Managerial Openings

flavum

31 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27813181/philadelphia-phillies-fire-manager-gabe-kapler

Showalter supposedly in consideration for Philly, Kapler to SFG?

Weird, since Zaidi and Kapler are pretty much on opposing sides in the analytics department.

Zaidi and Kapler worked together pretty closely with the Dodgers.  

5 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Maddon to the Angels official. 

I hear the Angels plan to "spend big" to fix their problems.  Well, the Angels spent a gargantuan amount of money on an aging Albert Pujols, and they broke the bank for Mike Trout... how much "bigger" do they expect to spend?  

Putting all your eggs in one basket and signing one big name free agent is dumb... you don't win by doing that.  In baseball, one player isn't going to change your fortunes.

The Twins did it right.  Once  that Mauer contract came off the books, they took that money and brought in several players who turned them into a playoff team.  The Nationals said goodbye to Bryce Harper and hello to the World Series.  Coincidence?  Maybe yes, maybe no.

39 minutes ago, Donaldo said:

I hear the Angels plan to "spend big" to fix their problems.  Well, the Angels spent a gargantuan amount of money on an aging Albert Pujols, and they broke the bank for Mike Trout... how much "bigger" do they expect to spend?  

Putting all your eggs in one basket and signing one big name free agent is dumb... you don't win by doing that.  In baseball, one player isn't going to change your fortunes.

The Twins did it right.  Once  that Mauer contract came off the books, they took that money and brought in several players who turned them into a playoff team.  The Nationals said goodbye to Bryce Harper and hello to the World Series.  Coincidence?  Maybe yes, maybe no.

Sure, which requires being able to target successfully Tier B/C players to supplement a young core.

Whether Cron or Odorrizi (they were one year early on Lynn, but had right assessment...the late start killed him in 2018), Cruz or Schoop, Pineda (before PED's), Martin Perez or Marwin Gonzalez, they ended up with one solid contributor after another.

We've gotten ONE over the last 3 cycles, McCann.

25 minutes ago, tkling36 said:

Apparently the Cubs are hiring David Ross per Kaplan

Ah yes, the Robin Ventura, never coached anywhere, route. The good news for them is it's not rocket science and there's always a chance he is good. I'd be too worried about guys not taking him that seriously though since they are friends with him.

33 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Ah yes, the Robin Ventura, never coached anywhere, route. The good news for them is it's not rocket science and there's always a chance he is good. I'd be too worried about guys not taking him that seriously though since they are friends with him.

They want him to be a puppet for the front office.....is their front office that good?

22 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Man at least Robin had pedigree as a player. Ross has pedigree from Dancing with the Stars.

21 minutes ago, Quin said:

Man at least Robin had pedigree as a player. Ross has pedigree from Dancing with the Stars.

That is what I was thinking...at least Robin was a great player for the Sox.  Ross is one of the most overrated hyped up players ever to play baseball in this town.  He is like a mythical creature because of his playoff home run, etc.   It is like if the Sox would have hired Geoff Blum to manage the team.

• Thanks 1