Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Is there any way this offseason could get any worse for Hahn...I mean, my god, he's looking 10X worse than Beane and Michael Lewis managed to make Kenny Williams appear in Moneyball.

Maybe we just need to create an over 35 league for the White Sox to realistically compete.  Watching Contreras and El Duque out there again would at least elicit some more pleasant memories, and Bobby Jenks can’t be that old yet.  Although he probably weighs 340, give or take.  Would definitely love to see Buehrle allowed to do what he used to love playing around during rain delays before the front office put the kibosh on it.  Rooney and Hagin could come back.

Yes it gets worse if Harper picks the Cubs and it’s revealed Sox were other finalist with a much larger offer.

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Once again... the 175 has nothing to do with that. He didnt sign for 225 or something. He signed for 300 million. Padres wanna say they got involved because he was in at 175 and then determined after a meeting that he was worth 75% more than that and was actually worth the 300 million? 

It took preller that long to get ownership on board would be my guess. You dont say you got involved because the price was only 175 and then sign for 300. That makes no sense at all. If I see something on sale on accident for $1000 and show up to the store and buy it for $1750 I cant claim I bought it because of the sale. 

I think it was SS2K who said this all along. Once you get an owner interested in an acquisition so prestigious, you never know what happens with their killer instinct.  In this case, Fowler and company smelled blood and went for it.

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yes it gets worse if Harper picks the Cubs and it’s revealed Sox were other finalist with a much larger offer.

The odds of that are about as high as the science of the new Chinese film “The Wandering Earth” being spot on.

Seriously, If the Cubs did bring in Harper...I’d be spending more a lot more time this season rooting against them and for everything to blow up in their faces. As far as the Sox, pretty much limited to watching Moncada, Jimenez and Anderson at-bats and then flipping back.

Edited by caulfield12

6 hours ago, flavum said:

But a more desirable location, better road destinations. He goes to the White Sox and their rebuild fails- he would absolutely be miserable playing in that park. 

If the Padres fail, he’s in a great place for five years and then he can leave. 

You've got a problem with 12 road trips to Detroit Cleveland KC and Minneapolis. I suppose he no longer minds hitting at Petco but he would have better numbers at GRF. 

3 hours ago, Black_Jack29 said:

Since they're not necessarily competing this season, I don't have a problem with Palka in the outfield every day. My guess is that Abreu gets traded around the ASB, Alonso moves to 1B, and Palka spends most of his time at DH at that point.

Palka spent the last few seasons bulking up and now he has trimmed down. There must be a reason. 

19 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I never fully convinced myself they were going to sign him. I was like 95% sure with that 5% being another team jumping in later and grabbing him since its happened in free agency in the past. The 5% of me was right.

I figured there was a 30-40% chance that they'd sign him. And that's only because the FA market has been so weak this winter.

23 minutes ago, ItsCalledComiskey said:

No. They are laughing that the Sox paid 4m to Jay and traded for one of Cleveland's over paid players. 

Many of us pointed out how dumb it was to help our MAIN rival (not the Cubs) Cleveland out from under a financial overextension of their own making...but that quickly got buried under the Machado to the Sox expected headlines.

1 hour ago, Sockin said:

Great work from Fegan.

Just read that as well.  The whole thing is one giant gut punch.  One of the comments at the bottom is especially devastating...

"5/$68 million is the largest ever given by the White Sox. 24 teams currently have at least 1 player with a larger contract (many are substantially larger), 17 teams have at least 2 players with larger contracts than has EVER been given by the White Sox once ever. Only 3 teams have stayed below the White Sox largest contract (CLE, OAK, PIT)."

15 minutes ago, SoxFanForever said:

Just read that as well.  The whole thing is one giant gut punch.  One of the comments at the bottom is especially devastating...

"5/$68 million is the largest ever given by the White Sox. 24 teams currently have at least 1 player with a larger contract (many are substantially larger), 17 teams have at least 2 players with larger contracts than has EVER been given by the White Sox once ever. Only 3 teams have stayed below the White Sox largest contract (CLE, OAK, PIT)."

It’s pretty sad that we have to cheer for an old man to die in order for us to ever spend like a normal franchise.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, SoxFanForever said:

We always talk about how payrolls weren’t supported by enough revenue since 2007...that White Sox fans were “underattending” games based on how much was (inefficiently) being spent, but being listed with those 3 organizations is just downright embarrassing.  It’s certainly deflating.  

The crazy part is that each of them has been much more successful in putting together playoff caliber teams...heck, Oakland looked capable of the World Series in the second half of 2014 and then again four years later.

That ignominious list also puts us well behind SD, KC, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Miami/Florida, Tampa Bay, Baltimore, Minnesota, etc.

5 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

That was his expected price before the offseason - 300 million. If the Padres were willing to spend that then it makes no sense that they wouldnt have been in from day 1. 

It's all nonsense to me. They jumped in because they thought the bidding was at 175 and then paid 300 which was the expected sign price before the offseason began? Not buying it.

The Sox front office could learn a thing or two from Preller. Just keep your mouth shut if you have 300 million dollars burning a hole in your wallet and strike like a ninja when the time is right. 

No need to hand out millions of dollars to your targets washed up buddies when you approach it this way. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

There are some ridiculous assumptions in this.  I say it's just about time to close this thread.

The quote was said to be from the Athletic and is said to be a direct quote from Manny.  If those two (Jay, Alonso) were smart they'd give their money back and try to leave the Midwest quietly, maybe avoid playing in Chicago with whatever team they may end up on.  I won't elaborate. 

4 minutes ago, Worldbreaker Palk said:

The quote was said to be from the Athletic and is said to be a direct quote from Manny.  If those two (Jay, Alonso) were smart they'd give their money back and try to leave the Midwest quietly, maybe avoid playing in Chicago with whatever team they may end up on.  I won't elaborate. 

There's no proof that the Sox leaked the 175 offer, and as frustrating it was to hear Alonso/Jay supposedly speak highly of San Diego, I'm sure that's not the reason Manny went there.  Put it this way...if every team was able to offer him the same contract, the Padres and White Sox would probably be in the bottom 10 teams he would have wanted to go to.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

There's no proof that the Sox leaked the 175 offer, and as frustrating it was to hear Alonso/Jay supposedly speak highly of San Diego, I'm sure that's not the reason Manny went there.  Put it this way...if every team was able to offer him the same contract, the Padres and White Sox would probably be in the bottom 10 teams he would have wanted to go to.

Either way this is majorly forked...

5 minutes ago, Worldbreaker Palk said:

I would say that tweet is BS  but look at this tweet from last November:

Rich Harperts Retweeted

good smokescreen here by the padres, who are definitely pursuing machado and will sign him.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Whether it’s true or not, it now becomes part of the Sox urban legend...joining 1919, Disco Demolition Night, Jerry Dybszynski, the White Flag Trade, 1994, Miggy Cabrera, Adam Dunn, the Chris Sale jersey slashing, Drake LaRoche Gate, Ozzie quitting on his team, KW vs. The Big Hurt, etc.