Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

I picked a random game thread in September of ‘05, and lo and behold, there was fathom being negative (at least he was talking about pre-ALDS El Duque). ElRockinMT was still being super positive, too. Or is EMinor3rd the eternal optimist?

Wish I remembered my old screen names. Seems like getting banned every few months on ESPN, then MLB, then Soxtalk was an online teenage tradition for me. I don’t think I ever lasted more than a week or so on WSI, for what it’s worth.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Sir said:

I picked a random game thread in September of ‘05, and lo and behold, there was fathom being negative (at least he was talking about pre-ALDS El Duque). ElRockinMT was still being super positive, too. Or is EMinor3rd the eternal optimist?

Wish I remembered my old screen names. Seems like getting banned every few months on ESPN, then MLB, then Soxtalk was an online teenage tradition for me. I don’t think I ever lasted more than a week or so on WSI, for what it’s worth.

I remember Nukeem. By far my favorite poster.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

what happened to all these old posters you guys talk of? Seems like we need a reunion

Well, psycho2003, an angry teenager who everyone hated because he called a popular elderly poster a pedophile because said poster was trying to arrange a meeting with a 15 y/o in PMs, turned into The Sir, an angry adult who doesn’t give a shit what anyone thinks. So there’s that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

what happened to all these old posters you guys talk of? Seems like we need a reunion

I remember the days when I posted at least 15 times a day...last 8 or so years been maybe 15 times a year.  I remember spending so much time on here.  The last decade has taken its toll on me LOL.

45 minutes ago, MEANS said:

Man I wanted to see 2004, when I first joined but it only goes back to ‘05.

39 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Glad you guys took my advice . looking up the old threads. You're welcome :gosox1:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

I remember the days when I posted at least 15 times a day...last 8 or so years been maybe 15 times a year.  I remember spending so much time on here.  The last decade has taken its toll on me LOL.

I'm still fairly young and naive so I'm at where you used to be haha

19 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Well, psycho2003, an angry teenager who everyone hated because he called a popular elderly poster a pedophile because said poster was trying to arrange a meeting with a 15 y/o in PMs, turned into The Sir, an angry adult who doesn’t give a shit what anyone thinks. So there’s that.

That is remarkable lmao

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What's kind of weird is that back then you couldn't press the button and like love laugh or trophy the posts but you can now. I felt like loving every post in the World Series winning thread but I didn't.

"Somebody reacted to a post in CHAMPS BABY!"

Sheesh. Woke up half expecting to hear Manny told Brian Cashman to go f*** a goat or something. I’m shocked, shocked I tell you that he went to dinner lol. We all knew this was going to happen. We’ll get the same tomorrow from Philly. I think it gets a little crazy during the weekend. 

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I was here back then, joined in August 2004. This place was jumpin' in the playoffs and World Series. Hope to get back to that.

No kidding. I joined in February 2005. Not too long after the Lee to Milwaukee trade. That discussion really started it off with the "it wasn't just the players the Sox got but the payroll flexibility of getting out of that contract" idea.

The White Sox biggest problem is obviously their irrelevance. It is something they have seemingly accepted the last decade. Even when they are “going for it” they do it like the Reds or Pirates would do it. Not like the teams that these guys really want to play for do it. 

Signing one of these guys will help them perhaps overcome this. But it’s a chicken/egg thing. I fully expect to hear Harper and/or Machado say some really nice things about the White Sox, just like Torii Hunter after he blew KW off., when they blow off the team. Some will thinkthat means the team turned a corner. To me, for that corner to be turned the target needs to be signed.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

Lol yeah I definitely have the same issue. Rarely post anymore but I’m always browsing on the forum. I’m glad many here are still active and contributing to the site’s success. 

Every day I’m browsing back 5-10 pages to catch up on all the wild twitter speculation concerning Machado and Harper. I know we’re all hoping for a quick answer (hopefully to pur benefit), but I’m betting a decision will be reached by both players after Christmas

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox biggest problem is obviously their irrelevance. It is something they have seemingly accepted the last decade. Even when they are “going for it” they do it like the Reds or Pirates would do it. Not like the teams that these guys really want to play for do it. 

Signing one of these guys will help them perhaps overcome this. But it’s a chicken/egg thing. I fully expect to hear Harper and/or Machado say some really nice things about the White Sox, just like Torii Hunter after he blew KW off., when they blow off the team. Some will thinkthat means the team turned a corner. To me, for that corner to be turned the target needs to be signed.

Torii Hunter blew off KW because the Angel's offered him more money after he agreed to a deal with the Sox. He was using the Sox as  a bargaining chip. Hopefully the Sox are offering the most money this time because as we know that's the only thing that matters. The Sox being irrelevant is irrelevant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Signing either player will be a huge step towards legitimizing our rebuild to the public. I agree with your chicken/egg scenario, especially when it comes to fan perception. I know must on these forums, the die-hard Sox fans, know Machado or Harper alone isn’t going to be that missing piece to a World Series. What it does most importantly is create buzz, increase revenue (whether through ticket sales or merchandise) and get the casual fans excited for the future. There WILL be more fans in seats.  Is it unreasonable to expect a minimum, 10-15 game turnaround in the standings? And that will be considered a success! It can be spun as improvement, a step towards building a consistent playoff contender. 

We no longer can say, “can’t spend a dollar when you have 50 cents” because at this moment, we have the capability of signing either player. I compare this point in time to the rebuild before it began. Some were afraid the fans would further abandon the team, or that management would screw everything up and further delay our return to the playoffs. It was almost this complacency of, well - we haven’t done it before, so that means we probably won’t do it. No, we haven’t broken the piggy bank open in quite awhile; but maybe now we should. Of course the signing could fail and either player could be ineffective/injured; thus financially crippling us. But it’s worth trying to improve the team through means previously untouched, much like the rebuild. We have the resources to get it done, and in this division, an unexpected year from a few players may be enough to atleast have September baseball mean something again

Edited by Flash Tizzle
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Torii Hunter blew off KW because the Angel's offered him more money after he agreed to a deal with the Sox. He was using the Sox as  a bargaining chip. Hopefully the Sox are offering the most money this time because as we know that's the only thing that matters. The Sox being irrelevant is irrelevant. 

The Sox being irrelevant doesn’t help matters, but you’re correct that money is by far the most important factor.  If Reinsdorf truly won’t be outbid, the chances we land one of these guys is pretty high.  We just go to hope that is the case and Jerry has a blank check on the table for these guys.

• Quin locked this topic