Sox @ Boston, 6:10

BigHurt3515

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

You guys dismiss my theory, but my take is sometimes these players aren't 100 percent sharp playing for a non contender. I mean they are used to losing and on that play Anderson half assed it with a ridiculous throw to first. He made the dumb decision to steal third the other night. My take is that it was pretty obvious the Sox were going to lose once it went in extras and some of these guys are not sharp mentally cause they are so used to losing. It's one of the perils of tank/rebuild. Some of the key pieces get used to losing and playing in situations that really matter not.

Yes, Tim Anderson would have made a different play had the team's record been 5 games better. The problem was he just didn't care enough about the ground ball hit to him in a tie ball game, bottom of the 9th, 2 outs and the bases loaded... at Fenway Park. He was busy thinking about what downtown Boston spot he was going to hit up for dinner. 

That's probably what happened with the Cardinals runner who was picked off of 2nd to end the game last Thursday. Only explanation. Oh... wait... were they 1 game out of first place in the NL Central that day? That's right. 

My lord... Stop. lol

3 hours ago, Richie said:

Yes, Tim Anderson would have made a different play had the team's record been 5 games better. The problem was he just didn't care enough about the ground ball hit to him in a tie ball game, bottom of the 9th, 2 outs and the bases loaded... at Fenway Park. He was busy thinking about what downtown Boston spot he was going to hit up for dinner. 

That's probably what happened with the Cardinals runner who was picked off of 2nd to end the game last Thursday. Only explanation. Oh... wait... were they 1 game out of first place in the NL Central that day? That's right. 

My lord... Stop. lol

Flaherty did it twice, actually...in the span of less than two weeks.

That time, on June 15th as a PR at second, he stumbled and almost fell rounding third against the Mets after a single had dropped into RF between fielders and therefore also made the final out of the game.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Flash said:

Could we have found our RF in Anderson?

Hard to justify a corner outfielder who will struggle to be an 800+ ops guy consistently.

He has the arm strength for the position, but it’s probably better to play him in CF...and keep Robert healthier on a corner.

But that opens up an even bigger hole at SS...unless we are planning to sign Bogaerts.

The last three shortstops (Tatis, Machado and Abrams) we had or had shots at are all in the Padres’ organization.

Thinking anderson should have seen that third was the play there is an interesting take.

This one is on Yoan - he needs to be yelling 3 there. That ball was hit deep enough in the hole that anderson cant be taking his eye off the ball to check third and he did not have any time to check it before the play to one. 

Yoan needs to be aggressive and loud there as he is Timmy's eyes on that play because tim had to focus on the ball.. since that's kinda important and all.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Thinking anderson should have seen that third was the play there is an interesting take.

This one is on Yoan - he needs to be yelling 3 there. That ball was hit deep enough in the hole that anderson cant be taking his eye off the ball to check third and he did not have any time to check it before the play to one. 

Yoan needs to be aggressive and loud there as he is Timmy's eyes on that play because tim had to focus on the ball.. since that's kinda important and all.

Agreed. It's mostly on Yoan there to be yelling. I'd have to watch it again but does anyone know if he was even at third? 

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Agreed. It's mostly on Yoan there to be yelling. I'd have to watch it again but does anyone know if he was even at third? 

He was near it but he absolutely was not vocal. He's moved around a lot so I definitely give him a pass but that was on Yoan. 

If I'm running down a ball in the left centerfield gap with runners on base, my left fielder is yelling a base for when I come up with the ball. Either cut, 3 or 2. I'm not finding the ball and then finding the runners. That takes too much time.

If the play is not in front of you, your teammates should be guiding you.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Hard to justify a corner outfielder who will struggle to be an 800+ ops guy consistently.

He has the arm strength for the position, but it’s probably better to play him in CF...and keep Robert healthier on a corner.

But that opens up an even bigger hole at SS...unless we are planning to sign Bogaerts.

The last three shortstops (Tatis, Machado and Abrams) we had or had shots at are all in the Padres’ organization.

Lol if abrams is ever 1/2 the player tim anderson is I'll eat my shoe for you caufield. 

