Offseason 2019-2020 MLB Catch All Thread

iWiN4PreP

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

And Bruce also mentioned that the Cubs are considering keeping Bryant AND trading for Arenado

Bruce didn't say this. They brought up the Jeff Passan rumor about Jason Heyward, Willson Contreras etc for Arenado. Then Bruce said his sources have told him Cards/Rockies have talked and discussed Liberatore, Hudson, Martinez and O'Neil. Then he said Cubs are considering using Bryant as their everyday CF if he's on the team. There was nothing about having Arenado and Bryant on the same roster. 

On 1/10/2020 at 9:25 AM, thxfrthmmrs said:

No doubt Y2Jimmy had sources, but he first reported back on 12/23. Fake Cishek said the sides were close on 1/1 and he was extended on 1/2, and that was the first time he mentioned a Robert extension. If he was only piggybacking off Jimmy, why didn’t he do it much earlier?

I had heard that the White Sox were very confident a deal would happen. I didn't report that part (as I've said on multiple podcasts) because I wasn't sure how soon. I assumed it'd be closer to end of spring. Cishek dude may have a source on it but I wasn't expecting that deal on that day despite random DM's from people saying it was close haha 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I had heard that the White Sox were very confident a deal would happen. I didn't report that part (as I've said on multiple podcasts) because I wasn't sure how soon. I assumed it'd be closer to end of spring. Cishek dude may have a source on it but I wasn't expecting that deal on that day despite random DM's from people saying it was close haha 

I can verify you were told it was very close. Also thanks for the update on what Bruce really reported.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, fathom said:

And Bruce also mentioned that the Cubs are considering keeping Bryant AND trading for Arenado

Well, that is obviously BS.  Ricketts won’t go over the luxury tax.

The Cardinals offer looks fake because of Dakota Hudson being involved.  How does moving him for Arenado help them win now?  I would expect the Cardinals to include another prospect in Hudson’s place instead.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

8 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

They are the most delusional fanbase in baseball.

So they keep their entire team and acquire Arenado?  What exactly are they trading for him then?  Almora and some scrubs from their trash farm system?  How dumb can you be?

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

They aren’t. Their fans are just morons who don’t know anything about baseball.

They must think because the stock market has raised the wealth of the billionaire class up by 25% this year that these profits will be added to the Cubs’ payroll by Ricketts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

They must think because the stock market has raised the wealth of the billionaire class up by 25% this year that these profits will be added to the Cubs’ payroll by Ricketts.

They do, and it's reasonable. They started to charge people extra to watch the damn games. If you want to piss off your fanbase, one way to do that is to charge them extra to watch their team on tv and cry poor simultaneously. When an organization squeezes every dime they can out of their fanbase, they're not allowed to cry poor. 

I know plenty of Cub fans that are beyond pissed. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

That’s what made me think he does have sources. You and FS broke the initial report but I don’t think his tweet was piggybacking off of it but rather either from a source or a random ass guess (unlikely). Judging from your last statement, it sounded like rumors were spreading among those in the privy and he is connected to one of them, making it even more likely that he does have his sources.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How are the Cubs getting Arenado if that’s their lineup?

Even if it took only prospects, they'd be what, $35M over the very luxury tax that has kept them sitting on their hands all winter?  Without a full starting staff or pen.  Yeah...

• Like 2

The Cubs/Ricketts    could resolve Chris Bryant's playing time manipulation case at any time by signing him to an extension. Instead the Ricketts have chosen to make an agreement with Bryant for the 2020 season in order to avoid arbitration while  simultaneously proceeding with the Grievance.  IMO, Ricketts will probably have to extend Bryant regardless of the outcome of the grievance case.  Otherwise they are just kicking the can down the road.

