Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

4 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

It's amazing to me how Reinsdorf was willing to alienate the entire fanbase and destroy their trust for 50 million bucks. I guess he doesn't give a shit about us as long as he's making his money.

The fact that the two biggest clown shows in Chicago are the Bulls and White Sox...not hard to see what the problem is here.  I will say tho...I do have a little bit of faith that the Sox will turn the corner in the next few years given the amount of young talent they have.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Yep, worse than White Flag Trade by far

I don't know about worse, but I think comparable. The attendance in 1997 was 1.8 million, 1998 it was 1.3 million. I think they did something comparable. I usually make an effort to go to an away game per year, maybe 2, but after this? Ha, they actually cost the Astros money.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Deep down, I do not believe they understand what they did to the fanbase this offseason. I do not believe they will have any idea until they see next year's season ticket renewals.

I already emailed my rep yesterday after this happened and said this is going to be my last year supporting the team with tickets unless something drastic changes. 

3 minutes ago, Wanne said:

The fact that the two biggest clown shows in Chicago are the Bulls and White Sox...not hard to see what the problem is here.  I will say tho...I do have a little bit of faith that the Sox will turn the corner in the next few years given the amount of young talent they have.

This is accurate. 

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Deep down, I do not believe they understand what they did to the fanbase this offseason. I do not believe they will have any idea until they see next year's season ticket renewals.

I think they know. I don't think they care.

Just now, mqr said:

I think they know. I don't think they care.

I think if they knew, they'd care, because that's actually their money. Several hundred thousand fewer tickets sold is money out of their pockets. The TV packages, the ads, the merchandise that isn't purchased - that's their money. 

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

To be fair, one thing we don't know is if the Padres would have gone even higher than 10/300 if the Sox were willing to hit 300?

Maybe, but the current deal has a lower AAV, so failing to counter is stupid. Restructure the deal over 10 years at $300M and see if he takes it. Front load money. If the Padres go up another $10M, and the AAV exceeds $31M (which is where the sox were), then maybe you drop out. I'm not mad that they lost, I'm mad that they lost to that deal, and can't explain why.

1 minute ago, G&T said:

Maybe, but the current deal has a lower AAV, so failing to counter is stupid. Restructure the deal over 10 years at $300M and see if he takes it. Front load money. If the Padres go up another $10M, and the AAV exceeds $31M (which is where the sox were), then maybe you drop out. I'm not mad that they lost, I'm mad that they lost to that deal, and can't explain why.

The only explanation is that they really thought their offer was better. Because from an outside perspective, im not sure why you couldnt convince JR that 10/300 is actually a better deal for the Sox if structured properly. 

And I am mad that they lost. Because I really believe that if they had been this aggressive in early January that maybe Machado takes the deal they offered. Its the exact reason why for over a month I kept saying that you dont do this in a negotiation. 

• Like 2

So just listened to Hahn on the Kaplan show, and holy cow does the organization sound worse and worse as the hours go on.  He told Kaplan that he agreed that he wishes things weren't so visible about their attempts to get Manny.  Wasn't Rick the same one that interrupted a lineup question to Renteria to say something along the lines of "who knows if a 3-4-5 hitter is added"?  Also Hahn again said how much happier he is that the Sox were involved in this than if they were on the sidelines.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

So just listened to Hahn on the Kaplan show, and holy cow does the organization sound worse and worse as the hours go on.  He told Kaplan that he agreed that he wishes things weren't so visible about their attempts to get Manny.  Wasn't Rick the same one that interrupted a lineup question to Renteria to say something along the lines of "who knows if a 3-4-5 hitter is added"?  Also Hahn again said how much happier he is that the Sox were involved in this than if they were on the sidelines.

Get that man a participation trophy.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

They believe they checked the boxes.

1) Total value over $300mil (CHECK)

2) 10 year deal (CHECK)

The problem was that the Sox wanted a way to keep those numbers lower (just in case). 

speaking of checking boxes, I wonder if they'll keep Eloy down in AAA for another year, so they can keep the clock from starting... because the FO is clearly not ready to compete.

