2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Crochet and Fulton. Two lefties with top of the rotation stuff.  

I was about to post about some of the guys I'm interested in. Dax Fulton is up there. Even with the Tommy John. Sounds like the spin rate on his curveball is crazy.

File this under “BA writeups I like”

Ricky Tiedemann

Notes:

Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 200 | B-T: L-L 
Commit/Drafted: San Diego State 
Age At Draft: 17.8

Few players raised their stock in limited time more this spring than Tiedemann, whose brother Tai is a pitcher in the Rangers organization. An interesting but hardly elite prospect entering the year, Tiedemann came out showing increased velocity and feel for his secondaries and put himself among the top players in a loaded Southern California draft class. Tiedemann is an elite athlete with a physical 6-foot-3 frame, big hands and a tantalizing left arm. His fastball sits around 88-91 mph and touches 93, and his projectable body and athleticism make it easy to envision him reaching the mid-90s once he fills out. He complements his fastball with a potentially plus changeup, and his average hard slider gives him a quality third offering. Tiedemann is one of the youngest players in the class and will still be 17 on draft day. His only drawback is he broke his right, non-throwing wrist on a collision at first base late in the season. Tiedemann is committed to San Diego State, but clubs are keen to buy him out of that commitment with his athleticism, youth and projection.

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Hard to believe that has to be said.  If they can't develop athletes then change the development department not the drafting philosophy.  

Why does everyone pretend that Tim Anderson doesn't exist.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Yeah let’s do everyone’s “dream won’t happen” scenario. 
option 1: take 1 guy underslot and you can take anyone that has been in a recent mock past 20

option 2: unlikely fall - anyone mocked 5 or later at 11, and a dream realistic 2nd rounder

My dream underslot over slot is 11 with Howard then 2nd round with Bitsko

option 2 is Meyer then Jared Jones/Wynn.

My wish list:

pick #1 Abel

pick #2  Jared Shuster

pick #s 3,4,5 BPA (at least 1 more pitcher) 

20 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Successful?

I'd say given the draft position they were only average.

Like you alluded to, it's about diversification. 

The white sox went severely college heavy especially from 2015-2018. Hostetler said this was to improve depth. Whether we benefited from having more competent first baseman in AA...not up to me.

But the best athletes will often be picked out of high school. By drafting exclusively college and high school water polo players the sox missed out on working in some players that may be able to pair elite athleticism with elite baseball skills and grow with the competition. While you have the first round to go after the best college athletes/players, rounds 2-40 just lacked diversity in skill and body type.

Should you only draft uber athletes and pass up someone with a plus- plus- refined skill? Should you only draft more developed college players? Should you only draft position players high? Should you never draft prep pitchers?

You can have tendencies, but Hostetler went too far in one direction. 

Some random dudes I'm interested in based off nothing but write-ups, you-tube looks, and maybe just having a cool name.

19. David Calabrese, OF, St. Elizabeth Catholic (Ontario, Canada) HS, Age: 17

Calabrese gets a lot of comparisons to a young Jacoby Ellsbury as a plus-plus runner who rivals Crow-Armstrong for the best defensive center fielder in the draft. He’s short to the ball with a good approach, staying back to make more contact at the cost of power, although his body points to double-digit homers down the road. Scouts did get to see him briefly against young pro pitchers this March before his team’s tour of Florida ended abruptly, so they have a sense of how he might handle velocity or better spin. He’s also one of the youngest players in the class, turning 18 in late September, which will appeal to teams like Cleveland, the Dodgers, or the Giants who all value player age very highly in the draft.

41. Markevian “Tink” Hence, RHP, Watson Chapel (Ark.) HS, Age: 17

Hence is one of the youngest prospects in the draft, as he won’t turn 18 until August, but is already 92-96 mph with a hammer curveball, along with a two-seamer, slider and changeup. He’s very athletic with a strong lower half, but his narrow frame means he doesn’t have the same projection as many other high school pitchers. There hasn’t been a big leaguer drafted out of an Arkansas high school since Travis Wood in 2005, one of just two from the last 20 drafts (Dustin Moseley, 2000), so Hence is facing long odds. He has such a strong arsenal for a 17-year-old and enough athleticism that some team is likely to take him in the top two rounds.

52. Dax Fulton, LHP, Mustang (Okla.) HS, Age: 18

The 2020 prep lefthander class looked exceptionally strong last summer with Virginia lefthander Nate Savino and Fulton in the mix. But the demographic took big hits when the former enrolled early at Virginia and the latter suffered an elbow injury that required Tommy John surgery and ended his high school career. When healthy, Fulton had legitimate first-round chances as a super projectable, 6-foot-6, 225-pound lefthander with a big breaking ball. While Matthew Liberatore was more advanced at the same time, some scouts have drawn comparisons with the two because of those elements. Over the summer, Fulton’s fastball mostly ranged from 89-93 mph out of a clean, three-quarters arm action. His breaking ball is a big, deep bender in the mid-to-upper 70s with terrific spin and depth. At the Area Code Games, Fulton posted spin rates in the 2,600 rpm range and the pitch looked like a future plus offering. It’s particularly tough on lefthanded hitters thanks to the angle Fulton creates in his delivery. He showed solid feel to land the pitch despite its movement, and at the Perfect Game All-American Classic he landed three in a row to Florida outfielder Zac Veen to strike him out looking. In addition to his fastball and curveball, Fulton occasionally showed a mid-80s change, though he needs to develop more feel for that pitch. Scouts were impressed with the progress that Fulton was making throughout the summer before he got injured, as he had a lot of moving parts in his delivery that he cleaned up and also improved the consistency of his curveball. His draft status is now clouded because of his injury, though a team could still buy into his upside enough to take him on day one. If not, he will head to Oklahoma, where he could re-establish his first-round potential in 2023.

Edited by DirtySox

16 hours ago, ptatc said:

Swinging back to the Jared Mitchell and Courtney Hawkins  philosophy?

Jared Mitchell was a Jake Burger-type situation. He had a devastating injury that killed 18 months of development and sapped his speed. I truly believe that had he not been injured, he'd have had a Mike Cameron type offensive profile with more speed. Obv. Not as good of a defender, but similar offense. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

28 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Jared Mitchell was a Jake Burger-type situation. He had a devastating injury that killed 18 months of development and sapped his speed. I truly believe that had he not been injured, he'd have had a Mike Cameron type offensive profile with more speed. Obv. Not as good of a defender, but similar offense. 

True. I wasn't commenting on how he turned out, just that it was the philosophy at the time to draft athletes not polished baseball players as he split time between baseball and football and was very raw but talented.

His posterior tibialis tear was much more of a devastating injury than Burger's achilles. Your foot can't function normally, especially for a speed guy, with even a tendinopathy of the posterior tib.

If they do that, they better get a guy unlikely to sign. Forget his name, but there's that one hard-commit to stanford right?

I guess aside from the pathetic if its about money, isn't next year supposed to be really good? Maybe they calculated the risk of not being able to scout traditionally/lack of numbers/bigger bonus pool made going for what's available next year was better option?

Just now, bmags said:

If they do that, they better get a guy unlikely to sign. Forget his name, but there's that one hard-commit to stanford right?

I guess aside from the pathetic if its about money, isn't next year supposed to be really good? Maybe they calculated the risk of not being able to scout traditionally/lack of numbers/bigger bonus pool made going for what's available next year was better option?

I agree this is just wrong on so many levels.

• Like 1