ChiSox @ BoSox, 6/25, 6:10 CT, NSCH

soxfan49

Last night might have been a bit of a breaking point for my enthusiasm this season.  It was really deflating seeing Jay and Yonder up in so many critical spots and absolutely unable to do anything.  I'll give Yonder credit for coming through with the single (for once) but when that single raises your average to .180 or so in late June that's awful.  Jay looked overmatched, and old.  Got the bunt down I guess and took a walk but he was never in any danger of an extra base hit.  In RF he looked a big step down from Cordell.  No arm as well.

Giolito's ERA regressing a bit to his xFIP (and his HR/FB% coming back to earth) is expected but also deflating.  Felt like they were playing in a little league stadium at times last night.  He's going to have to try and get a three pitch mix going again now hitters are really sitting on his fastball and are not letting him pour it over for strike one.  Needs to try and mix in changeup and slider first pitch more often.

That said, that's win tonight and try and salvage something.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Last night might have been a bit of a breaking point for my enthusiasm this season.  It was really deflating seeing Jay and Yonder up in so many critical spots and absolutely unable to do anything.  I'll give Yonder credit for coming through with the single (for once) but when that single raises your average to .180 or so in late June that's awful.  Jay looked overmatched, and old.  Got the bunt down I guess and took a walk but he was never in any danger of an extra base hit.  In RF he looked a big step down from Cordell.  No arm as well.

Giolito's ERA regressing a bit to his xFIP (and his HR/FB% coming back to earth) is expected but also deflating.  Felt like they were playing in a little league stadium at times last night.  He's going to have to try and get a three pitch mix going again now hitters are really sitting on his fastball and are not letting him pour it over for strike one.  Needs to try and mix in changeup and slider first pitch more often.

Losing with Alonso and Jay in the lineup is hard to take.  I'd rather they turn a page and move on from them both.  I am going to give a bit of a meathead take here, but I'd rather see a lifelong Sox fan like Tilson in the lineup than Jay.  And I think I'd rather see Cordell more because of his upside.  Give Cordell extended at bats and see what we have and if he does not produce, move on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Exactly how I felt after the loss. Kind of feeling like they're going to go on one of those 6-10 game losing streaks. Just feels like the enthusiasm with the fanbase is dead right now and the team seems to be deflated.

Anderson looked visibly frustrated and not 100% there, and quite honestly immature last night the way he talked to the umpire yesterday after he got called out on strikes (as bad as the umps have been, he was legitimately aced there.)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Anderson looked visibly frustrated and not 100% there, and quite honestly immature last night the way he talked to the umpire yesterday after he got called out on strikes (as bad as the umps have been, he was legitimately aced there.)

Complete disagree here.  Timmy struck out the previous AB with three called strikes, all of which were clearly balls.  He was pissed.  It was a strike when he b****ed at the ump, but I don't blame him at all.  He definitely went into the clubhouse as saw those pitches were all balls on the previous at bat and had something to say.

11 minutes ago, smalls2598 said:

About as good as we can hope for outside of Ricky's obsession with Yoan 7th against LHP.  Glad to see Collins get the starts with the lefty on the mound. 

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Sandwiching Moncada between two awful hitters again.  Turrible.

Jay is a meaningfully better hitter than the other 2 options, Cordell and Tilson.

I understand not wanting Jay on the team, but he is very clearly the best option in the organization besides perhaps Robert who very obviously should not be in the big leagues right now. 

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Last night might have been a bit of a breaking point for my enthusiasm this season.

I couldn't agree more. The last three days have drained me and last night feels like it was the turning point towards me not really giving a f**k about wins/losses anymore. 

That being said - when the games starts I'm sure I'll be all in. 

Edited by Richie

3 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I don't think this game goes on tonight. It has been raining since noon and supposedly will be heavy rain early evening. 

Kevin Roth is worth a follow on Twitter. 

CHW @ BOS -

A very rainy day in Boston, but things do clear out tonight. Models have the heavy rain east of Boston by 7 or 8pm, fully dry by 9'ish. I think they can either play on time and get a little wet or late start and play dry.

2 hours ago, wegner said:

Losing with Alonso and Jay in the lineup is hard to take.  I'd rather they turn a page and move on from them both.  I am going to give a bit of a meathead take here, but I'd rather see a lifelong Sox fan like Tilson in the lineup than Jay.  And I think I'd rather see Cordell more because of his upside.  Give Cordell extended at bats and see what we have and if he does not produce, move on.

Why haven't they moved on from these guys yet? Neither has any trade value whatsoever and 2019 is a developmental year. Play guys like Cordell, Tilson, or Palka. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Why haven't they moved on from these guys yet? Neither has any trade value whatsoever and 2019 is a developmental year. Play guys like Cordell, Tilson, or Palka. 

This really isn't that complicated.  Alonso will very likely be gone when Castillo returns.  They will very likely run Jay out there everyday for the next month and eventually send him off to someone looking for a 4th OF for salary relief.

Jon Jay is not a #6 hitter....ever (unless its a college team.) He has 36 total HR in 10 years in the Bigs. He is a contact hitter and should be batting 1,2,8,or 9.

Why is Collins catching v.s. a team like Boston, let him hit DH.

Our lineups are thrown together not for the sake of winning but just for testing or something, c'mon already.

Ok maybe Im a little too harsh......???

Edited by Chisox378
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This really isn't that complicated.  Alonso will very likely be gone when Castillo returns.  They will very likely run Jay out there everyday for the next month and eventually send him off to someone looking for a 4th OF for salary relief.

LMAO. No one wants Jon Jay. He is a broken down old man with a bad hip. 

He is an outfield version of Alcides Escobar. A washed up veteran that should only be playing in AAA for emergency depth. 

12 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

LMAO. No one wants Jon Jay. He is a broken down old man with a bad hip. 

He is an outfield version of Alcides Escobar. A washed up veteran that should only be playing in AAA for emergency depth. 

Jon Jay was traded last June from the Royals to the Dbacks for 2 pitchers, one who has been pretty decent in the Royals minor league system and another who was interesting enough to be picked 9th overall in the rule 5 draft and the Jays are doing everything they can to keep him in their organization so far this year.  People within the Royals have said they're kicking themselves for leaving Luciano unprotected. 

So, while the return may not be interesting (I said salary relief, which clearly isn't very interesting), its not farfetched at all to think Hahn could get someone to take the remainder of Jay's $4M salary and perhaps throw in a warm body.  You may not like Jon Jay, but he has a career OBP over .350 across 10 major league seasons and can play all three OF positions.  He doesn't really make a ton of sense for the Sox right now, but the guy is a major leaguer whether you want to give him that credit or not.  

But yah...LMAO. 

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Jay is a meaningfully better hitter than the other 2 options, Cordell and Tilson.

I understand not wanting Jay on the team, but he is very clearly the best option in the organization besides perhaps Robert who very obviously should not be in the big leagues right now. 

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/33984/yoan-moncada

Moncada has a 725 ops against lhp so far this year.  In other words, he’s no longer Jose Valentin.

Jon Jay from 2016-2018 is 690 vs. lefties and a not exactly robust 721 vs. rhp over the course of well over 900 at bats.

Whether he’s arguably better than Tilson or Cordell is debatable, but Moncada needs as many PA’s as possible against lhp.  All they will do is pitch around him at that spot in the order, so it’s not really helping him.