Sox & Nats, 6/4/19, Rey & Strasburg

soxfan49

3 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

I don’t think so. You assume that some youngster equals a better asset than who you gave up. We know what we have with Breu and Colome and the success they have had

Abreu will be 33 next year and Colome will be 31. They don't fit our window. The guys we get for them can be flipped for guys we need when we need them. If they want to contend in 2020, they can simply sign someone 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

How fast a guy works has zero with how effective a pitcher is.  Remember Freddy Garcia.  He wasn't exactly Mark Buerhle out there.

Freddy Garcia could get people out.  All I know is Lopez better change something.  What he's 'doing ain't working.  

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Okay, I guess they were different then.  In Benetti’s interview, he mostly talked about working extremely hard all offseason to change/revamp his delivery and this was the main reason for his success this year.

He did talk about working hard all off season in this one as well. It was the 90+ percent mental part that threw me as his mechanical changes are well documented. 

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

A pitcher as good as Doolittle doesn’t need favors. That strike two wasn’t close. What a joke

And the ump basically took the bat out of his hands with that call. Moncada was spitting on balls all night and he swung at the high fastball because he doesn't know where the Umps zone is. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Abreu will be 33 next year and Colome will be 31. They don't fit our window. The guys we get for them can be flipped for guys we need when we need them. If they want to contend in 2020, they can simply sign someone 

Not out of the question you see Vaughn in 2020 either. Especially with talk almost immediately after being drafted that he might go to the AFL. Sure sounds like they want to fast track him. Hell, until then you could even play Collins/Palka there.

Edited by DirtySox

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

He did talk about working hard all off season in this one as well. It was the 90+ percent mental part that threw me as his mechanical changes are well documented. 

I tend to think the mechanical change to his delivery is what brought him success.

If his delivery last year was the reason for his massive struggles, anyone would have mental issues as a result of being one of the worst starting pitchers in baseball.

And in turn, it’s much easier to be mentally sound when your delivery and stuff is bringing you success start after start.

Cause and effect, chicken or the egg, or something like that.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I tend to think the mechanical change to his delivery is what brought him success.

If his delivery last year was the reason for his massive struggles, anyone would have mental issues as a result of being one of the worst starting pitchers in baseball.

•  

Giolito has shortened his arm swing before delivering a pitch, Teddy Greenstein of the Chicago Tribune reports.

When Giolito removes his right hand from the glove during his delivery, he does not extend his arm out wide; it stays closer to his ear. The right-hander described the change as cleaner and more efficient. "It's more direct to my good firing position," he said. "I feel more athletic. You can compare it to how an infielder throws a baseball. It just happened naturally over the offseason and it feels really good, so I'm going with it." Regardless of the arm swing, the key for the 6-foot-7 Giolito, who walked an AL-high 90 batters last year, is repeating his mechanics. We'll get to see the new motion on display Thursday, when he makes his first spring start against the Mariners.

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

@SouthWallace I took a tour of the park last year when I was there for the ASG and HRD. Another person on the tour asked and the response was "DC, but if you had to say a state, it's virginia."

They're wrong, however, since DC is a completely autonomous self-governed entity 

I don't really know the way out for lopez. Every pitch is just a little worse than last year. Its hard to say throw the slider more when it's getting crushed as much as the fastball.