Who is your top 2019-20 free agent target

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

Pick one. Here’s the list:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/08/2019-20-mlb-free-agents.html

Mine is JD Martinez.

Yes, he’s a full time DH and, yes, he will be 32 years old. But he’s also one of the best hitters in the game right now and I’d love seeing what a lineup with Madrigal, Moncada, Martinez (killer Ms), and Eloy could do next year. That’d be fun.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Pick one. Here’s the list:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/08/2019-20-mlb-free-agents.html

Mine is JD Martinez.

Yes, he’s a full time DH and, yes, he will be 32 years old. But he’s also one of the best hitters in the game right now and I’d love seeing what a lineup with Madrigal, Moncada, Martinez (killer Ms), and Eloy could do next year. That’d be fun.

Said it before, adjusting expectations down mine is Nick Castellanos.

In a perfect world: Cole

Within the Sox budget: Nobody

Bottom line: B-/C+ FA are overpaid for the production they bring. If they're not going to pony up for the elite talent, then don't spend at all. Save the money and invest in the areas I keep harping about. There is no reason to continue wasting millions of dollars on the Melky Cabreras and Jeff Samardzijas of each FA class. That money is better spent on player development, analytics, etc. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

My top personal choice would be Rendon, but with the Sox moving Moncada, I just don't see them jerking him around more.  I think that ship has sailed.  I'd love to see the Sox opt for a guy like Castellanos over Abreu for DH, but I doubt that'll happen.

Here are my guesses for 2020 FA, and the lineup by June 1:   

Gerrit Cole: 5 years, $110M

Grandal: 2 years $45M

Abreu: 3 years, $42M

Justin Smoak: 1 year, $12M

Rotation: Cole, Rodon, Kopech, Cease and Lopez

Lineup: Madrigal 2B, Moncada 3B, Eloy LF, Smoak 1B, Abreu DH, Grandal C, Micker Adolfo RF, Anderson SS, Luis Gonzalez CF.

BN: Yolmer, Engel, Collins 

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

My top personal choice would be Rendon, but with the Sox moving Moncada, I just don't see them jerking him around more.  I think that ship has sailed.  I'd love to see the Sox opt for a guy like Castellanos over Abreu for DH, but I doubt that'll happen.

Here are my guesses for 2020 FA, and the lineup by June 1:   

Gerrit Cole: 5 years, $110M

Grandal: 2 years $45M

Abreu: 3 years, $42M

Justin Smoak: 1 year, $12M

Rotation: Cole, Rodon, Kopech, Cease and Lopez

Lineup: Madrigal 2B, Moncada 3B, Eloy LF, Smoak 1B, Abreu DH, Grandal C, Micker Adolfo RF, Anderson SS, Luis Gonzalez CF.

BN: Yolmer, Engel, Collins 

Your number for Cole is delusional. He's getting 6/150 minimum. Don't forget who his agent is. hint: it's some guy named Scott 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Your number for Cole is delusional. He's getting 6/150 minimum. Don't forget who his agent is. hint: it's some guy named Scott 

I just threw a number out there without really looking into it.  You're probably right.  But 5/$110M and 6/$150M is an AAV difference of $3M.  Not insanely far apart.  

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Really depends on which Cole shows up in 2019. If he puts up another 6+ WAR season he is ticketed for $130-150 million over 5-6 years.

If he puts up a 3 WAR season then I think he's getting 4-5 years and $80-100 million.

Edited by steveno89

7 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Really depends on which Cole shows up in 2019. If he puts up another 6+ WAR season he is ticketed for $130-150 million over 5-6 years.

If he puts up a 3 WAR season then I think he's getting 4-5 years and $80-100 million.

If Cole puts up another 6 WAR season then he's more valuable than Corbin. Cole would have put up more really good seasons than Corbin and 2 back-to-back ones, and Corbin got 6/$140 - beat that substantially for Cole if he puts up another 6 win season.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So you're expecting a terrible year from Robert?

I don't believe he's expecting non-performance, I believe that poster thinks Robert is made of glass and can't be counted on, which isn't a crazy thought until Robert proves he can stay on the field for 130 games/season in the minors. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't believe he's expecting non-performance, I believe that poster thinks Robert is made of glass and can't be counted on, which isn't a crazy thought until Robert proves he can stay on the field for 130 games/season in the minors. 

I can understand that but it'd be worth saying that, if you want to move Anderson to CF you're basically saying you have 0 hope for Robert arriving any time soon. That would be some terrible busting.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I can understand that but it'd be worth saying that, if you want to move Anderson to CF you're basically saying you have 0 hope for Robert arriving any time soon.

It's not a crazy thought with the way the injury bug has bitten Robert. Dude always has nagging injuries. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's not a crazy thought with the way the injury bug has bitten Robert. Dude always has nagging injuries. 

If our pitching is struggling to the point we need a #1 starter and we need a SS and we're going to shift the 2 WAR SS to CF because we're desperate for a 1.5 WAR guy there to fill the role...Yeesh. Pick some rebuilding signings rather than Bogaerts because we're still winning 65 games, that sounds like a disastrous end result

who we want them to sign versus who they will sign are two different stories.   

I'd love a Gerrit Cole to head the rotation,  but expect someone like Edinson Volquez or Jason Vargas.

I'd also love Rendon or Bogaerts,  but will have to settle for Asdrubal Cabrera or Martin Prado.