Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

“Our fans would have been much more disappointed in our inability to keep this next core together,’’ he said. “We would have overextended ourselves had we gone to an uncomfortable level.’’

I think there is a problem w KW's thought process.  Harper and Manny are established MLB stars. So yes, you do pay an established star rather than save the money for players who are not proven.   Maybe signing Manny would have made it impossible to sign  a couple of players down the line.  That is the gamble you take when you have the chance to sign a 26 yr old face to your franchise.  This was not signing a good player to fill a hole. This was a chance at your stud for the next 6-8 years.  

Now if they take the Manny money and sign 2 or 3 high quality FA's  next year then maybe they can regain face. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

“Our fans would have been much more disappointed in our inability to keep this next core together,’’ he said. “We would have overextended ourselves had we gone to an uncomfortable level.’’

I think there is a problem w KW's thought process.  Harper and Manny are established MLB stars. So yes, you do pay an established star rather than save the money for players who are not proven.   Maybe signing Manny would have made it impossible to sign  a couple of players down the line.  That is the gamble you take when you have the chance to sign a 26 yr old face to your franchise.  This was not signing a good player to fill a hole. This was a chance at your stud for the next 6-8 years.  

Now if they take the Manny money and sign 2 or 3 high quality FA's  next year then maybe they can regain face. 

So basically, something they haven't managed to accomplish since the 2004-2005 seasons...or at the very least, Danks/Floyd/Alexei/Ramirez/Dotel/Linebrink in 2007/08.

Gotta love the odds there.

(No, Robertson/Cabrera/LaRoche/Beckham/Bonifacio and whatever veteran garbage catcher we probably added doesn't count.)

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The friends thing is what doesn't jive with me the most of everything. It's the thing that bothers me the most. If you're going to be a penny pinching organization in regards to free agency, what the fuck are you doing wasting 13 million dollars on some guys to entice another player? Give that 13 million to him. How stupid can you be to do that? Amazing, honestly. 

The arrogance helped them sign season ticket packages - anyone that doesn't see that angle is just missing the boat. It was a bait and switch move, imo, and unacceptable. 

I'd have no issues if they didn't act like they were getting him - talking about planning for years to get Machado. 

PLEASE DON'T FORGET, THIS IS THE TEAM THAT WAS FLOATING THE IDEA OF TRADING ASSETS! TO HAVE MACHADO FOR ONE YEAR TO SELL HIM ON THE FRANCHISE. This team almost traded future assets to not even have the high offer on the table for the guy. That should have been a red flag to begin with, but I missed it. 

Who hacked your account? Russians? Phillies' fans?

4 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Stage two of the forum rebuild will be when most of these prospects bust out.  People are going to lose their damn minds.  This site might wanna sell, or move the server to another city.

It will inevitably be rescued by a community mental health block grant...as a public service to avoid more long-term psychological impacts from being born a White Sox fan. 

(Except now it feels more like the Patty Hearst kidnapping as a fan.)

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Who hacked your account? Russians? Phillies' fans?

I was upset with the Machado thing from the start. It's not the end of the rebuild or the world to me, but I was furious with Kenny using the kids as an excuse. That's unacceptable when he got the fans to by in on the rebuild because they claimed they would supplement them with elite talent in free agency. 

People don't even talk about the Sox seriously considering trading assets for Machado to sell him on the organization. They're delusional. 

The fact that I didn't say angry mean things every single post made me holier than thou to some I guess though.

20 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He was actually the biggest Sox cheerleader in the world heading into 2018.

Nah, it was 2015 when he switched. Balta and I were pretty vocal in ripping the FO throughout the 2016 regular season. 

I was actually half joking when I said that Tatis would become an uber prospect on the day of the Shields trade. Nobody could have thought it would get THIS bad. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 hours ago, justBLAZE said:

This might deserve it's own thread.

EDIT: Quick takeaways, Sox were out on Harper because they knew it would take longer commitment than they were willing to give Machado.

Stars absolutely want to come play for Sox, it was expressed so at the meetings, however Sox weren't able to afford.

PUKE.

