Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

He has, and I have enjoyed his posts. But this winter he has taken on some sort of insider role, even calling people out for being silly. Yet, this is the silliest thing in Soxtalk history.

I don't think you read his post correctly - all he said was the Phillies haven't been negotiating with Manny for weeks.

• Like 1

If its true the Sox are trying to get both Harper and Machado I'd think it more likely they have the top offer for Machado but he's still seeing what he can get on the market, and they're still in contact with Harper to see what it will take to get him signed. They could've pitched them both on playing together as well. They may have also structured the offers for both in a way where it makes sense if they actually sign both (I doubt this is true though).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

No it's not.

Wait, why wouldn't this be believable.

It is ENTIRELY possible that the Phillies were told the Sox offer and simply aren't prepared to beat that offer with the investment they want to make in Harper so they haven't been negotiating because they have no interest in beating that offer right now.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Landing both players is a longshot but the things you can say for that hope are:

1) It's hard to get future payroll this low

2) The Sox seem against the Cub model of major-pitching-FAs and risking contracts with post 30-yr olds

3) If Bryce just frankly likes Chicago, and Manny likes being with his pals, it could be enough leverage

4) Jerry's old

5) Is this stalemate simply because they want to get more teams involved, or is it because the two agents want the other to go first? If it's the latter, and Manny signs first, then there's  a quick flip Bryce can do, which would screw over Philly.

6) The tv station angle

Edited by Princess Dye
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Right...why would they stop negotiating with him?

Because they have no interest in beating the offer the Sox have on the table at the moment?

If an agent tells you this is the offer to beat and you don't want to beat it, what would continued negotiations mean? Maybe if Harper goes somewhere else, they reengage. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Wait, why wouldn't this be believable.

It is ENTIRELY possible that the Phillies were told the Sox offer and simply aren't prepared to beat that offer with the investment they want to make in Harper so they haven't been negotiating because they have no interest in beating that offer right now.

Well, it says here they are still in contact with Manny's rep.  They aren't negotiating. Don't want to be told Manny made his choice....

https://www.mlb.com/news/phillies-still-in-for-machado-harper/c-301405234

• Haha 1

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

So they would stop negotiating with Machado because they don't want to out-spend the Sox offer, but they're going to negotiate and try to get Bryce Harper for likely more? Don't buy it.

Seems pretty logical to me. They don't want to invest in both, and they feel they have a better shot at harper, so they're not going to throw an offer out there to beat the Sox offer if that offer may be accepted and then they lose out on Harper. I'm not sure why this isn't logical - it makes complete sense in a negotiation. 

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

No it's not.

One thing that I believe shack mentioned in one of his articles is the importance for both the Sox and Phillies to ensure that the other one doesn't get Bryce or Manny for too cheap of a deal.  That's important because they don't want one of them to get Manny, for example, and then have enough to go get Harper.  If the Phillies already know the Sox are at a high price for Manny (i.e.280) and won't be able to afford Harper also, then I could see them falling out of the Manny sweepstakes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Seems pretty logical to me. They don't want to invest in both, and they feel they have a better shot at harper, so they're not going to throw an offer out there to beat the Sox offer if that offer may be accepted and then they lose out on Harper. I'm not sure why this isn't logical - it makes complete sense in a negotiation. 

I'm almost certain the Phils would prefer Machado over Harper. If they did beat the Sox offer and got him, then oh well. Sucks for Bryce then. Phillies would be getting the better player.

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'm almost certain the Phils would prefer Machado over Harper. If they did beat the Sox offer and got him, then oh well. Sucks for Bryce then. Phillies would be getting the better player.

Why are you certain of this? The Phillies have been linked to Harper much more, and the Sox offer hasn't been reportedly too high so why wouldn't they just move in and lock him up?

I have no idea why you're certain of this. I tend to believe what was posted above - the Sox and Phillies don't want either team getting a big bargain, but it feels to me the Phillies aren't all-in on Machado.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres