WHITE SOX SIGN Grandal 4/$73, Palka DFAd

Whisox05

1 minute ago, Soxnfins said:

I might still be in the minority here, but if we don't land both Wheeler and someone like Castellanos, Collins may be trade bait for a SP/OF.

I'd prefer to throw in McCann instead of Collins. Apparently Narvaez is talk of the town due to his offense and a few teams need catching.  

On 11/21/2019 at 12:21 PM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

There’s no question he’s better than Wellington but he’s also getting paid MUCH more than Wellington was. You can’t completely discount the possibility of Grandal’s offense deteriorating in the relatively near future (particularly a known PED user, much like Welly). Hopefully it doesn’t deteriorate until year 4 rather than year 1 or 2.

SSS but off to a very ominous start to his Sox career. 281 slugging percentage thru 71 PA 🤢

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

SSS but off to a very ominous start to his Sox career. 281 slugging percentage thru 71 PA 🤢

Where veteran hitters go to die. It's a Hall of Shame but we will see. Covid will be a great excuse for 2020 failures. Mazara looks lost and who knows with Edwin. 

3 hours ago, pcq said:

Where veteran hitters go to die. It's a Hall of Shame but we will see. Covid will be a great excuse for 2020 failures. Mazara looks lost and who knows with Edwin. 

At least the Mazara and Edwin acquisitions were low risk, short duration, and aren’t blocking anyone (Engel really isn’t an everyday RF). With the Grandal signing, the Sox decided he’s their starting catcher for the next 4 years while booting last year’s all star McCann in the process.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

Twenty games are not enough to make a firm judgement on...but as of today, McCann would be my choice between Grandal and McCann.  Hope that home run yesterday unlocks Grandal's missing power tool.

Since I watch very little NL play, I did not know much about Grandal coming in to this season.  I have been relying on the word of other posters that he is a very streaky hitter.  If he is heating up now that could help the Sox to go on a run against some lesser opponents and put them in a better playoff position.  

21 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

At least the Mazara and Edwin acquisitions were low risk, short duration, and aren’t blocking anyone (Engel really isn’t an everyday RF). With the Grandal signing, the Sox decided he’s their starting catcher for the next 4 years while booting last year’s all star McCann in the process.

Doesn't Grandal have a .350 OBP?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

That’s nice but they didn’t pay him $73M to put up Madrigal-like offensive numbers. Grandal should be hitting 9 or 10 homers in this shortened season, especially if he continues to bat cleanup.

If this was the normal 2020 baseball season, we would be somewhere around the middle of April when you think of how many games have been played so far, in a season played essentially without a spring training.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If this was the normal 2020 baseball season, we would be somewhere around the middle of April when you think of how many games have been played so far, in a season played essentially without a spring training.

Oh I know. I acknowledged it’s a SSS thus far but it’s still a worrisome start for a player that is traditionally a fast starter and then fades later in the season. This team is counting on this guy a ton and needs him to perform at recent levels in order to compete this season.

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Grandal is one of the best 2 catchers in the game.  Relax.  

Wasn’t Yelich struggling horribly. Devers, Bellinger, Springer, Suarez and Acuna too?

You guys probably would take McCann over them too

Edited by Joshua Strong

1 hour ago, Joshua Strong said:

Wasn’t Yelich struggling horribly. Devers, Bellinger, Springer, Suarez and Acuna too?

You guys probably would take McCann over them too

Except none of those guys you mentioned in the first paragraph is on the wrong side of 30 or been busted for PEDs in the past like Grandal.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Except none of those guys you mentioned in the first paragraph is on the wrong side of 30 or been busted for PEDs in the past like Grandal.

Lol, Yasmani Grandal was suspended for taking testosterone in 2012, 2 years after he was drafted. It is a complete non issue.

Grandal is one of the very best catchers in the game.  They've played 22 games in a weird ass season.  He hasn't been great, but he's going to be just fine.  His OBP is .347 and his career OBP is .348.  His slugging is way down, but he's going to be fine.    

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, Yasmani Grandal was suspended for taking testosterone in 2012, 2 years after he was drafted. It is a complete non issue.

Grandal is one of the very best catchers in the game.  They've played 22 games in a weird ass season.  He hasn't been great, but he's going to be just fine.  His OBP is .347 and his career OBP is .348.  His slugging is way down, but he's going to be fine.    

Yea, just like Nelson Cruz has been clean since 2013 lol

• Haha 1