These guys should really put a gag order on themselves.  I am honestly embarrassed for him after reading this article.

30 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Nah, it was 2015 when he switched. Balta and I were pretty vocal in ripping the FO throughout the 2016 regular season. 

I was actually half joking when I said that Tatis would become an uber prospect on the day of the Shields trade. Nobody could have thought it would get THIS bad. 

You must have missed the 2-3 month period where the "White Sox were going to eviscerate/spit out every single opponent for a half decade" period of his posting.

Balta...when exactly was that, what specifically triggered the positive change, and then turned you back to the "dark side"?

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You must have missed the 2-3 month period where the "White Sox were going to eviscerate/spit out every single opponent for a half decade" period of his posting.

Balta...when exactly was that, what specifically triggered the positive change, and then turned you back to the "dark side"?

I tried to stay positive through 2017-18 but Kopech's injury pushed me over the edge. 

27 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I tried to stay positive through 2017-18 but Kopech's injury pushed me over the edge. 

At least you've taken on the Don Quixote-like task for defending Lucas Giolito for all posterity...did you go to Harvard-Westlake in LA?

Family in the film industry? 

Just joshing with you.  And we know no matter what happens in baseball, Lucas will basically end up on his feet in terms of his future career plans/endeavors.   That's more than we can say for the majority of professional athletes.

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

At least you've taken on the Don Quixote-like task for defending Lucas Giolito for all posterity...did you go to Harvard-Westlake in LA?

Family in the film industry? 

Just joshing with you.  And we know no matter what happens in baseball, Lucas will basically end up on his feet in terms of his future career plans/endeavors.   That's more than we can say for the majority of professional athletes.

Not at all. lol. born in the West Suburbs, been in Elgin since I was a toddler. 

I don't really defend him per se, I just realize what he is since the trade, which is a complete lottery ticket and I wish that people would realize that he's still got talent and that anything they get out of him is gravy. I'm rooting for the guy. He's gone through a ton of adversity and I hope he can push through and be successful as a pitcher.  I've liked him since he was a draft prospect and I wonder how his career would have been different if the Sox would have had the stones to draft him instead of Courtney Hawkins. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

24 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not at all. lol. born in the West Suburbs, been in Elgin since I was a toddler. 

I don't really defend him per se, I just realize what he is since the trade, which is a complete lottery ticket and I wish that people would realize that he's still got talent and that anything they get out of him is gravy. I'm rooting for the guy. He's gone through a ton of adversity and I hope he can push through and be successful as a pitcher.  I've liked him since he was a draft prospect and I wonder how his career would have been different if the Sox would have had the stones to draft him instead of Courtney Hawkins. 

Well, we wouldn't have had that now infamous back-flip on the stage.  The highlight of his entire Sox career, and the only surprising aspect looking back on it all was that he didn't blow out a knee or Achilles' or suffer the Jared Mitchell right then and there before his career could even get started.

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

He was actually the biggest Sox cheerleader in the world heading into 2018.

I genuinely liked the rebuilding path and the rebuilding deals because it set us up SO WELL for this free agency period. It was the set of moves we should have made years beforehand. I made one clear mistake: assuming that the fact they competently handled the sell-off trades meant they had some shred of actual competence. Well, another lesson learned this month, they aren't just incompetent, they hate me for expecting better.

I'm thinking about going to the Ferrari dealership today with 10 grand in my pocket.  I think I'll post some Instagram pictures of myself swaggering in (#blessed), maybe buy me one of those Ferrari keychains just to show I'm serious.  Imagine that - little old me at the Ferrari dealership.  The salesman just called me sir!  It's anybody's guess how it will all go down, but when it's all said and done you can't deny I'm kind of a player.  I mean, here I am.

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I'm thinking about going to the Ferrari dealership today with 10 grand in my pocket.  I think I'll post some Instagram pictures of myself swaggering in (#blessed), maybe buy me one of those Ferrari keychains just to show I'm serious.  Imagine that - little old me at the Ferrari dealership.  The salesman just called me sir!  It's anybody's guess how it will all go down, but when it's all said and done you can't deny I'm kind of a player.  I mean, here I am.

