**Movies that we Watch** Thread

Brian

3 hours ago, bmags said:

So...Another point in Gerwigs favor then! 

Yes, but she's hardly a "mainstream" actress like a Hanks/Clooney/Eastwood/Favreau/Costner...let's just put it this way, if you ask the majority of Americans who Greta Gerwig is, and what movies she's acted in, the recognition level will be around 3-5%, maybe.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/oscar-2020-nominations-snubs-surprises-joker-jennifer-lopez-oscarssowhite-beyonce-153624963.html

Dolemite is My Name should have gotten at least ONE nomination, that was ridiculous.

And there's NO WAY IN HELL Joker is one of the nine best films and deserving of 10+ nominations, let alone 5.

A GREAT performance from Joaquin Phoenix...and hitting the zeitgeist in terms of the current political climate almost exactly...but nope.

Edited by caulfield12

• Brian changed the title to **Movies that we Watch** Thread
On 1/14/2020 at 11:58 PM, Brian said:

I'd like everyone's opinion on the ending to Parasite after they see it. No spoilers though. :)

Mixed reaction, but doesn’t take away from the brilliance of the first 85% of the film.

It is a bit jarring, but his style has always been to provoke an almost visceral reaction.  I think Shoplifters (Japanese film) is equally potent, but didn't receive nearly as much attention from the press/critics.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

How many men under age 35 do you know who’ve watched the movie...and didn’t do it at the urging of wife or gf?

Just curious. 

But also did you read the article? It’s logic was juvenile. The same could be said for any comic book movie. 

Bad Boys 4 Life is actually pretty good...Martin Lawrence steals the show, and even Will Smith was tolerable reprising his career-defining role from 25 long years ago.   Michael Bay cameos for 30 seconds, thankfully he didn’t direct or the #metoo movement would have boycotted.

Need a Bay fix, just watch 6 Underground instead.

On 1/15/2020 at 5:33 PM, caulfield12 said:

How many men under age 35 do you know who’ve watched the movie...and didn’t do it at the urging of wife or gf?

Just curious. 

Don’t make a movie that an entire sex and/or age group doesn’t want to see.  You don’t see chewing gum companies manufacturing dog shit-flavored gum, do you?  Cuz they know it won’t sell.  Just like how the production company should’ve known that the majority of men weren’t going to see a movie called “Little Women.”  😂

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Don’t make a movie that an entire sex and/or age group doesn’t want to see.  You don’t see chewing gum companies manufacturing dog shit-flavored gum, do you?  Cuz they know it won’t sell.  Just like how the production company should’ve known that the majority of men weren’t going to see a movie called “Little Women.”  😂

That’s where the whole four quadrant movie theory comes from.  It’s definitely going to struggle with the majority of males under 35, unless they’re huge classical lit or Florence Pugh/Ronan fans.   They will get the girls...at least some, with Timothy Chalamet.   At least something like The Handmaid’s Tale is told in an interesting fashion, I’m also not sure the flashbacks work as well here.

1st quadrant 
male 
under 25
2nd quadrant 
female 
under 25
3rd quadrant 
male 
over 25
4th quadrant 
female 
over 25
Edited by caulfield12

1917 was really intense. 

There was three bigger named actors in the beginning, middle and end of the movie.  All had very short appearances, I wonder if that had any meaning behind it or was just to have some bigger names in the movie.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Didn't hear this criticism of "Four Brothers"

34 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

1917 was really intense. 

There was three bigger named actors in the beginning, middle and end of the movie.  All had very short appearances, I wonder if that had any meaning behind it or was just to have some bigger names in the movie.

Haven't seen it yet, but my assumption is that every big-budget british film needs to invite every british actor or they get upset.

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

Haven't seen it yet, but my assumption is that every big-budget british film needs to invite every british actor or they get upset.

Kind of what I figured.  I like all three of the actors, was hoping they would be in it more.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 6:18 AM, Moan4Yoan said:

Yeah I'm sure they're shocked it wouldn't market well to men, they love the book.

21 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Yeah I'm sure they're shocked it wouldn't market well to men, they love the book.

Well, the other point here is lots of movies are made every year (usually with lower production budgets) targeting African American audiences (Tyler Perry/Barbershop), Hispanic audiences, Asian audiences (Crazy Rich Asians), Christian/born-again ecumenical audiences, older conservative males (most Eastwood films these days), whatever.

It’s up to the studios to market them effectively.  The best example is Get Out and Us successfully attracting an audience from across the spectrum.  Even American Sniper managed to appeal to many Americans.

It still comes down to making GOOD films...and the audience will discover them.  Movies like Parasite and The Farewell immediately come to mind as foreign language films that have succeeded in crossing over to mainstream audiences.

Greta Gerwig was able to bring together a talented cast for Little Women, and the story probably would have been told in a slightly different way by a male director.  That’s a positive thing...just like getting rid of Michael Bay’s leering camera shots of every woman from the waist down getting out of a car in his movies.

2 hours ago, Heads22 said:

Apparently, they were.  Did you read the article that caufield linked that I was referencing?

https://www.city-journal.org/little-women

Amy Pascal, the movie’s producer, had tweeted that men were not attending screenings of the Greta Gerwig–directed movie due to “unconscious bias” against women.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

20 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, the other point here is lots of movies are made every year (usually with lower production budgets) targeting African American audiences (Tyler Perry/Barbershop), Hispanic audiences, Asian audiences (Crazy Rich Asians), Christian/born-again ecumenical audiences, older conservative males (most Eastwood films these days), whatever.

It’s up to the studios to market them effectively.  The best example is Get Out and Us successfully attracting an audience from across the spectrum.  Even American Sniper managed to appeal to many Americans.

It still comes down to making GOOD films...and the audience will discover them.  Movies like Parasite and The Farewell immediately come to mind as foreign language films that have succeeded in crossing over to mainstream audiences.

Greta Gerwig was able to bring together a talented cast for Little Women, and the story probably would have been told in a slightly different way by a male director.  That’s a positive thing...just like getting rid of Michael Bay’s leering camera shots of every woman from the waist down getting out of a car in his movies.

Reading your posts you'd think little women bombed instead of making $130 million worldwide on a $40 million budget.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Apparently, they were.  Did you read the article that caufield linked that I was referencing?

https://www.city-journal.org/little-women

Amy Pascal, the movie’s producer, had tweeted that men were not attending screenings of the Greta Gerwig–directed movie due to “unconscious bias” against women.

I couldn't even find where Pascal had a twitter account. And bmags view of that opinion piece wasn't wrong.

• 2 weeks later...