Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

If the Sox sign Ozuna today our front office will look even worse than last year. 

Becuase some random DR reporter that no one had heard of started this rumor?  Lol, cmon man.  The Sox haven't done anything wrong here, and Reinsdorf isn't going to come out and say they're working to finalize a deal.  He could very well just be messing with Heyman.

That being said, I doubt this rumor is real because Ozuna is a desperate move, and we're not really in a position to be making desperate moves.  

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

If this is all true and they aren't in on Ozuna and their other targets fall through, I wonder if Ozuna's camp takes the vehement denials and even laughs now as disrespect if they try to circle back? 

If they've had actual discussions to the point where an offer was proposed, this does seem very disrespectful.

They may be throwing people off the scent. Hector is credible in my eyes even if his friend is unproven. 

They may be trying to finalize it. But it still doesn't make sense. He cannot play RF. If he's gonna be the DH that leaves Jose with nowhere to play in 21 or 22 since rabbit said Vaughn is not being traded.

Ozuna in LF puts Eloy at DH which still leaves someone making 17m a year with nowhere to play and while the Sox might be sentimental about Jose, they aren't gonna be THAT sentimental, so it doesn't add up unless they just don't care about corner OF defense at all. 

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Yeah, I don't get it either. JR pretty much put a fork in Ozuna at all let alone still today.

Honestly I don't mind. Much prefer Joc even if a deal isn't as likely right now. Or even Castellanos cause of the bat (also may not be as likely cause of Boras but you get the point).

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

It looks like many on this board still think Santa will be coming down their chimney. JR owns the team . Probably is a better source than a nobody in the DR.

What are you implying?

Everyone around baseball seems to think the Sox are going to continue to make substantial splashes. Do you think that's a league wide fabrication?

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Becuase some random DR reporter that no one had heard of started this rumor?  Lol, cmon man.  The Sox haven't done anything wrong here, and Reinsdorf isn't going to come out and say they're working to finalize a deal.  He could very well just be messing with Heyman.

That being said, I doubt this rumor is real because Ozuna is a desperate move, and we're not really in a position to be making desperate moves.  

I wouldn't call potentially signing Ozuna desperate. He's an above average starter that is way better than any current Sox mlb or farm internal option. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

It looks like many on this board still think Santa will be coming down their chimney. JR owns the team . Probably is a better source than a nobody in the DR.

Yah, but Santa is delivering a toy that was like...super cool in 2016, but is now just something that was.  

Just now, steveno89 said:

I wouldn't call potentially signing Ozuna desperate. He's an above average starter that is way better than any current Sox mlb or farm internal option. 

I would.  Its desperate because he's not a good fit for the overall roster construction.  As @bmags said earlier today, we should be analyzing deals based on putting the club in the best position to contend for the upcoming window, not compared to the hot garbage we threw out there in 2019.  Of course Ozuna is an upgrade over that -- pretty much any MLB regular would be. 

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What are you implying?

Everyone around baseball seems to think the Sox are going to continue to make substantial splashes. Do you think that's a league wide fabrication?

My question who? They aren't being talked about for any player really.  

Just now, Sox80 said:

My question who? They aren't being talked about for any player really.  

They've been linked to almost everyone at this point; whether real or not, who knows, but they've been rumored as involved with anyone who has a pulse.

Also, that's not really a bad thing anyway. They weren't linked to Grandal and boom.

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

Why is it your money?  

Lol, of course its not my money.  But the Sox are always going to be a team on a budget.  Paying average players a shit ton of money, and trading away cheap controllable talent are the two best ways to ensure we end up right where we were before we traded Sale, Eaton and Quintana.  

So yes, I care deeply about how the Sox allocate their funds, and you should too.  

• Like 1