Bullpen

poppysox

The bullpen is scary good.  Colome, Bummer, Marshall and Herrera are lights out right now.  Fry, Minaya and even Osich and Burr when healthy are solid.  If we had two additional quality starters this team would be contending even without Cease, Robert and Madrigal.  Time to put the finishing touches on this team and start contending.

33 minutes ago, poppysox said:

The bullpen is scary good.  Colome, Bummer, Marshall and Herrera are lights out right now.  Fry, Minaya and even Osich and Burr when healthy are solid.  If we had two additional quality starters this team would be contending even without Cease, Robert and Madrigal.  Time to put the finishing touches on this team and start contending.

Herrera still has a long way to go. Minaya and Osich aren't part of the long term future for this club. Burr, Hamilton, Fry have shown they can't stay healthy. Bullpen is better but half these guys won't even be around in two years. Sox need to get better quality in the pen in addition to upgrading the starting pitching for next season.

59 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Quite frankly marshall is having a career year and it would be a perfect time to flip him.

Bummer is a keeper and maybe your closer next year. 

Only guy I'd consider "off limits unless you want to completely overpay" is Bummer.  Bummer could be the closer for the next 4-5 years.   I like what Rickie is doing with Herrera he's slowly trying to build him back up unto a reliable set up guy so he can be flipped for anything hopefully.  Herrera has looked much better stuff wise the last month.  Fastball is back at 98 and his slider is moving again.

Anyone can be flipped if the price is right.  None of these first four guys should be dumped for salary or token prospects.  I believe Herrera was hurt for awhile and the others will just be replaced with same or lesser guys.  Bummer is off limits short of something unbelievable developing.  Hahn is good at getting overpaid when he has something to sell so I'll trust him on this.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

Anyone can be flipped if the price is right.  None of these first four guys should be dumped for salary or token prospects.  I believe Herrera was hurt for awhile and the others will just be replaced with same or lesser guys.  Bummer is off limits short of something unbelievable developing.  Hahn is good at getting overpaid when he has something to sell so I'll trust him on this.

Hahn's strength is trades he should be all ears.  Let someone else handle FA.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Hahn's strength is trades he should be all ears.  Let someone else handle FA.

I wonder if he knows of this boards skills in this regard?

Edited by poppysox
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Herrera still has a long way to go. Minaya and Osich aren't part of the long term future for this club. Burr, Hamilton, Fry have shown they can't stay healthy. Bullpen is better but half these guys won't even be around in two years. Sox need to get better quality in the pen in addition to upgrading the starting pitching for next season.

Ian Hamilton was in a car accident and got hit by a foul ball. Can’t see how you chalk that up to can’t stay healthy

3 minutes ago, wegner said:

Herrera has been shaky at best since he tweaked his back.  I doubt he would bring back anything of substance at all in a trade.  He's about as valuable as Tyler Clippard was when the Sox traded him imho

That's why we should just keep him.  He is pitching fine again but probably to late to get back anything of value.  Although, you never know...it only takes one desperate buyer.