**Movies that we Watch** Thread

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

LOL!  Will Smith & Chris Rock, wtf was that?

I couldn't believe it. My audio got cut so I didn't get to hear the exchange, but it sure sounded pretty real to me when I saw it on Twitter. If it wasn't, that's some good acting lol. 

Edited by chw42

36 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I couldn't believe it. My audio got cut so I didn't get to hear the exchange, but it sure sounded pretty real to me when I saw it on Twitter. If it wasn't, that's some good acting lol. 

Chris Rock made a joke about his wife being bald (said she’d be in GI Jane 2). She has no hair because she has alopecia, so he was literally making fun of her disability. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Chris Rock made a joke about his wife being bald (said she’d be in GI Jane 2). She has no hair because she has alopecia, so he was literally making fun of her disability. 

Yeah I understood why he was pissed, but he literally was laughing at the joke. He went from laughing to pissed off enough to go slap Chris Rock in about 5 seconds. You can see Jada rolling her eyes at the joke, so it could be that Will Smith saw she got pissed and he overreacted. 

• Like 1

Just now, chw42 said:

Yeah I understood why he was pissed, but he literally was laughing at the joke. He went from laughing to pissed off enough to go slap Chris Rock in about 5 seconds. You can see Jada rolling her eyes at the joke, so it could be that Will Smith saw she got pissed and he overreacted. 

He didn’t get that it was a disability joke at first. Once he got it, well.

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He didn’t get that it was a disability joke at first. Once he got it, well.

I mean, the Twitter group "defending" Will Smith is just insane. And so is the rest of Hollywood for giving him a standing O for winning an Oscar moments later. 

It was a joke, from a legendary comedian. Will Smith had ZERO right to put his hands on him. 

I guess bald jokes can only be directed at men. 

I didn't watch but saw the video. I've heard better bald jokes in my day, but Will was laughing until he got a look at the boss. Defending her is noble, but not in that way. He should have gone to jail. Rock refused to press charges but why should he have to, the incident is there for everyone to see.

• Like 2

Earlier in the show, Amy Shumer paid tribute to the couples in the room. Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz. Will Smith and Jada Pinkett. And Jake and Maggie Gylenhall (brother and sister).

Should Jake Gylenhall have walked on stage and slapped Amy Shumer for implying an incestual relationship?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tony said:

I mean, the Twitter group "defending" Will Smith is just insane. And so is the rest of Hollywood for giving him a standing O for winning an Oscar moments later. 

It was a joke, from a legendary comedian. Will Smith had ZERO right to put his hands on him. 

I’d be interested to know how much of that room truly understood what happened considering how long it took to find out it was real only with help of Twitter. 

32 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’d be interested to know how much of that room truly understood what happened considering how long it took to find out it was real only with help of Twitter. 

Great point. The reactions today as folks in the room sober up and fully understand will be interesting.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

By the hush of the audience, after Will Smith started shouting at Rock, it seemed like that's when most knew it was "real" 

Just so crazy that Will Smith would get up literally minutes later and give a speech on showing love. being God's vessel....after literally walking up to a guy and slapping the shit out of him for making a joke about his wife's hair loss. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

39 minutes ago, Tony said:

By the hush of the audience, after Will Smith started shouting at Rock, it seemed like that's when most knew it was "real" 

Just so crazy that Will Smith would get up literally minutes later and give a speech on showing love. being God's vessel....after literally walking up to a guy and slapping the shit out of him for making a joke about his wife's hair loss. 

Maybe but then things resumed as normal. 

I feel bad for Williams sisters who had their dad dragged into it with Smith invoking him as why he would have done that, and a moment that probably would have led to more people watching that film ...well, I guess there could be a Streisand-y type effect.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tony said:

I didn't see it, but read the transcript.  The tone of the words sounded like "I need to be better than this" vs holier than thou type of a speech. 

5 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Earlier in the show, Amy Shumer paid tribute to the couples in the room. Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz. Will Smith and Jada Pinkett. And Jake and Maggie Gylenhall (brother and sister).

Should Jake Gylenhall have walked on stage and slapped Amy Shumer for implying an incestual relationship?

Jada shaved her head because of a medical condition, and making jokes about that is out of line. Will could have handled it better but that joke was out of line.

If Jada had shaved her head by pure choice, then that's fair game.

3 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Jada shaved her head because of a medical condition, and making jokes about that is out of line. Will could have handled it better but that joke was out of line.

If Jada had shaved her head by pure choice, then that's fair game.

Is an incest joke out of line?

Is it for sure that he actually made contact with him?  I haven't followed this very closely but the one shot I saw made me wonder if he actually made contact.  If he did - I have no idea how Chris Rock wasn't more impacted by it.  Like if someone just cold clocked me I don't think I would have reacted in that same manner (in terms of not being at the very least stunned).