WHITE SOX SIGN Grandal 4/$73, Palka DFAd

Whisox05

Am I the only person out there who thinks that Grandal is the type of player to come here and hit .210 with a mediocre to bad OPS? Everyone acts like he's amazing at getting on base, but it was only 2017 when he had an OBP of .308. I was excited about Dunn, and then Laroche, and then Frazier, and I think they were all better hitters (although bringing less with the glove). I'm happy they're doing big things (and I want more of them) and I'll give the benefit of the doubt, but so much of our recent history with big FAs makes me nervous that this will blow up in our face.

I'll show myself out.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Black_Jack29 said:

Most managers won't do this because if your catcher gets hurt and you replace him with your backup catcher who is currently playing DH, you lose the DH. I suppose that the Sox could carry three catchers on their 25-man roster and rotate them at DH, but that seems unlikely, especially with Jose needing a day off of 1B once a week or so. I think it's more likely that Collins gets dealt.

I'm pretty stoked about his move, even though the Sox didn't really need a catcher. They got a nice bat at a nice price. I'll be even more excited when they sign a #1 or #2 SP.

There are 26 spots and I think the best use of it is a rotating bat/catcher. Collins is actually a pretty perfect fit.

Just now, The Sir said:

Am I the only person out there who thinks that Grandal is the type of player to come here and hit .210 with a mediocre to bad OPS? Everyone acts like he's amazing at getting on base, but it was only 2017 when he had an OBP of .308. I was excited about Dunn, and then Laroche, and then Frazier, and I think they were all better hitters (although bringing less with the glove). I'm happy they're doing big things (and I want more of them) and I'll give the benefit of the doubt, but so much of our recent history with big FAs makes me nervous that this will blow up in our face.

I'll show myself out.

Signing any FA lends the team to some risk.. We just hope this one doesn't flop like the others.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Sir said:

I'll show myself out.

The pretty big difference is Grandal was a 4 WAR player the year he had the .308 OBP.

Dunn, Laroche and even Frazier's value was driven mostly by their offense. Grandal's offense is good, but it's also just one part of his value.

4 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

The problem is, his much cheaper replacement should be up 2021 unless something goes really wrong this year.  There is 0 reason to bring back Abreu on a 2 or 3 year deal.  3 years would be awful.

Vaughn hasn't shown that he can hit at the ML level yet and the Sox are projected to be competitive in 2021. I'd rather have Jose in my lineup (especially if he's DHing half of the time) while I'm trying to knock off the Twins than a rookie.

If the Sox can ink Jose through 2022, with the understanding that he's going to be a half-time DH at that point, I don't see that as a negative at all.

3 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I forgot that they knew each other.  Another positive to this deal.  I don't think Collins is getting traded.  They're going to work together.

Oh, great.  Another example of the White Sox playing stupid games.  They drafted this Collins kid just to use him to recruit Grandal down the road.  ^_^

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Black_Jack29 said:

Vaughn hasn't shown that he can hit at the ML level yet and the Sox are projected to be competitive in 2021. I'd rather have Jose in my lineup (especially if he's DHing half of the time) while I'm trying to knock off the Twins than a rookie.

If the Sox can ink Jose through 2022, with the understanding that he's going to be a half-time DH at that point, I don't see that as a negative at all.

They're going to have to trust the kids they have if they want to get anywhere. The reason why we could sign a catcher today is the money freed up by having 3b, SS, 2b, CF, LF covered by kids.

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Bad news about this is, outside of two meetings since the signing, I have gotten nothing done today... not great!

my phone lit up in the middle of a meeting and I couldn't look... and now that I have a million things to do I'm F5ing baseball web sites.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Again, as I have explained to you before. 

You are statically, factually, wrong, but I don't want to rehash this over and over again.

If you truly believe this, you should quit your job and gamble for a living.

Yes, they sat Grandal in the playoffs and then let him walk because they had prospects behind him... 

Grandal signed a 1 year deal - the Dodgers could have had him on a two year deal if they wanted to move on when the prospects were ready. The Dodgers were not fans of Grandal - they did not like how he called/received a gamd. Idk what to tell you.

So... your argument is grandal is the best catcher in baseball but the Dodgers had prospects in their system so they let him walk. The Dodgers just played Russell Martin for nearly half their games.

Good take a month ago by you when I said the sox should sign Grandal as a tier 2, complimentary guy and that he'd fit the mold to make the team better... you posted the following... But, now that we sign him you're all in. HAH!!

Spare me. Your takes are cold, flip flop, and are consistently off base. They are statistically, factually wrong, but I don't want to rehash this over and over again. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They're going to have to trust the kids they have if they want to get anywhere. The reason why we could sign a catcher today is the money freed up by having 3b, SS, 2b, CF, LF covered by kids.

Yes, and we're letting those kids develop now, when nobody expects the Sox to win 90+ games. The expectations are going to be much higher two years from now. Maybe the rest of the lineup will be strong enough by then that having a rookie 1B develop during a pennant push isn't a big deal. And maybe it won't. If Jose is willing to stick around via one- or two-year deals, he's a heck of an insurance policy.

6 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Yes, they sat Grandal in the playoffs and then let him walk because they had prospects behind him... 

Grandal signed a 1 year deal - the Dodgers could have had him on a two year deal if they wanted to move on when the prospects were ready. The Dodgers were not fans of Grandal - they did not like how he called/received a gamd. Idk what to tell you.

So... your argument is grandal is the best catcher in baseball but the Dodgers had prospects in their system so they let him walk. The Dodgers just played Russell Martin for nearly half their games.

Good take a month ago by you when I said the sox should sign Grandal as a tier 2, complimentary guy and that he'd fit the mold to make the team better... you posted the following... But, now that we sign him you're all in. HAH!!

Spare me. Your takes are cold, flip flop, and are consistently off base. They are statistically, factually wrong, but I don't want to rehash this over and over again. 

What is confusing about my post?

I have said here that his defense is overvalued - certainly that is true. Does that mean I am not happy about signing one of the 3 best catchers in baseball? No. Does it mean I think Grandal is as valuable as the 4+ fWAR player he's been over the past 3 years? No, and I think the market confirmed that it agreed with my opinion as well - he wasn't paid like a 4 WAR player, he was paid like a league average player 2-3 WAR.

I stand by my initial post, and I'm still excited about the signing. I'm not sure how I can't do both of those things, but OK. Is it OK for me to think Grandal's defense wasn't as good as "BEST IN BASEBALL" all while being excited about him joining the White Sox?

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, chw42 said:

People thought he'd get 4 and 70 or 3 and 53. So $17-18 AAV was the expectation. To get him this early you'd need to add a little bit, but it wasn't that much of an overpay.

This is how you get early signings...give the person what he is seeking without getting cute.