Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, 2Deep said:

Haven't we had enough stop gaps:

Palka, avi, jay, leury, cordell............

I have no issue with ozuna, pederson, and to a lesser extent castellanos

Those guys aren’t stopgaps. They're rebuilding placeholders. I am talking about a legitimate MLb RF, just on 1 year deal. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Those guys aren’t stopgaps. They're rebuilding placeholders. I am talking about a legitimate MLb RF, just on 1 year deal. 

Understood.  However, I don't know what legitimate MLB RF going to take a one year deal at this point.  Someone may if free agency fizzles out but this market does not seem like it's going to fizzle.   

I didnt understand Rosenthal's point last night.

He said the sox would be in on Cole but they dont want to bid against the Yankees and Angels. Claimed if boras called and said if you offer 280 we'll sign now, the sox would do it. Well, if he doesnt get to 280 why wouldnt Boras make that call? That excuse sounds like BS. Willing to go to 280 but not even gonna waste their time bidding.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Let's take on the Darvish contract for the Cubs.. We will also take Quintana too :D. The Cubs alone could realistically solve our SP issues.

Said it before but the darvish contract is fine at this point and I'd be interested, but it's hard to know what cost of prospects would be.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Said it before but the darvish contract is fine at this point and I'd be interested, but it's hard to know what cost of prospects would be.

Yes, his contract is fine.  The Cubs just don't want it since they want to shed.  He is not a strictly salary dump.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

He's owed 81 million over the next four years and his projections are:

11.8 WAR projected and that assumes good health. If he stays healthy, he's worth it, but from 2015-2019 Darvish has only thrown 504 innings; a little more than 100 innings a year. If he does anywhere near that number, he's worth 1/2 his 11.8 WAR projection and his contract is well underwater. Steamer is pretty aggressive with his projection given that he has not reach his projected WAR since 2013.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Embarrassing for the Cubs. If the Sox close their window early because of a couple bad FA contracts that'll be horrible as well.

Maybe we can get Quintana back to be our 4/5. It takes 10m off their books. Give them a middling prospect. 

And before anyone says that will leave a hole in their staff if they are trying to unload money they won't be competing anyway 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Understood.  However, I don't know what legitimate MLB RF going to take a one year deal at this point.  Someone may if free agency fizzles out but this market does not seem like it's going to fizzle.   

I am referring to trade. If trade route doesn’t work, Calhoun isn’t my 1st choice, but he’d likely come on 1 year deal, and I’d prefer that to giving Ozuna a Grandal+ deal. 

5 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Maybe we can get Quintana back to be our 4/5. It takes 10m off their books. Give them a middling prospect. 

And before anyone says that will leave a hole in their staff if they are trying to unload money they won't be competing anyway 

his contract is the least of their worries.

21 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I didnt understand Rosenthal's point last night.

He said the sox would be in on Cole but they dont want to bid against the Yankees and Angels. Claimed if boras called and said if you offer 280 we'll sign now, the sox would do it. Well, if he doesnt get to 280 why wouldnt Boras make that call? That excuse sounds like BS. Willing to go to 280 but not even gonna waste their time bidding.

If this is true, then offer Stras 210 million and Ryu 70 million. 

20 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I do not trust darvish.  He is injury prone and something always seems to be wrong.  

Look at his second half numbers... he definitely figured something out. Plus I think now he'll be even better with the Astros stuff coming out. You can tell that World Series was in his head for quite some time. Only thing that can stop Darvish potentially is injuries.