Nolan Arenado to sign extension with the Rockies

Kiebs13

7 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Opt out after 3 years, that's a great contract for Nolan.

It's rather interesting that he'd take an opt-out after year 3 - assuming that means 3 years from now and there's nothing misinterpreted there - because that is the CBA expiration offseason. He could opt out and wind up stuck in the strike with no contract. 

Did anyone really expect Arenado to not resign? His numbers can stay inflated for the rest of his career and HOF becomes a possibility.

And THIS is why Machado was so important. Our prospects will probably hit pretty well...but not grabbing  a star or two FA pieces...we will be stuck behind the Yankees, Red Sox and Astros when they are really ready in 20 or 21. This news is not shocking, but reiterates why 10/300 is such a slap into the fan's face. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Haha 1

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

Did anyone really expect Arenado to not resign? His numbers can stay inflated for the rest of his career and HOF becomes a possibility.

And THIS is why Machado was so important. Our prospects will probably hit pretty well...but being stuck without a star or two FA pieces...we will be stuck behind the Yankees, Red Sox and Astros when they are really ready in 20 or 21. This news is not shocking, but reiterates why 10/300 is such a slap into the fan's face. 

Honestly, I did not think the Rockies would come forward with that kind of money.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It's rather interesting that he'd take an opt-out after year 3 - assuming that means 3 years from now and there's nothing misinterpreted there - because that is the CBA expiration offseason. He could opt out and wind up stuck in the strike with no contract. 

That's what I wondered as well. Does the extension kick in after this season thus putting him with an optout right after the new CBA? or it kicks in this season which could possibly lead to the situation you brought up

Just now, TheTruth05 said:

That's what I wondered as well. Does the extension kick in after this season thus putting him with an optout right after the new CBA? or it kicks in this season which could possibly lead to the situation you brought up

Maybe for some reason the agent is more confident than I am about a CBA deal happening. 

Man that Machado contract looks like a fucking steal.  If we come out empty-handed this offseason, the rebuild is going to be at risk because there really won’t be much to spend all our excess cash on.  We simply can not rely on all our high-end prospects hitting their ceilings, so please do the right thing and just add Harper while you can.

20 minutes ago, fathom said:

Why are we mad that Nolan signed the extension?  I think it’s pretty cool.

He saw the way the market was going and got his money while he could. The opt out occurs after the next CBA so he can take advantage of any changes that may benefit the players. Great contract for the players, not very team friendly but they obviously really wanted to keep him.

Edited by ptatc

19 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

And THIS is why Machado was so important. Our prospects will probably hit pretty well...but not grabbing  a star or two FA pieces...we will be stuck behind the Yankees, Red Sox and Astros when they are really ready in 20 or 21. This news is not shocking, but reiterates why 10/300 is such a slap into the fan's face. 

It seems there's too strong a bias against Coors in HOF voting, just look at Larry Walker. His HOF chances were probably better if he went elsewhere and showed he could still hit.

Really happy for the Rockies though, it's cool when stars stay.

Edited by OmarComing25

I never really thought Arenado would have been an option for the Sox.  I expected him to re-sign with the Rockies or for someone else to pay him big.  The extension now was a bit of a surprise, and it's great for him and the Rockies.  Puts more pressure on teams like the Sox to make moves.  Hopefully they are pushing hard for Harper.

24 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

just disappointed that there won't be a real "big fish" position player free agent next offseason

Grab a pitcher next offseason, and then wait until 2021 for a position player. I know Trout is a free agent after 2020 (and we won't be signing him), but who are some big name free agents after the 2021 season?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

For all the board insiders here, does information flow both ways?

If so, could you please run this message up the flagpole to the front office for me: eat shit lol

Who TF is Hahn earmarking his money for now?  Its Harper or bust.  Pay the fucking man. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Grab a pitcher next offseason, and then wait until 2021 for a position player. I know Trout is a free agent after 2020 (and we won't be signing him), but who are some big name free agents after the 2021 season?

Honestly it's such a mess predicting them that far out that I'm not sure I even want to try - just to illustrate, Rodon is a FA after 2021, do we even know if we'd want him back?

But anyway, Lindor, Bryant, Schwarber, Baez, Corey Seager, Correa, Syndergaard, Conforto, Trevor Story, Anthony Rizzo, Sal Perez, Freddie Freeman, Chris Archer, Arenado if he opts out,  Kluber, Scherzer. 

Some of those guys will break down, sign extensions, or even just retire - I didn't include Kershaw since I doubt he pitches past that year. That's also the potential lockout/strike offseason.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Honestly it's such a mess predicting them that far out that I'm not sure I even want to try - just to illustrate, Rodon is a FA after 2021, do we even know if we'd want him back?

But anyway, Lindor, Bryant, Schwarber, Baez, Corey Seager, Correa, Syndergaard, Conforto, Trevor Story, Anthony Rizzo, Sal Perez, Freddie Freeman, Chris Archer, Arenado if he opts out,  Kluber, Scherzer. 

Some of those guys will break down, sign extensions, or even just retire - I didn't include Kershaw since I doubt he pitches past that year. That's also the potential lockout/strike offseason.

Yup. Counting on future FAs is a fools errand. Nolan is example A....

Don't worry guys, Hahn said the money would be spent! We just have to trust him. They seem to have a very good read on the market and what players are worth.

That was all sarcasm fyi. Sox have no idea what's going on and are so out of tune that it's crazy. Brewers are out there paying Braun. Rockies Blackmon and Arenado. Padres Hosmer and Machado. Diamondbacks with Greinke. Royals with Duffy and Gordon. Tigers with Miggy. Baltimore with Chris Davis. Cinci with Votto. Hell, Miami paid Stanton even if Jeter traded him. Twins with Mauer. Seattle with Cano... and now Mets with Cano..

We're really just the Rays, A's and Pirates of the world. Don't forget though that the Rays even went to $100mm with Longoria. We are a BOTTOM OF THE BARREL TEAM. Mired in BOTTOM OF THE BARREL.

• Like 2