you and just max it out.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You're right, I'd say to contribute what they match. No point in locking up more under those terms without the incentive.

That said, if you're not going to bother putting it to work elsewhere, then I'd agree with you and just max it out.

People who make a lot of money need to max out their 403b/401k. Roth IRA's aren't possible under the law. There is permanent life insurance and brokerage accounts, but you might as well throw ~19k into your 403b/401k if you're making 500k or more per year. That's less than 5% of your income, big deal.

On 2/7/2020 at 8:43 PM, soxfan49 said:

People who make a lot of money need to max out their 403b/401k. Roth IRA's aren't possible under the law. There is permanent life insurance and brokerage accounts, but you might as well throw ~19k into your 403b/401k if you're making 500k or more per year. That's less than 5% of your income, big deal.

You're talking about a very small portion of the population 😄

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 6:35 PM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

In general, I'd tell someone (as long as they can afford it), contribute the maximum you can to maximize your tax benefit (at a minimum).  

On 2/9/2020 at 9:29 AM, soxfan49 said:

I know, but I also figured I'd throw it out there because I have no clue how much @justBLAZE makes and if I'm here giving financial advice, it's the responsible thing to do to address every scenario

Agreed - Plus, if you put aside more like 10-15% of your income towards retirement, someone who makes far less than the $500K you mentioned would be in a position where it would potentially be in there best interest to max out their 401K contribution.  

16 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Agreed - Plus, if you put aside more like 10-15% of your income towards retirement, someone who makes far less than the $500K you mentioned would be in a position where it would potentially be in there best interest to max out their 401K contribution.  

Right. The rich folks have a difficult time with saving for retirement because 1) they're used to living on their entire income- their lifestyle has adapted to that and so they'll need almost all of that income each year in retirement + inflation and 2) they have less vehicles to do it because of their income. Making $300k+ each year and only contributing 5% to a 401k with a 5% match is going to be almost impossible to live reasonably (in their mind) in retirement. I used to be an advisor and when people would say "we make $500k as a household now and in retirement I think we'll need about $3k per month to live how we want" I would legitimately laugh. Yeah, going from 42k a month to 3k a month is doable.