Cole Hamels to the Braves, 1 year $18 Million.

4 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Brilliant. Wheeler starts to sweat that we might be pivoting toward other pitchers and that our offer, which is currently the highest, might not be available for much longer. Wheeler to the good guys by Thursday. Book it. Time to figure out RF.

Please tell me you’re not bullshitting us...

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Brilliant. Wheeler starts to sweat that we might be pivoting toward other pitchers and that our offer, which is currently the highest, might not be available for much longer. Wheeler to the good guys by Thursday. Book it. Time to figure out RF.

I am sure that Wheelers agent is sweating the Hamels comp.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

I am sure that Wheelers agent is sweating the Hamels comp.  

Especially with Yankees going after Cole and Strasburg, potentially getting Wheeler even more money from the Angels.  I still think Wheeler is nuts to decide before Cole and Strasburg do.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Especially with Yankees going after Cole and Strasburg, potentially getting Wheeler even more money from the Angels.  I still think Wheeler is nuts to decide before Cole and Strasburg do.

Worst scenario is the Twins getting more pitching.  Missing out on Cole and Stras while Wheeler goes to Minny would be a miserable fail.

3 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Worst scenario is the Twins getting more pitching.  Missing out on Cole and Stras while Wheeler goes to Minny would be a miserable fail.

If they get outbid by the Twins for any of their targets, Hahn and Kenny should be tarred and feathered while being rode out of town on a rail. 

Either spend the money on FA or spend it internationally and in the draft on scouting and development. You're not allowed to do neither. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 hours ago, fathom said:

The problem there is that he might have to wait until March+ if he waits out the 2 Boras pitchers.

9 minutes ago, Sarava said:

The problem there is that he might have to wait until March+ if he waits out the 2 Boras pitchers.

It’s possible he waits it out, and granted this may be an anomaly comparing apples to oranges, but Moustakas signed earlier than an expected Boras client would sign. That might be due to him not receiving multi year deals in the past, but it’s entirely possible Wheeler signs before the Boras clients. 

8 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

It’s possible he waits it out, and granted this may be an anomaly comparing apples to oranges, but Moustakas signed earlier than an expected Boras client would sign. That might be due to him not receiving multi year deals in the past, but it’s entirely possible Wheeler signs before the Boras clients. 

Oh I think Wheeler will sign long before the Boras big guns. I was just pointing out a reason why he probably doesn't want to wait for Cole and Strasburg to sign. Wheeler has interest coming from every direction right now. He should strike while the iron is hot - wherever that is. Hopefully the Sox for our sake.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

If they get outbid by the Twins for any of their targets, Hahn and Kenny should be tarred and feathered while being rode out of town on a rail. 

Either spend the money on FA or spend it internationally and in the draft on scouting and development. You're not allowed to do neither. 

We shouldn't be outbid by any team for any players we want.  Our financial situation is second to none.  To clarify...a player can get so costly as to be a poor acquisition but not unaffordable.  

7 hours ago, fathom said:

Just because teams are willing to spend big on the top two arms doesn't mean they will overpay for Wheeler. For instance, if we miss out on our top target Wheelerz that doesn't mean we are gonna overpay DK all of a sudden. 

7 hours ago, fathom said:

In theory that makes sense but in practice probably not. He's already got the most teams interested in him than any other free agent.  I think he takes longer to decide than this week because teams might still not be giving their best offers but the Winter meetings seem like a good time to make a decision.

Nothing earth shattering on the podcast. Cole Hamels has heard from half the teams in the league. The Sox have called and said they have other players they want to sign first but they would like to circle back and explore a contract with him. Hamels said he would love to play for the Sox and feels like he fits very well in their rotation. He also said if he had the opportunity he would return to the Cubs.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Nothing earth shattering on the podcast. Cole Hamels has heard from half the teams in the league. The Sox have called and said they have other players they want to sign first but they would like to circle back and explore a contract with him. Hamels said he would love to play for the Sox and feels like he fits very well in their rotation. He also said if he had the opportunity he would return to the Cubs.

Guess we can put away our pitchforks for now. 

15 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Thanks for sharing.  Sounds like Hamels is only in the second starter mix, which makes total sense.  Now go get Wheeler and cross another item off our list.

14 minutes ago, hi8is said:

How utterly bizarre for a player to go onto a White Sox podcast of all places to say that.

I agree. When I first heard he was going to be on the podcast, I figured it was a lock there would be an announcement today of his signing. But someone with no White Sox ties on a White Sox podcast is pretty strange.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I agree. When I first heard he was going to be on the podcast, I figured it was a lock there would be an announcement today of his signing. But someone with no White Sox ties on a White Sox podcast is pretty strange.

It’s unprecedented as far as I recall. Strangest thing I’ve seen all offseason, aside from the trash can bandin bros.

He would be a very Sox signing - overpaying for someone who has had home/road split issues going back to TX. Aging. Short term signing that really doesn't put us in a position to win anything, just wasting money. Save that $30mm over two years in 2020 and 2021 and apply it towards 2022 and 2023. No need to flush money down the toilet for someone who isn't going to be on a championship roster.

Also Hamels has said in the past that he's willing to go year to year to join championship rosters ... the 2019 sox are not that. They are a 77-85 win team. This is just a really poor way of posturing through the media. True story I'd rather have Nova or James Shields (half joking) ---  eat innings at $3-6mm on a one year deal.

outside of adding a wheeler or strasburg or cole you just need a #5 guy who is there to compete, throw some QS, and put pressure on Lopez/Rodon to keep their spot. Also to help fill innings while Kopech is on a restriction plus who knows how his control is after a year off - he could very easily be one of those back and forth MLB/AAA guys throughout 2020 until he rights the ship. 

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

It really seemed pointless to have him on. He didn’t make it seem like anything was close with any team. He also didn’t seem to be using this as leverage. Just weird to have him on. 

Wasn't pointless to Garfien.  Got a few extra listeners.

2 hours ago, Orlando said:

It really seemed pointless to have him on. He didn’t make it seem like anything was close with any team. He also didn’t seem to be using this as leverage. Just weird to have him on. 

Considering he’s going to be in Hawaii during the Winter Meetings, it sure doesn’t seem he’s planning on signing soon.

On a 1 year deal, I have zero issues with Hamels at all, so long as he isn't the marquee SP addition. I suppose I could live with him on a reasonable 2 year deal, but things will get pretty crowded in the rotation in 2021.  These things tend to work themselves out though, so having too much SP isn't a horrible thing.  Could always trade Hamels next offseason as well if need be, assuming he doesn't have an awful 2020.