Market/Financial Thread

Chisoxfn

5 minutes ago, Chi Town Sox said:

Meme coin season is here, too.  Many can laugh all they want and obviously there is risk but if you find the fight coin, you can 100-1000x your money pretty quickly.  I have a friend that just turned $4k into $530k in a few weeks.  

That's pretty crazy, but a lot of risk with some of those and selling out can be difficult.

I'm in $OMI token; I bought in at about .00146 - it's gotten up to a penny. I think $OMI actually has a viable and long term position - it has by far the best licenses in the NFT game (Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, USPS now, Back to the Future, WB and etc just to name a few of many) and their token is deflationary meaning as long as the business holds viability for a long enough period of time (ie the digital collectible market maintains it's presence), if you hold the value of OMI could really sky rocket 6-8 years out at their current burn rate. The more popular VEVE (their digital marketplace) continues to become the faster they burn and get into circulated supply. I've got 900,000 of them as I was a bit skeptical on NFT's and that market which cost me around $1300. Right now that's worth about $7200 but I'm holding for the long term, betting on the company, and hoping with the deflationary aspect we're looking at a 10-50cent run in the next 5-7 years. If it zeroes, it zeroes. Their licenses are so damn good.

10 minutes ago, Chi Town Sox said:

I am in the process of rolling over my 401k from past employer.  

Does anyone have a suggestion on if they would move that into an IRA (would need to be traditional) or into my current employers 401K?  My current employers 401k is 10x the amount of the old so I'd increase the account 10%.

The thing is, I love being able to choose my own investments in the IRA with some high growth stocks/ETF's but assume that I'd be missing out on some "safer" compound gains if adding it to my current/larger 401k account.

Any feedback?  Understand this is not advice but finding some solid feedback online has been a little more difficult than I expected.

Personally I like the freedom of an IRA vs the limited options in a 401k, but that depends a lot on how savvy of an investor you are.  If you are someone who can handle options beyond a few pre-picked funds, that is a check mark for an IRA.  If you aren't well read in this area, shove it into your 401k and pick the closest thing you can to an SP500 index fund.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

That's pretty crazy, but a lot of risk with some of those and selling out can be difficult.

I'm in $OMI token; I bought in at about .00146 - it's gotten up to a penny. I think $OMI actually has a viable and long term position - it has by far the best licenses in the NFT game (Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, USPS now, Back to the Future, WB and etc just to name a few of many) and their token is deflationary meaning as long as the business holds viability for a long enough period of time (ie the digital collectible market maintains it's presence), if you hold the value of OMI could really sky rocket 6-8 years out at their current burn rate. The more popular VEVE (their digital marketplace) continues to become the faster they burn and get into circulated supply. I've got 900,000 of them as I was a bit skeptical on NFT's and that market which cost me around $1300. Right now that's worth about $7200 but I'm holding for the long term, betting on the company, and hoping with the deflationary aspect we're looking at a 10-50cent run in the next 5-7 years. If it zeroes, it zeroes. Their licenses are so damn good.

Yes, it is definitely a risk.  In meme coins, it is important to find plays that have liquidity locked (amongst many other things) so it can't be rug pulled and actual uses.  Selling during run ups is a must, IMO.

I'll check them out, thanks!  

1 hour ago, Chi Town Sox said:

Meme coin season is here, too.  Many can laugh all they want and obviously there is risk but if you find the fight coin, you can 100-1000x your money pretty quickly.  I have a friend that just turned $4k into $530k in a few weeks.  

Which coins did he do that in? 

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Which coins did he do that in? 

Mononoke Inu and Saitama Inu.  Saitama has run quite a bit so less upside.  Mononoke has run but not to the level of Saitama...yet.  They both have use cases and are real.

The one I just recently got in and could be promising is Diginu.  Many people from Saitama and Mononoke have brought their profits over to it.  Hasn't run yet.  It's a 2D metaverse style game comparable to Zelda and Pokemon, it's a risk because it is so early but they are doing the right things so far.  https://diginu.io/

I figure, I gamble on sports and win 50% of the time I think I'd rather take the risk and use that money on a crypto that may work out for potential life changing money while it's a bull market.

I think many people underestimate how much money is going into crypto and blockchain, people around the world are in it and will only become more adopted as time goes on.   

Edited by Chi Town Sox

3 hours ago, Chi Town Sox said:

Mononoke Inu and Saitama Inu.  Saitama has run quite a bit so less upside.  Mononoke has run but not to the level of Saitama...yet.  They both have use cases and are real.

The one I just recently got in and could be promising is Diginu.  Many people from Saitama and Mononoke have brought their profits over to it.  Hasn't run yet.  It's a 2D metaverse style game comparable to Zelda and Pokemon, it's a risk because it is so early but they are doing the right things so far.  https://diginu.io/

I figure, I gamble on sports and win 50% of the time I think I'd rather take the risk and use that money on a crypto that may work out for potential life changing money while it's a bull market.

I think many people underestimate how much money is going into crypto and blockchain, people around the world are in it and will only become more adopted as time goes on.   

Is he doing high leverage on these shitcoins? That's absurd he went from 4k to 540k on those. 

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Is he doing high leverage on these shitcoins? That's absurd he went from 4k to 540k on those. 

Nope, Saitama went nearly 1500% on its second day and even more since then. He took  profits from that and another one he hit on and compounded into Mononoke. He got lucky and played it nearly flawlessly. 

