RF options are bleak...any other ideas?

Greg Hibbard

3 hours ago, wegner said:

Is Brandon Guyer still in the organization?  He should at least be a capable MLB bat.  Plus he has one of the best nicknames, "La Pinata" for his propensity for getting hit by pitch in his career.

He is, but he's been hurt for over a month. No clue what's wrong with him.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Would something like Madrigal, Dunning, and a lotto ticket be enough for Conforto? 

Sox could sign a guy like Schoop or Gennet to play second. 

Please leave Madrigal alone...I don't ask for much.

back when I was a kid I used to play this old fashioned card game called Stratomatic. Each team had a big stack of cards and it seemed there was always some way to maximize your lineup with the variety of scrubs that played in any given year. However, I have no idea what I would do with this RF situation in Stratomatic. :lol:

18 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Very hard apparently for the Sox who went years and couldn't find a center fielder. Bad minor league system will do that to you.

You just play the hand you've got the rest of this year and maybe get a power hitting outfielder in the off season via trade or free agency although I think the Sox have to concentrate on pitching first.

What you don't wanna remember Rob Mackowiak in center? 😁

2 hours ago, Hatchetman said:

Jay is hitting .325 in 40 ABs in AAA. What are they waiting for?

He's finished as Royals fans will tell you. Does nothing well. Can't steal bases, doesn't draw a lot of walks, is not very good.

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

He's finished as Royals fans will tell you. Does nothing well. Can't steal bases, doesn't draw a lot of walks, is not very good.

But he is better than the group we have out there. He does have hot stretches and you just have to hope for a few to make the season a little more fun. 

5 hours ago, JoshPR said:

What you don't wanna remember Rob Mackowiak in center? 😁

Rob actually got a bad deal. Both Ozzie and Kenny said publicly he was signed to help at third base and in the corner outfield spots. He was forced to play in center because Anderson sucked and the team didn't have any other options. I give the guy credit for trying even though that really wasn't his spot. He was trying to help the Sox.

29 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Rob actually got a bad deal. Both Ozzie and Kenny said publicly he was signed to help at third base and in the corner outfield spots. He was forced to play in center because Anderson sucked and the team didn't have any other options. I give the guy credit for trying even though that really wasn't his spot. He was trying to help the Sox.

I don't think Brian Anderson ever got a fair shot, and I kind of wish he had. IIRC Ozzie later admitted he detested him, and didn't like that he was a ladies man. Imagine if we had evaluated any number of people (Yoan Moncada, Tim Anderson, Leury Garcia come to mind) on their first 900 big league PAs. Anderson was a defense first CF and sported a .650 OPS as a 23-26 year old. He was a nearly 0 WAR player but for reference beloved Scotty Pods had a 6.8 WAR for his whole career.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

2 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I don't think Brian Anderson ever got a fair shot, and I kind of wish he had. IIRC Ozzie later admitted he detested him, and didn't like that he was a ladies man. Imagine if we had evaluated any number of people (Yoan Moncada, Tim Anderson, Leury Garcia come to mind) on their first 900 big league PAs. Anderson was a defense first CF and sported a .650 OPS as a 23-26 year old. He was a nearly 0 WAR player but for reference beloved Scotty Pods had a 6.8 WAR for his whole career.

Mark Gonzales when he was the beat writer for the Sox told me a story that says something I guess about his "dedication" (for wont of a better word). The Sox were in Cleveland and before the game in the locker room Gonzo noticed that Anderson and another player (he never said who but the talk was it was Brandon McCarthy) instead of watching the video of that night's pitcher which was being shown were watching cartoons.

Gonzo said it was definitely noticed by the veteran players. 

Maybe it was incidents like that that caused Ozzie to "hate" him?

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Mark Gonzales when he was the beat writer for the Sox told me a story that says something I guess about his "dedication" (for wont of a better word). The Sox were in Cleveland and before the game in the locker room Gonzo noticed that Anderson and another player (he never said who but the talk was it was Brandon McCarthy) instead of watching the video of that night's pitcher which was being shown were watching cartoons.

Gonzo said it was definitely noticed by the veteran players. 

Maybe it was incidents like that that caused Ozzie to "hate" him?

I've heard that he "partied" himself out of the major leagues.