You might have to change your member name to whatever is the opposite of swarm...smattering or trickle.  At any rate, good stuff!

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I genuinely liked the rebuilding path and the rebuilding deals because it set us up SO WELL for this free agency period. It was the set of moves we should have made years beforehand. I made one clear mistake: assuming that the fact they competently handled the sell-off trades meant they had some shred of actual competence. Well, another lesson learned this month, they aren't just incompetent, they hate me for expecting better.

The trades weren't even that great. I love the Quintana and Kahnle deals but man...they got absolutely hosed in the Sale trade and the Eaton deal wasn't much better. The Red Sox fed the Sox a bunch of overrated garbage, Nationals the same but at least Eaton isn't a surefire Hall of Famer.

8 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

The trades weren't even that great. I love the Quintana and Kahnle deals but man...they got absolutely hosed in the Sale trade and the Eaton deal wasn't much better. The Red Sox fed the Sox a bunch of overrated garbage, Nationals the same but at least Eaton isn't a surefire Hall of Famer.

The White Sox got a S***ton of talent back in the Sale and Eaton trades. I'll even give a pass on Kopech's injury as those are things that happen and players come back from that (DeGrom). They need to develop those guys. Lopez should show promise this year, Giolito needs to show promise this year otherwise what are they paying Cooper for, and the org has messed around with Moncada so much already that who knows what he's even doing, but maybe eventually with him talent wins out.

IMO, if those guys substantially bust, then it's on the organization's development, coaching, and training staff, and on management's decisions about when to call them up and what position to play them at, because the talent is there.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

The White Sox got a S***ton of talent back in the Sale and Eaton trades. I'll even give a pass on Kopech's injury as those are things that happen and players come back from that (DeGrom). They need to develop those guys. Lopez should show promise this year, Giolito needs to show promise this year otherwise what are they paying Cooper for, and the org has messed around with Moncada so much already that who knows what he's even doing, but maybe eventually with him talent wins out.

IMO, if those guys substantially bust, then it's on the organization's development, coaching, and training staff more than anyone else, because the talent is there.

I don't think there ever was much talent with Moncada. He can't hit major league pitching. If there was ever a flaw you don't want a guy to have that's it. I don't see it getting better with him and I think the Red Sox knew it was a serious likelihood that his poor hitting skills won't kill him in the majors. The Sox had better deals on the table but their shitty scouting did the equivalent of googling "best mlb prospects 2016" then took the deal that looked best according to that.

The Eaton trade I grant a pass on, because Eaton was stupidly overrated. Even more stupidly overrated than the over hyped pitchers they got in that trade.

5 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

I don't think there ever was much talent with Moncada. He can't hit major league pitching. If there was ever a flaw you don't want a guy to have that's it. I don't see it getting better with him and I think the Red Sox knew it was a serious likelihood that his poor hitting skills won't kill him in the majors. The Sox had better deals on the table but their shitty scouting did the equivalent of googling "best mlb prospects 2016" then took the deal that looked best according to that.

The Eaton trade I grant a pass on, because Eaton was stupidly overrated. Even more stupidly overrated than the over hyped pitchers they got in that trade.

A few days of watching Moncada at the plate an in the field and the talent is obvious. Whether he harnesses that talent I have no idea - that takes work and coaching to overcome your weaknesses. Too many strikeouts is not a question of talent, the talent is absolutely there, and we've seen guys become really good hitters who had that issue before - it's a question of coaching and development, which means...ugh this franchise matters. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

A few days of watching Moncada at the plate an in the field and the talent is obvious. Whether he harnesses that talent I have no idea - that takes work and coaching to overcome your weaknesses. Too many strikeouts is not a question of talent, the talent is absolutely there, and we've seen guys become really good hitters who had that issue before - it's a question of coaching and development, which means...ugh this franchise matters. 

Think of it this way: if the Red Sox looked at Moncada and thought they couldn't develop his potential what on earth would give you any hope he even stays above water under the tutelage of the White Sox?