I think the thing that hurts the most is that we can't just make this go away now, because we have to look at Yonder Alonso and John Fucking Jay for the next entire season.

I doubt I will go to a single game.

I'm not revoking my fandom, but I would have rather they just DIDN'T EVEN PURSUE HIM.

Play to win or go home, you stupid clowns

2 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I think the thing that hurts the most is that we can't just make this go away now, because we have to look at Yonder Alonso and John Fucking Jay for the next entire season.

I doubt I will go to a single game.

I'm not revoking my fandom, but I would have rather they just DIDN'T EVEN PURSUE HIM.

Play to win or go home, you stupid clowns

Went in on a 10 game package last week.  I was thinking even without a whale, it would be fun to see Eloy, Moncada and Co.  I completely regret it.  Not because they missed, but because of the crap show that the is our FO.  

Edited by turnin' two

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Because they didn't think that number existed from another team.

Yes this is clear from Kenny. He thinks that it works as shaming the padres "ho ho you bid against yourselves, us smart pants did not and we have... oh shit we have nothing to show for it"

8 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

The only explanation is that they really thought their offer was better. Because from an outside perspective, im not sure why you couldnt convince JR that 10/300 is actually a better deal for the Sox if structured properly. 

And I am mad that they lost. Because I really believe that if they had been this aggressive in early January that maybe Machado takes the deal they offered. Its the exact reason why for over a month I kept saying that you dont do this in a negotiation. 

Well said.  I think the mistake was not upping the offer unless they had to--falling back too much on JD Martinez's situation to apply to all FA's in his position.  When they were thinking "let's not bid against ourselves" they failed to see the logic in the reality of the situation being:  Their offer was not good enough for Machado to accept.  They should not have thought that Machado would come around to taking a lower offer because JD Martinez did.  Forget ALL the rumors of other teams getting involved...at that time they realized..."hmmm...our offer has been out there for a while and he's still not accepted it," they should have "bid against themselves" NOT because they wanted to pay more than they needed to, but simply because their current bid was not good enough to close the deal and something better was.  The lack of acceptance on Machado's part should have prompted further movement from the Sox and not their "patient" dependency on a philosophical conclusion drawn from JD Martinez's choice last year.    

19 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

If there is no magic number, why didn't they match 10/300 when Lazano gave them the chance to do so? 

#Incompetence 

No reason to worry about a magic number cap anymore, as they won't be legitimately dealing with top tier free agents in the future. But the clown show will continue.

Edited by Saufley
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saufley said:

No reason to worry about a magic number cap anymore, as they won't be legitimately dealing with top tier free agents in the future. But the clown show will continue.

Exactly.  Free Agent opportunities to sign a hall of famer entering his prime years come once every decade or so? Yup Sox blew heir chance and won’t need to worry about that cap ever again. They can keep pretending there is no cap. But they won’t ever get a chance to sign a player like that for a very long time. Arenado will likely sign an extension and even if He doesn’t, does anyone in their right mind think Sox will win that bidding war. We cant produce superstars. Only other way to get them is to sign them.... let’s stay mired in mediocrity.

56 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

The meatball takes on Twitter make me laugh. A monkey could've turned the farm system from the bottom to the top in one year with Sale/Q/Eaton to jumpstart the rebuild, and if they're not going to spend now, when will they ever? Machado would not have "handcuffed" them at all.

Because what Soxtalk needs now is Twitter's hot takes.

1 hour ago, Whitesox27 said:

The meatball takes on Twitter make me laugh. A monkey could've turned the farm system from the bottom to the top in one year with Sale/Q/Eaton to jumpstart the rebuild, and if they're not going to spend now, when will they ever? Machado would not have "handcuffed" them at all.

"the guys who completely wrecked the farm system for years turned it around by trading historically valuable assets!" is a hell of an argument in favor of those guys