A fair and balanced soliloquy about Jose Abreu, by ron

ron883

15 hours ago, greg775 said:

Yep. So wouldn't you agree he's worth 15 mill a year for 4 years? If anybody wants to pay more than that, shake his hand and say, "Thanx for the memories." I guess you could add a year as long as it's not more than 15 a year.

You have to consider aging curves. players decline about 0.5 WAR per year from age 30-35. if we assume he is now a true talent 3.5 war player you would expect to get like 3, 2.5, 2 and 1.5 war or 9 WAR in 4 years. that is not bad and likely a bit better than what you would get from collins/burger/palka/davidson and it is actually worth around 80M but on the other hand you can get 1.5-2 WAR or so per year for about the minimum in the corner bat heavy sox system. that is only like 2-3 war less over 4 years but it frees a lot of ressources.

abreu is good but he probably has seen his peak and trading him wouldn't be a bad idea. He could be solid the next 4 years but I would spend the ressources on maybe extending moncada or signing a new pitcher or a stud bat.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Surprised I haven't seen any tweets about the last time in one game there was a 3-6 and 3-5 DP on ground balls. Jose made some strong accurate throws on those plays. The 3-5 was particularly impressive.

His arm and instincts on double plays are by far his best defensive assets.  Overall he remains well below average 1B defensively.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Surprised I haven't seen any tweets about the last time in one game there was a 3-6 and 3-5 DP on ground balls. Jose made some strong accurate throws on those plays. The 3-5 was particularly impressive.

When he has a good defensive game the critics are silent. It's the same with Moncada and Anderson, the latter to a greater extent. I can't tell you how many cool, range-y plays TA has made this year that have gone generally unmentioned on Soxtalk/Twitter because all anyone wants to talk about is a certain play he messed up the day before rather than the 3 good plays he made in the current game 

On 6/7/2018 at 11:23 PM, Dam8610 said:

Top 10 and Top 5 at the position are usually considered elite (see the post directly above the one quoted above debunking your false information), but you're right, it's all a conspiracy led by me, and I'm apparently the leader of the Cult of Jose Abreu. How did you put all the pieces together, Ron?

Considering we have WAYYYY too much starting pitching, we could dump Abreu for prospects and then trade our PLETHORA of starting pitching for a truly elite 1B/DH

8 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Considering we have WAYYYY too much starting pitching, we could dump Abreu for prospects and then trade our PLETHORA of starting pitching for a truly elite 1B/DH

There's a thread about how untrue this comment actually is.

Edited by soxfan2014

• 4 months later...

Jose is projected to make 16-20m in arbitrary, from what I have seen. This is a lot of money that could be added to a frontloaded contract for Machado or Harper.

Jose can produce at a slightly above average rate for a 1st baseman. The question is, is it worth it tendering him? Is the drop-off in production that Davidson and palka offer worth the money that can be spent on a superstar? Furthermore, Jose has been proven to be unreliable when it matters. The guy is about as unclutch as can be. He is getting a year older, and I doubt his defense gets any better (it probably gets even worse)

With his drop-off in stats last year, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets even worse. Do the Sox tender him or let him go and spend on Machado/Harper?

11 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I think perhaps a more outside the box proposal would be would the Sox make a play for Paul Goldschmidt and let Jose' go?

They could just got out and try to sign him the following off-season if they're truly interested.  Doesn't really make much sense to give up assests for what might only be a rental in what's (at the moment) not expected to be a contending season. 

You'd think Jose likes Chicago and would sign for four/five years for reasonable Paulie-like money? Sign him to a 4-year deal and let's see if we have a feel-good story for our WS contending teams. It's doubtful he's going to pull an Alex Gordon and forget completely how to hit. How bout 4-years, 65 million and if he doesn't accept, it was fun knowing you, Jose. That's not going to break the Sox, and like I said, we aren't going to win the pennant with all new guys. Keep Jose and Avi or at least one of the two is my edict.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You'd think Jose likes Chicago and would sign for four/five years for reasonable Paulie-like money? Sign him to a 4-year deal and let's see if we have a feel-good story for our WS contending teams. It's doubtful he's going to pull an Alex Gordon and forget completely how to hit. How bout 4-years, 65 million and if he doesn't accept, it was fun knowing you, Jose. That's not going to break the Sox, and like I said, we aren't going to win the pennant with all new guys. Keep Jose and Avi or at least one of the two is my edict.

Avi has had one good year in his entire career and can’t stay healthy.  Why in the world would want to keep him around long-term?

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Why would the Sox be making a play for a player that has one year of team control left?

Why were their rumors / reports of the Sox trying to get Machado this year in a rebuilding season when he was about to become a free agent? Who knows how this front office thinks? I don't say it's likely or even the smart move, just saying I don't think the odds are completely zero if they really think they could get him and extend him.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Avi has had one good year in his entire career and can’t stay healthy.  Why in the world would want to keep him around long-term?

I like Avi. I think he's learned how to hit. As far as injuries, they happen. If our medical staff thinks he's destined to be on the DL a majority of the time, I'd trust that. If they think it's possible he can stay healthy, why not have a few veterans for our WS teams? I still say we aren't going to win with ALL younguns.

30 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I like Avi. I think he's learned how to hit. As far as injuries, they happen. If our medical staff thinks he's destined to be on the DL a majority of the time, I'd trust that. If they think it's possible he can stay healthy, why not have a few veterans for our WS teams? I still say we aren't going to win with ALL younguns.

I agree you are going to need vets to get you over the top look specifically at the Cubs and Astros but I'm not convinced A. Garcia, a guy who admitted one year he was out of shape, who continues to have issues defensively and who just can't stay healthy is the answer. Especially with so many up and coming outfield prospects. They'll probably keep him this year because frankly who the hell would want him right now, but he's not the short or long term answer in my opinion.