ChiSox @ BoSox, 6/25, 6:10 CT, NSCH

soxfan49

5 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Last night might have been a bit of a breaking point for my enthusiasm this season. 

I see the Sox at Lucy holding the football for Charlie Brown when they get close to .500 and I hear the Who singing, "we don't get fooled again".  They are not good enough to go on a major hot streak.

44 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Jon Jay was traded last June from the Royals to the Dbacks for 2 pitchers, one who has been pretty decent in the Royals minor league system and another who was interesting enough to be picked 9th overall in the rule 5 draft and the Jays are doing everything they can to keep him in their organization so far this year.  People within the Royals have said they're kicking themselves for leaving Luciano unprotected. 

So, while the return may not be interesting (I said salary relief, which clearly isn't very interesting), its not farfetched at all to think Hahn could get someone to take the remainder of Jay's $4M salary and perhaps throw in a warm body.  You may not like Jon Jay, but he has a career OBP over .350 across 10 major league seasons and can play all three OF positions.  He doesn't really make a ton of sense for the Sox right now, but the guy is a major leaguer whether you want to give him that credit or not.  

But yah...LMAO. 

Maybe trading Jay and Escobar as a package deal today gets you...Alex Call or Jake Elmore?  

1 hour ago, Chisox378 said:

Why is Collins catching v.s. a team like Boston, let him hit DH.

McCann can’t catch every night. Collins has to catch some of them right now, so why not put him out there in a game where he’ll be catching a guy he has already caught in Charlotte?

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

McCann can’t catch every night. Collins has to catch some of them right now, so why not put him out there in a game where he’ll be catching a guy he has already caught in Charlotte?

Doesn’t want Collins to take the golden sombrero vs. Price probably.

in other words, they care more about protecting him psychologically than supporting Fulmer at this point.

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

He pretty much has to catch one of the next two. Maybe they figure Price is a cushier matchup than Sale.

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Doesn’t want Collins to take the golden sombrero vs. Price probably.

in other words, they care more about protecting him psychologically than supporting Fulmer at this point.

Why would it be any different DH or catching?  They aren't protecting him psychologically by letting him catch over DH, if Price is gonna get him than he is gonna get him.

that said I would rather Collins catch a pitcher he knows and vice versa 

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Why would it be any different DH or catching?  They aren't protecting him psychologically by letting him catch over DH, if Price is gonna get him than he is gonna get him.

There’s a lot more to think about and definitely more pressure/stress in an environment like last night at Fenway than just sitting on the bench and watching as a DH...or going back and forth from the clubhouse to watch video.

That said, if he needs to be protected against all LHP...he’s probably not the prospect they argued would have gone 1-1.  Of course, veteran managers will invariably protect rookies against especially tough same side pitchers, Ozzie and Ventura were no different in this regard.

They're still doing the same with Moncada three years in...unfortunately, Price can now largely pitch around him.  Probably Jay will bunt the runner over and Moncada will be walked again.

13 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Gives McCann a break from catching. I am sure he catches tomorrow and Collins watches.