Sox interested in Mazara?

fathom

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Didn't see the article but saw this headline on MLBTR and I was coming here to share it: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/07/interest-in-nomar-mazara-reportedly-picking-up.html

Makes sense for our hole in RF.

Edited by soxfan2014

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

I looked at his similarly score thinking I would see Avi Garcia. His number one is Dayan Viciedo.

Good talent. Would be interesting to see what the Sox would have to give up. Reylo?

Heck no to giving up Lopez for him. He has to be one of the worst everyday outfielders the last three years, and it’s not like there’s a lot of control left.  Someone like Fry or Collins is the most I would be ok with them giving up.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Heck no to giving up Lopez for him. He has to be one of the worst everyday outfielders the last three years, and it’s not like there’s a lot of control left.  Someone like Fry or Collins is the most I would be ok with them giving up.

I just can’t see the Rangers not getting starting pitching if they’re giving him up. He’s only 25 next season. 

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah, this move would have made sense in the offseason when you could have given 600 plate appearances in 2019.  He is not the type of guy you add right now if you’re serious about contending next year.

Why do the Sox fall in love with players and always try to acquire them even after they have proven themselves to not be as good as expected?

Did anyone remember that Mazara was one of the guys who the Sox wanted for Sale but the Rangers wouldn’t part with him?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/07/white-sox-listening-on-chris-sale-jose-quintana-trade-deadline-rumors.html

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Why do the Sox fall in love with players and always try to acquire them even after they have proven themselves to not be as good as expected?

Did anyone remember that Mazara was one of the guys who the Sox wanted for Sale but the Rangers wouldn’t part with him?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/07/white-sox-listening-on-chris-sale-jose-quintana-trade-deadline-rumors.html

Because the Sox pro scouting department is obviously bad at what they do.

8 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Because the Sox pro scouting department is obviously bad at what they do.

Mazara is basically Alex Rios Lite.  He has been a consistent .745 OPS guy for years.

I guess he could improve because he’s still young but what would anyone be willing to give up for him?  The Rangers probably always want pitching.  I’d give up Jonathan Stiever but that probably isn’t enough.

He's still just 24, so there is definitely a chance he's still going to improve. Seems to be extremely consistent over his career too. Not sure why the Sox would tray to pry him away though, unless they think this is a buy-low opportunity? I don't really see the fit, especially since it would almost have to cost pitching.

52 minutes ago, fathom said:

I know I'm a broken record with Fry but IMO, his trade value should be very close to Bummer's. LHP, long-term control, high strikeout rate, sound mechanics, 5 pitches, etc.

The only problem is the walk rate, but it's correctable and he has been back to 2018 Fry for about a month now. What I'm saying is that I would 100% not be ok with trading him for Nomar Mazara. 

I can only see low level prospects going for him and Stiever would definitely not be one of them. He’s shown 0 improvements over the years and teams know exactly what your getting from him. I can’t see how the rangers have any advantage with him on the trade front with all the outfielders they have on the roster. He would seem to be the odd man out. If a team wants to overspend on him, go for it but if it’s the white Sox, I definitely won’t be defending them as vigorously as I have. I guess it will depend on what player goes for him.

3 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I know I'm a broken record with Fry but IMO, his trade value should be very close to Bummer's. LHP, long-term control, high strikeout rate, sound mechanics, 5 pitches, etc.

The only problem is the walk rate, but it's correctable and he has been back to 2018 Fry for about a month now. What I'm saying is that I would 100% not be ok with trading him for Nomar Mazara. 

Yeah, I'm pulling the trigger on Fry for this all day.  With that being said thats most likely not near enough.

8 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Why would I want Mazara in RF instead of Garcia?

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Everyone knows that Mazara is only a month older than Moncada, right? This is a buy low situation. Even if the cost was Lopez straight up, I'd still have to consider it. 

Not only is it a buy low situation, but he also is only controlled through 2021. Most of the names from our MLB roster being floated, including Lopez, have more trade value alone than Mazara does. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Not with two TJ surgeries...

• Thanks 1

Mazara has a career 103 wRC+ against right handers and just a 58 wRC+ against lefties. He's an average-ish defender in RF. He's a decent strong side platoon partner, but probably shouldn't be playing everyday. That said, if he could be had for Fry, Walker/Gonzalez, and maybe Jay as a replacement for this year I'd probably do it.