I love how he'll struggle to do something the rest of his career that he's comfortably doing this year. 

It was just a matter of time until the Tim haters started to come out. 

22 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol if abrams is ever 1/2 the player tim anderson is I'll eat my shoe for you caufield. 

I love how he'll struggle to do something the rest of his career that he's comfortably doing this year. 

It was just a matter of time until the Tim haters started to come out. 

Anderson has been 98, 78 and 85 in wRC+ before this season.

Is he going to stay at 120 for the rest of this season?

Probably not.  Is he one of the best ten or twelve SS’s in baseball?  Undoubtedly, despite the brain cramps, routine play blunders and occasional overaggressiveness when caution is called for on the basepaths.   Like Jose Valentin, he makes up for those blunders with his range and arm.

In the end, it’s a huge win to get 3-4 fWAR out of him on a consistent basis.  He’s one of our five young core position players moving forward.

He’s also probably not the superstar he looked like the first six weeks, and walk rates will always suppress his full offensive value.

Finally, replacing your SS is probably the hardest move you can make as an organization...along with developing a young catcher who can both hit and field.

Being objective about a player on your team is far from being a hater.  My point was that moving him to the outfield creates an even bigger hole to fill at SS.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Please explain your plan to "sign" Xander Bogaerts

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Anderson has been 98, 78 and 85 in wRC+ before this season.

Is he going to stay at 120 for the rest of this season?

Probably not.  Is he one of the best ten or twelve SS’s in baseball?  Undoubtedly, despite the brain cramps, routine play blunders and occasional overaggressiveness when caution is called for on the basepaths.   Like Jose Valentin, he makes up for those blunders with his range and arm.

In the end, it’s a huge win to get 3-4 fWAR out of him on a consistent basis.  He’s one of our five young core position players moving forward.

He’s also probably not the superstar he looked like the first six weeks, and walk rates will always suppress his full offensive value.

Finally, replacing your SS is probably the hardest move you can make as an organization...along with developing a young catcher who can both hit and field.

Being objective about a player on your team is far from being a hater.  My point was that moving him to the outfield creates an even bigger hole to fill at SS.

Hes 26 years old. Sometimes, as guys get more reps they improve. Could he be a 120 guy? Surely he could be, since he's been it for half a season of play in his most recent half season. There is nothing that screams lucky about his outcomes so far either.

My fault if I misred your point.

56 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Please explain your plan to "sign" Xander Bogaerts

There is no plan.  Just like there’s no plan to sign Marcell Ozuna, either.  

Hence, Anderson stays put.   Heck, we can’t even get Renteria to stop using Alonso or Herrera...meanwhile, Anderson’s play at SS  is not even in the Top 20 Sox problems at the moment.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

There is no plan.  Just like there’s no plan to sign Marcell Ozuna, either.  

Hence, Anderson stays put.   Heck, we can’t even get Renteria to stop using Alonso or Herrera...meanwhile, Anderson’s play at SS  is not even in the Top 20 Sox problems at the moment.

You are aware that Bogaerts signed an extension, right?

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

You are aware that Bogaerts signed an extension, right?

Well, there’s that, too.

Actually he was at one point going to be the only legit impact SS on the market.  They could still end up trading him if they decide to pay Betts what he’s worth for an extension, but they also need to come up with a replacement for JD Martinez and someone to play CF.

Devers and Benintendi are extension candidates as well.  

At any rate, Luis Robert is the only one who could get that deal done, and he’s not going anywhere.  Neither is Tim Anderson.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Well, there’s that, too.

Actually he was at one point going to be the only legit impact SS on the market.  They could still end up trading him if they decide to pay Betts what he’s worth for an extension, but they also need to come up with a replacement for JD Martinez and someone to play CF.

Devers and Benintendi are extension candidates as well.  

At any rate, Luis Robert is the only one who could get that deal done, and he’s not going anywhere.  Neither is Tim Anderson.

Betts and Benintendi can both play CF. And I don't think it is a slam dunk that JDM opts out as others believe.

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic