Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

14 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Nope, it doesn’t.  Smith is a clown whose career is based on yelling his stupid takes on things.  His entire screaming argument in that video is that no one is worth a 10 year deal and that the Padres have sucked for a long time.  Amazing take in the Machado signing.

SAS at this point might still have good insights into basketball, I dunno, but ESPN has him doing so many different things that it's impossible for him to stay informed about most of the things he's talking about. 

For  example, has he had to talk about San Diego since he was listing players that could help the Chargers in a game and added TE Hunter Henry to the list when the guy hadn't played a snap all year? 

10 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I've never heard anyone blast Chicago summers until this offseason.

Yeah, that's kind of goofy. Chicago has won favorite visiting city by MLB players multiple times. I could see the weather being a factor if you were playing basketball, but Manny winters in Miami. Chicago weather had nothing to do with it. 

21 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Two days after the fact, and knowing how this played out, I wonder if the team regrets not bidding up?

If they see the contract, they must. $25 million a year for 2 years when they will probably already be gone...why care. If Manny opts out after year 5, he played pretty well for you, and you would have the money you have set aside for him to get someone younger at that time. Supposedly your team would really be rolling then, so you would be a more attractive destination. They thought the SD offer was a bluff, and they lost. 

Edited by Dick Allen

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If they see the contract, they must. $25 million a year for 2 years when they will probably already be gone...why care. If Manny opts out after year 5, he played pretty well for you, and you would have the money you have set aside for him to get someone younger at that time. Supposedly your team would really be rolling then, so you would be a more attractive destination. They thought the SD offer was a bluff, and they lost. 

Yep the Padres contract would have been perfect if the Sox got him with that.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Yeah, that's kind of goofy. Chicago has won favorite visiting city by MLB players multiple times. I could see the weather being a factor if you were playing basketball, but Manny winters in Miami. Chicago weather had nothing to do with it. 

The truth is, athletes want to play in big markets where they can be famous and make money. If I'm making 10-30 million a year I couldn't care less about Chicago winters. People move to Chicago for 100k jobs. Millionaires aren't outside long and have people do they shoveling and other winter difficulties for them. Then you factor in that these warm weather cities are scorching hot, have earthquakes, fires, mudslides, hurricanes, etc when Chicago is beautiful from mid May to mid September. 

6 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I'm over it. This whole situation sucks and we deserved way better but beating a dead horse doesn't accomplish anything at this point. Spring Training games start on Saturday and I've been waiting all winter for baseball to be back. Just going to try to make the best of it.

This is the reason we get screwed over as fans. We cannot let this clowns off the hook for the 1000th time. IRL, if a company was taking our money and dicking off with it, we'd discontinue using that company until they got their shit together. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

This is the reason we get screwed over as fans. We cannot let this clowns off the hook for the 1000th time. IRL, if a company was taking our money and dicking off with it, we'd discontinue using that company until they got their shit together. 

I'm not letting them off the hook. I really don't want to give them a dime of my money for the foreseeable future until they get their shit together. But I can't wallow in pity anymore.

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

I'm not letting them off the hook. I really don't want to give them a dime of my money for the foreseeable future until they get their shit together. But I can't wallow in pity anymore.

That's fair. That is a great outlook. However, they read these boards and twitter to get a gauge of fans feelings. Our anger is the reason they keep trying to spin with tweets, and why Hahn keeps doing a damage control tour. It's not pity at this point, it's letting our voices be heard until they do something about it. Cubs Bulls fans are even joining in on this as they are one in the same. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

That's fair. That is a great outlook. However, they read these boards and twitter to get a gauge of fans feelings. Our anger is the reason they keep trying to spin with tweets, and why Hahn keeps doing a damage control tour. It's not pity at this point, it's letting our voices be heard until they do something about it. Cubs Bulls fans are even joining in on this as they are one in the same. 

I think I've made my voice plenty heard on Twitter even though Reinsdorf will never see any of it. It sucks that he doesn't care about us but I'm not going to let him ruin my love for the Sox. Just gotta make the best of a shitty hand that we were dealt.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

I think I've made my voice plenty heard on Twitter even though Reinsdorf will never see any of it. It sucks that he doesn't care about us but I'm not going to let him ruin my love for the Sox. Just gotta make the best of a shitty hand that we were dealt.

They see it my fellow Sock, they just now need to not see us physically. Even if JR is making money, he will be humiliated if fans don't show. This picture was posted on the Sox Twitter page. 

0000.jpg

22 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

They see it my fellow Sock, they just now need to not see us physically. Even if JR is making money, he will be humiliated if fans don't show. This picture was posted on the Sox Twitter page. 

0000.jpg

New SoxTalk banner idea?  Guess we have to wait for Harper to officially sign with the Phillies first.

1 minute ago, Superstar Lamar said:

I think it would be a perfect time for a reporter to write a nice, long article about the history of JR ownership in this city and how he has made an almost willful effort to destroy the fanbase in order to ultimately move the team.

Yeah. We're so fortunate that the team lucked into a World Series win in 05 otherwise, things could be so much worse.

After a few days of reflecting, I am not as angry as most of you are. I'm not going to cancel my MLB.TV subscription, I am not going to stop trying to go to games, I am not going to stop wearing Sox gear, I am not going to stop following this team. I have loved this game and team too much to throw it away because we missed out on the biggest free agent we have had a chance to get.

Yes I am still angry and defeated that we couldn't take that next step but I am still looking forward to the season and seeing the progression of our young players. The front office needs to change their mindset and I think it is slowly happening just not fast enough for the fan base, we are tired of losing and we want to see the light at the end of the tunnel and without Machado or Harper that light is farther away.

• Like 1
  • Love 1