10 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Ray ray is totally going to rug us on this OMI coin

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/8/2021 at 2:36 PM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Amazing that they got to 1 trillion in less than 2 years from this post. Up 1000% feels pretty good. 

So again I don't give much invest advice in public, but my next big play is Li-Cycle (in them large) and some Ford. Moreso li-cycle though. I think you're looking at the soon-to-be fastest growing market in the world (battery recycling) and I've been in LICY since June 2021 as I love how far along they are compared to competition. I think you're looking at a 20-40b market cap in the next 4-5 years and then a possible huge explosion 6 years out as EVs start to need battery swaps and etc for the market that is really taking off. Recycled lithium a huge component here too 

I started my long position on LICY today at $8.03 - I really appreciate you mentioning that ticker.  Love the potential and I agree with everything, I was getting ready to start looking into that sector because I am currently looking at EV's to buy.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Am supposed to do a Required Minimum Distribution from Vanguard before Dec 31st.

Any thoughts (from those market timers)....do it now before the market falls even further, or wait out Russia/Ukraine and hope for a rebound the second half of the year?

Feels like the days of 8-12% yearly stock market growth are coming to an end, and 3-5% before taxes/inflation will be the "new normal."

33 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Am supposed to do a Required Minimum Distribution from Vanguard before Dec 31st.

Any thoughts (from those market timers)....do it now before the market falls even further, or wait out Russia/Ukraine and hope for a rebound the second half of the year?

Feels like the days of 8-12% yearly stock market growth are coming to an end, and 3-5% before taxes/inflation will be the "new normal."

What makes you think speculation will stop?  Is money going to stop being free all of a sudden?

43 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

What makes you think speculation will stop?  Is money going to stop being free all of a sudden?

No.

What does seem pretty clear is we're likely entering a period some would refer to as stagnation, highlighted by stagnant growth and higher/rising prices.

This is certainly the case with BBB bill blocked permanently by two senators.

It's certainly no surprise oil is well over $100 a barrel again...the only "shock" was the belief in March/April 2020 that oil prices might never bounce back.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

What the hell is going on? I have small Roth IRA and just in the last month it lost $1,400

FUD

Inflation, Recession, Stagnation. Most stocks are down. Time *in* market is the key. They will rebound so unless you are planning on retiring over the next two years keep investing. This is the buy low part of the equation. There are lots of bargains.

Except for DS. It will continue to suck and remind me to not jump in so fast on new companies. I'm hanging on because I want to see that big ass red number every day. It keeps me humble. 

7 hours ago, Texsox said:

FUD

Inflation, Recession, Stagnation. Most stocks are down. Time *in* market is the key. They will rebound so unless you are planning on retiring over the next two years keep investing. This is the buy low part of the equation. There are lots of bargains.

Except for DS. It will continue to suck and remind me to not jump in so fast on new companies. I'm hanging on because I want to see that big ass red number every day. It keeps me humble. 

This - It could go lower still and may - but you are still getting 10 or 15% off in the long-run (as long as you have a long view and can tolerate losses in the short).  

7 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

This - It could go lower still and may - but you are still getting 10 or 15% off in the long-run (as long as you have a long view and can tolerate losses in the short).  

I'm looking at 2030 or later before I'll possibly need it. 

Rory McIlroy and I invested $10,010,000 in Drive Shack :jpshakehead: and it's lost about 80% of it's value in the past six months. That will wipe out most any gains I projected for this year. I'm hoping for a change in leadership but it doesn't seem likely.

Moving from a passive investing strategy using mutual funds, real estate, and angel financing, to a more active approach is not working out yet. But every education has a price. 

On 5/9/2022 at 4:04 PM, Texsox said:

Jumped into RIVN today at $23. Holding for a long time.

I still love that company and its leadership but it's going to be real touch and go for all of the smaller players the next few years. I hope they raised enough capital to stay afloat because I think they've made a lot of smart bets and obviously they have a big plant in IL I'm rooting for as well.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I still love that company and its leadership but it's going to be real touch and go for all of the smaller players the next few years. I hope they raised enough capital to stay afloat because I think they've made a lot of smart bets and obviously they have a big plant in IL I'm rooting for as well.

My son got me thinking of this. A few years ago he sold some of his Tesla stock to buy a Tesla. Last year he sold some of his Ford stock to buy a Tremor. He's got a Rivian truck on order and you can guess his plan. It's not the wisest play, but seems fun. 

I have about a six year horizon before I buy my next truck. I doubt the electric truck capability will meet my needs in six years, but it will be interesting. My current outlook is needing a one ton truck to tow a fifth wheel and probably not be around civilization that much. Diesel is probably the option for me then, but who knows. 

On 5/9/2022 at 4:04 PM, Texsox said:

Jumped into RIVN today at $23. Holding for a long time.

The downside is sneaky covered because Amazon needs more vans than RIVN could dream of making over the next decade, and likely could pay whatever RIVN wants, especially since they own at least 1/5th of the company.  While I think the founder and company would love to make granola friendly pickups and suvs, or at least make enough to keep up that vibe to attract talent, the cash cow is in making delivery vans for companies (or the gov) that will try to go carbon neutral.

Despite the valuation being already bananas it has all of the upside and has some downside protection that is rare to find in names like this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Watching Elon get scared and search for a way out of his Twitter mess is very entertaining to say the least.

I think we all have had similar experiences. You sober up, check your phone, and think wtf did I do?? Lol