Zack Wheeler Thread

caulfield12

Just now, Goober said:

Yesssss can't wait to sign pitcher with 3.96 era last year.

Lolololol look at yourselves

B-b-b-but FREE AGENCY spend some money dadgummit. Just imagine MadBum in our pitcher's park. I would like Wheeler though just get it done. 

Really hope 5/$100M is the max for Wheeler.  Felt good about it being $100M earlier in the offseason, but it is just so hard to know - that Corbin deal scares me a bit.  

Obviously would still be happy as a fan with a 5/$110M or $6/$125M deal, but man that is a lot of money to bet on a good not great pitcher.  At some point, it just makes sense to spend the extra $10M AAV and actually get one of the best pitchers in the game.    

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Really hope 5/$100M is the max for Wheeler.  Felt good about it being $100M earlier in the offseason, but it is just so hard to know - that Corbin deal scares me a bit.  

Obviously would still be happy as a fan with a 5/$110M or $6/$125M deal, but man that is a lot of money to bet on a good not great pitcher.  At some point, it just makes sense to spend the extra $10M AAV and actually get one of the best pitchers in the game.    

Sorry, that money went to Abreu since he is just such a good guy

40 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I mostly just lurk, but please give it a rest.  I think we all know your feelings on Abreu by now.  There's no need to put the same opinion up over and over and over....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I wonder if they would consider Cole if Wheeler passes on the Sox? Because it seems to fall off a cliff after Wheeler, especially if one thinks Madbum will go to an NL team or team closer to his home in North Carolina. I do not want them spending money on Keuchel. 

24 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I wonder if they would consider Cole if Wheeler passes on the Sox? Because it seems to fall off a cliff after Wheeler, especially if one thinks Madbum will go to an NL team or team closer to his home in North Carolina. I do not want them spending money on Keuchel. 

This is how I feel too.  If you miss on Wheeler you pretty much have to go after Cole or Stras.  I mean Ryu wouldn't be awful, I guess?  But after him there is nobody I would want.  They would have to trade.

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

This is how I feel too.  If you miss on Wheeler you pretty much have to go after Cole or Stras.  I mean Ryu wouldn't be awful, I guess?  But after him there is nobody I would want.  They would have to trade.

I don't have any issues with them going after Bumgarner. Even though it feels like he's 35 years old, he's somehow only 30. 

• Like 1

Just now, Grindersrule said:

I mostly just lurk, but please give it a rest.  I think we all know your feelings on Abreu by now.  There's no need to put the same opinion up over and over and over....

He is a one-trick pony hopefully a teenager. 

7 hours ago, ron883 said:

Well, you’re right about that - Abreu is “just such a good guy”.  Nice to see the improvement in your way of thinking on him!

But you’ll be also happy to know that money being spent on Abreu is a drop in the pond in the grand scheme of things, what with the new TV contract in place and what not.  Still plenty left over to spend on elite talent to help take our Sox to the next level - with Jose, leading the way!

15 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

Well, you’re right about that - Abreu is “just such a good guy”.  Nice to see the improvement in your way of thinking on him!

But you’ll be also happy to know that money being spent on Abreu is a drop in the pond in the grand scheme of things, what with the new TV contract in place and what not.  Still plenty left over to spend on elite talent to help take our Sox to the next level - with Jose, leading the way!

Except we don't know that, 100%.

We just know that it's open to being renegotiated in five year's time.   One can make two assumptions...that the deal is fronting them more money than past ratings would merit (allowing the White Sox to significantly increase payroll?), investing in creating a better entertainment product from 2020-24, or;

NBC Universal wants the protection on the back end of the deal that if the rebuild is a flop, they're not stuck paying the White Sox above-market rates over 20-25 years for a team that's put together some of the worst 2-3 year local ratings since the Astros in the beginning of their rebuild.

Edited by caulfield12

22 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They're probably doing their homework on 25 guys including blocked or unblocked AAA guys.

Small sample size of course.

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
Home 16 11 50 44 11 14 3 1 5 8 2 0 6 11 .318 .400 .773 1.173 34 0 0 0 0 0 0 .321 132 198
Away 11 7 37 33 2 7 1 1 2 5 0 0 3 12 .212 .297 .485 .782 16 1 1 0 0 0 0 .263 58 106
Edited by SoxAce

4 minutes ago, HakunaMachado said:

I’m back for more offseason fun. What is the assumed timetable for wheeler? Some people are thinking before thanksgiving, or was that just wishful thinking? 

Also, mods, how does one go about changing their username, lol?

If you read any of these "insider" tweets it sounds like he's close to signing.

So probably sometime in January.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler Thread
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic