Zack Collins at First Base

bmags

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again,

Wat?

Okay, odds of signing Grandal next year, because who else is going to play catcher besides Grandal that would be able to improve on Narvaez’s numbers?

It seems like the plan is to hope for a comeback from McCann, because Castillo is too now to count on for 2020/21.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Please stop quoting posters many of us have on ignore. It really lowers the quality of Soxtalk for all of us. 

Thx

That’s all fine and good.  

If you want to publicly campaign to block or ignore someone, more power to you, but it’s petty.

I think there are quite a few posters who have never blocked anyone.  But how about you publish a list of the Top Ten most blocked/ignored posters, surely that will make me want to run away and hide in exile on a Padres’ board, lol.

Let’s see these purported stats if you’re going to make an assertion like that (who is “most,” the moderating team?)...it’s only fair when you make a blanket or general statement.

How about this, all those who have me on ignore/block, I’d be happy to return the same courtesy,

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If you want to publicly campaign to block or ignore someone, more power to you, but it’s petty.

I think there are quite a few posters who have never blocked anyone.  But how about you publish a list of the Top Ten most blocked/ignored posters, surely that will make me want to run away and hide in exile on a Padres’ board, lol.

Let’s see these purported stats if you’re going to make an assertion like that (who is “most,” the moderating team?)...it’s only fair when you make a blanket or general statement.

How about this, all those who have me on ignore/block, I’d be happy to return the same courtesy,

No, petty is going from thread to thread posting unrelated nonsense and ruining them for no good reason.  This and the 8 myths thread are great examples. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

No, petty is going from thread to thread posting unrelated nonsense and ruining them for no good reason.  This and the 8 myths thread are great examples. 

Find one scout not related to the White Sox, Hahn or KW professionally who believe Collins will stick at catcher.

And I put your thread back on track by supporting the thesis with another secondary source.

I mean, c’mon...we really want Zavala and Collins in the same lineup when we already have 12 DH’s and corner outfielders on this team?  Unless Collins can play 1b at above-average proficiency defensively, his bat at that position won’t make up for it.  Which means best case scenario is a platoon DH.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How about this, all those who have me on ignore/block, Id be happy to return the same courtesy,

🙋‍♂

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Find one scout not related to the White Sox, Hahn or KW professionally who believe Collins will stick at catcher.

And I put your thread back on track by supporting the thesis with another secondary source.

I mean, c’mon...we really want Zavala and Collins in the same lineup when we already have 12 DH’s and corner outfielders on this team?  Unless Collins can play 1b at above-average proficiency defensively, his bat at that position won’t make up for it.  Which means best case scenario is a platoon DH.

I don’t understand your disdain for Zavala, seems like he made some serious progress defensively last year.

3 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I'm a big zavala fan tbh. Athletic guy by all accounts, and it sounds like he can stick at catcher. Wasn't he in the OF before catching? Has some good pop to his bat as well

At a very minimum, he seems like he has a decent shot of being a solid weak side of a catching platoon, which is why I’m surprised Caulfield is hating on him so much.

Gotta learn if he can play first, ideally sooner than later. Lots of value in a LH hitter with power who can play 1B catch and DH. Great roster flexibility not to mention lots of talk about Rutschman (Catcher) and Vaughn (1B) as draft prospects. If Collins is a viable 1B option, it might influence who we select. 

21 minutes ago, Flash said:

Gotta learn if he can play first, ideally sooner than later. Lots of value in a LH hitter with power who can play 1B catch and DH. Great roster flexibility not to mention lots of talk about Rutschman (Catcher) and Vaughn (1B) as draft prospects. If Collins is a viable 1B option, it might influence who we select. 

U serious dude? Collins should have no bearing whatsoever on the Sox first round pick this year. The Sox should be taking best player available at #3 no matter what.

• Like 1

Rutschman will be gone by the time the Sox pick at #3.    The second highest rated catcher is Shea Langeliers.  In his youtube videos he looks like a Josh Phegley, at best.

The Sox do not need a 1B/DH at all so I think they should pass on Vaughn.   Given that, there is no clear choice at the #3 slot.  I might pick C.J. Abrams.

5 minutes ago, tray said:

Rutschman will be gone by the time the Sox pick at #3.    The second highest rated catcher is Shea Langeliers.  In his youtube videos he looks like a Josh Phegley, at best.

The Sox do not need a 1B/DH at all so I think they should pass on Vaughn.   Given that, there is no clear choice at the #3 slot.  I might pick C.J. Abrams.

Witt Jr. is the consensus high school pick over Abrams at this point...

I think I saw in an Athletic article that since Collins and Zavala were both going to AAA that each said they were willing to play first so both could be in the lineup.  If so it makes sense to get some practice there.  It has been said nowhere that he is moving there permanently.  When other teams do this, they are praised for enhancing positional flexibility.

Edited by BamaDoc

1 minute ago, BamaDoc said:

I think I saw in an Athletic article that since Collins and Zavala were both going to AAA that each said they were willing to play first so both could be in the lineup.  If so it makes sense to get some practice there.  It has been said nowhere that he is moving there permanently.

So here's the thing for me. I've been pretty conservative in being worried about Collins moving positions as I have found projections of defensive liabilities to often be way overblown and less informative than hitting and other tools.

My stance was that I'd only start to be worried that literally nobody outside the sox org feels he can be a catcher when the white sox start to move him off catcher.

So sure, it's just part time for playing time with both on roster. But if they were really still prioritizing his defensive development, I'd just have him DH on seby days, have him work with a coordinator calling game plan in the dugout while on defense, and give him drills on drills on those days. Instead he'll be focusing on being a 1b and maybe that will help in a different way, but I'm skeptical. 

7 hours ago, tray said:

The Sox do not need a 1B/DH at all so I think they should pass on Vaughn. 

This should never be a team's line of thinking with the #3 pick. Take the best player available, period.  If Vaughn is the best player, then take him.  If not, then take somebody else.