Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

I'm worried about this 200 million thing. It could be a smokescreen, but every time I've though that, it appears to be true a few days later. 

If it's true worst case, 200 million gets you laughed out of the room shortly. 

Best case, 200 gets it done and there's 0 chance there isn't a strike.

It's not true 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

I'm worried about this 200 million thing. It could be a smokescreen, but every time I've though that, it appears to be true a few days later. 

If it's true worst case, 200 million gets you laughed out of the room shortly. 

Best case, 200 gets it done and there's 0 chance there isn't a strike.

Don't be worried.

Nightengale is Kenny's long time mouthpiece.  The front office is either is putting the 200 number out there to hide what they are actually offering OR the Sox (and everyone else) is still around that number and they are saying to other organizations  "Lets not start a bidding war, we aren't raising our offer, let the guy choose where he wants to play".

Edited by GREEDY

Just now, bmags said:

Oh sorry.

I think the connection he may have drawn is that the big neon walkway in o'hare is called "sky's the limit". I don't believe there is a neon sign anywhere saying that though, but I could be wrong! I've never been in the fancy lounges.

No apologies necessary.  Just curious what @Whitesox27 concluded from it.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Correct, I am referring to that neon sign.  But Mike seemed to indicate that that sign was in one of the Chicago airports (I don't know one way or the other).  Didn't see it blow up, so figured it wasn't accurate, but wanted to ask. 

There is a neon light filled walk way at O'Hare called "Sky's The Limit". Machado was proven to be at O'Hare a couple weeks ago when he had that original meeting with the Sox (that has been confirmed on Twitter). Whether that "Sky's The Limit" picture he posted on his story last night is a photo of a sign at O'Hare I really don't know but I'm just trying to put 2 and 2 together. There's probably a way to reverse image search that photo to see where it was taken but I don't know how to do it. Either way it doesn't really seem like a coincidence to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Don't be worried.

Nightengale is Kenny's long time mouthpiece.  The front office is either is putting the 200 number out there to hide what they are actually offering OR the Sox (and everyone else) is still around that number and they are saying to other organizations  "Lets not start a bidding war, we aren't raising our offer, let the guy choose where he wants to play".

I said the same thing about the 7 years report

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

There is a neon light filled walk way at O'Hare called "Sky's The Limit". Machado was proven to be at O'Hare a couple weeks ago when he had that original meeting with the Sox (that has been confirmed on Twitter). Whether that "Sky's The Limit" picture he posted on his story last night is a photo of a sign at O'Hare I really don't know but I'm just trying to put 2 and 2 together. There's probably a way to reverse image search that photo to see where it was taken but I don't know how to do it. Either way it doesn't really seem like a coincidence to me.

I just don't believe a professional installation would be so sloppy with the wires to and from the sign. It looks like a house fixture...maybe a restaurant.

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Gotcha, thanks for the response. 

If the Machado camp is waiting for 10 years, 325 and we are at 7 years for 200, I think both the Machado camp & White Sox are simply in the middle of negotiations. I  can see them meeting somewhere in the middle at 8 years, $280 million with potential bonus $$ that can reach as high as $300. Between that and an opt out after year 4 or 5, that would likely be too good for Machado to refuse. Get it done, Rick!

Edited by GreatScott82

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

I'm probably reading way too deeply into things at this point. Machado himself might not even know that walk way is called that. 

Neither do 99% of the people who walk through it all the time. I appreciate the investigative work but I really don't think it means anything, it's just a phrase that he likes. It's even been in his Instagram bio for awhile now

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

There’s too many bargains out there to be had for them to call it at Manny, IMO.

True but the who,e purpose of the rebuild was to use the young players as they come up. Unless they can get 1 or 2 year deals,  I wouldn't considerate them significant.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

True but the who,e purpose of the rebuild was to use the young players as they come up. Unless they can get 1 or 2 year deals,  I wouldn't considerate them significant.

Never know with this market - case in point: Grandal

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres