Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

Are any of the Chavez-talk threads still out there?  I remember being on here, I think at the beginning of the 05 season when I was in high school, posting like a dumbass high school kid would but living and dying on every game of that season...eventually lost the login info to that old username and created this one, but man that was that a fun time.  

13 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Are any of the Chavez-talk threads still out there?  I remember being on here, I think at the beginning of the 05 season when I was in high school, posting like a dumbass high school kid would but living and dying on every game of that season...eventually lost the login info to that old username and created this one, but man that was that a fun time.  

Man I remember those, though I was only a lurker here with no account. Those were my WSI posting days...

31 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

5 posts in the last 4 years 😳

Who else can we call out of the darkness of lurking?!

👋

I have less than 100 posts in 13 years.  I probably don't matter, just wanted to say it's nice to see the old regulars.  

• Like 2

The dude that sat in Reinsdorf's office and he, JR and Frank Thomas were the only three people that ever saw Frank Thomas contract was the king of ESPN board and then Soxtalk.  I was off the board for a couple of months when I had a different job and when I got back he was gone.

Never really got the epic story of his being run out of town.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Roman, is that you?

Hey! That's another one of mine. Forgot all about that one. Psycho, TheOldRoman, Spaniard, and quite a few others. Spaniard might have been an ESPN nic though. I don't even know if those boards still exist.

I am morbidly curious whatever happened to my old "friend". Weird mf'er was messaging me to say he wanted to come to my HS graduation in another state. I put it on the board for one reason or another, and everyone flipped out. That's how I remember it, anyhow.

34 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Wow!, I was 15 then, and had a similar experience, but I'll never forget game one. I remember staying home from school, to watch the first game, with Early Wynn pitching for the Sox. That first game was the highlight of the Series for me, with the Sox winning big, shutting out the Dodgers, 11 to nothing. The sobering fact was that my mother refused to write an "excuse" note for me.

The next day, I presented my homeroom teacher with a note from my mother. In it, she explained that she couldn't make me come to school, because I simply wouldn't miss the opening game of the World Series. The teacher immediately sent me to the Principal's office. After contritely and sheepishly listening to him lecture me about how such behavior was not acceptable, and what a bad example it would be for other students, he pointed out that "it really wasn't a very good game, after all, because it was so one-sided," to which I immediately perked up and excitedly replied: "Oh no, it was great. Wynn pitched a shut out and Ted Kluszewski hit 2 homers. It was fantastic!!" He just sent me back to my homeroom, with a feigned stern look, but I could see that he really struggled to hold back a smile.

Thanks for reminding me. You must be about one year younger than I am. These young Sox fans think that they've suffered for so long. In those early days, there was never any doubt about who would win the American League Pennant. It was always a race for second place. The Yankees could have had their World Series tickets printed, before opening day. I don't know, maybe they actually did. But the Go, Go Sox surprised everyone, in '59. 

That '59 season  is what made me a life-long Sox fan.  My father was extremely hyped over the evil empire not winning and his enthusiasm branded me for life.  I stayed home from school and got to see Mazeroski stick it to the Yanks the next year.  Luckily a note for my school absence wasn't an issue.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox biggest problem is obviously their irrelevance. It is something they have seemingly accepted the last decade. Even when they are “going for it” they do it like the Reds or Pirates would do it. Not like the teams that these guys really want to play for do it. 

Signing one of these guys will help them perhaps overcome this. But it’s a chicken/egg thing. I fully expect to hear Harper and/or Machado say some really nice things about the White Sox, just like Torii Hunter after he blew KW off., when they blow off the team. Some will thinkthat means the team turned a corner. To me, for that corner to be turned the target needs to be signed.

This is the same thing we see with the Bulls. Lebron said the meeting was the best, Wade said he almost signed, yada yada yada. Get the job done once and open the floodgates. It may just be the Sox and Bulls can't relate to young athletes. 

• Like 1

• Quin locked this topic