Was one extra year of contractual control of Bryant really worth all of this trouble and possibly alienating Bryant from wanting to play for the Cubs organization?  The Cub/Bryant fiasco should be instructive for teams that find themselves playing the same game as the Cubs did.  If a team  believes in a player, then consider signing him up on a long term deal like the White Sox did with Eloy and Robert.  In cases where a team is justifiably reticent to enter into a long term contract with a prospect (like Madrigal)  that is fine, but then bring him up if /when he is ready instead of  keeping him in the minors in order to play the service time game. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, tray said:

The Cubs/Ricketts    could resolve Chris Bryant's playing time manipulation case at any time by signing him to an extension. Instead the Ricketts have chosen to make an agreement with Bryant for the 2020 season in order to avoid arbitration while  simultaneously proceeding with the Grievance.  IMO, Ricketts will probably have to extend Bryant regardless of the outcome of the grievance case.  Otherwise they are just kicking the can down the road.

Was one extra year of contractual control of Bryant really worth all of this trouble and possibly alienating Bryant from wanting to play for the Cubs organization?  The Cub/Bryant fiasco should be instructive for teams that find themselves playing the same game as the Cubs did.  If a team  believes in a player, then consider signing him up on a long term deal like the White Sox did with Eloy and Robert.  In cases where a team is justifiably reticent to enter into a long term contract with a prospect (like Madrigal)  that is fine, but then bring him up if /when he is ready instead of  keeping him in the minors in order to play the service time game. 

He rejected their extension proposal and now they are in court for his service time manipulation.  I think the time for solving it all by throwing a lot of money at him has long since passed, in fact it may not ever have been much of a possibility.  Boras made it pretty well known that they were pretty pissed off that he was held down for the extra year.

Bryant is gonna be traded.

If the Cubs allegedly threw a lot at Bryant ( as we suspect happened) and no agreement could be reached, then his trade value is diminished given the uncertainty that would confront any team considering a trade for him. 

This fiasco may prove to  be pretty brutal for Cubs and their  fans depending on how this all works out.  Looking from the outside as a Sox fan, It seemed to me that the dynamic duo of Bryant/Rizzo was as important to the Cubs as Toews/Kane was to the Hawks over the years. I guess they can throw out all of their Kris Bryant jerseys now.

So the Cubs don't want to throw big money at Kris Bryant but they may be willing to trade talent to get Arenado for $35 Million a year for seven years.  This is not about loyalty to a franchise player that helped the Cubs finally win a WS and worse, it may look like bad blood and unfair dealing with Bryant.  Or it is just about winning at any and all costs where money  (to the Ricketts) is no object. Time to upgrade. Bye bye Kris Bryant. 

Edited by tray

Yes, we think that ....but they haven't shown their hand yet. 

If they trade for Arenado this may all prove to be about positioning to win...at any cost, again.  

Ricketts has been spending like a drunken sailor since he purchased the franchise. They have all but gold plated the old confines into something that many older Cub fans no longer recognize. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tray said:

Yes, we think that ....but they haven't shown their hand yet. 

If they trade for Arenado this may all prove to be about positioning to win...at any cost, again.  

Ricketts has been spending like a drunken sailor since he purchased the franchise. They have all but gold plated the old confines into something that many older Cub fans no longer recognize. 

There is literally no players left aside from Castellanos/Ozuna they could use. They have no bullpen, no RF, 2nd base is a question with Hoerner, rotation aside from Yu and Hendricks is poo.  They are shot and did literally nothing outside of minor league depth.  Even if they did this weird trade with COL they wouldn't really improve by much at all.

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

There is literally no players left aside from Castellanos/Ozuna they could use. They have no bullpen, no RF, 2nd base is a question with Hoerner, rotation aside from Yu and Hendricks is poo.  They are shot and did literally nothing outside of minor league depth.  Even if they did this weird trade with COL they wouldn't really improve by much at all.

The rumor was they couldn’t even afford Eric Sogard or Brock Holt for 2B and that’s why they signed infielder Carlos Asuaje to a minor league deal.  😂