Ryu to Jays - 4 yr/80 mil

ron883

if it takes a 4 year contract I dont know man. switching to AL, injury history, age..... I think he ends up on the DL way more than pitching for us. but if the sox dont think it will handcuff them for future signings (including our own guys) then let's do it.

I really want to see Lindbloom and Wood out of the remaining, realistic, SPs options. I know it's blah but it is what it is at this point. As many have said missing out on Wheeler was huge. The $/yrs for Bum and Keuchel just dont do it for me. I think they get lit up at the cell.

We need to hire whoever the Rangers used to evaluate Lance Lynn and Mike Minor, who were 6.7 and 4.0, respectively.

Charlie Morton had a 6 fWAR last year and was available to everyone in baseball last offseason.

Sonny Gray, 4.5, another example.

Marco Gonzales at #75 overall and 3.7 fWAR, even though everyone keeps saying the most you surrender for him is Collins or Stiever.

Matthew Boyd at #100 and 3.3 fWAR.

Heck, Frankie Montas was 3.0 fWAR.

With Semien (7), Sale, Escobar, Tatis, Jr., Quintana, Tim Anderson, Montas...we produced 7 out of the top 120 players in MLB.  Going by averages/statistical probability, every team should have roughly four.   Of course, six of those guys are with other teams.

24 Moncada, 29 Grandal, 31 Giolito, 92 TA

FYI:  Wheeler 28, Ryu 30

Edited by caulfield12

52 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

We need to hire whoever the Rangers used to evaluate Lance Lynn and Mike Minor, who were 6.7 and 4.0, respectively.

Charlie Morton had a 6 fWAR last year and was available to everyone in baseball last offseason.

Sonny Gray, 4.5, another example.

Marco Gonzales at #75 overall and 3.7 fWAR, even though everyone keeps saying the most you surrender for him is Collins or Stiever.

Matthew Boyd at #100 and 3.3 fWAR.

Heck, Frankie Montas was 3.0 fWAR.

With Semien (7), Sale, Escobar, Tatis, Jr., Quintana, Tim Anderson, Montas...we produced 7 out of the top 120 players in MLB.  Going by averages/statistical probability, every team should have roughly four.   Of course, six of those guys are with other teams.

24 Moncada, 29 Grandal, 31 Giolito, 92 TA

FYI:  Wheeler 28, Ryu 30

21 names for those keeping score at home

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

21 names for those keeping score at home

Well, that’s all this offseason amounts to right now.  Names.  More names.   Endless conjecture.  Nothing concrete happening.

Ryu, Bumgarner and Keuchel will be too expensive.

Bargain bin diving these next two off seasons, or, at best, trading and extending Robbie Ray.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Fantastic thread title Ronald. Well done!

For those who don't know the reference it's from the innovative video game Street Fighter that started in arcades in the late 80's and proceeded into the video game revolution starting with the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) and Super NES with the even more successful Street Fighter ll. But it had made its way to a PC game before that.

Ryu was one of the characters. In Street Fighter, hadouken (波動拳) is a special attack unleashed by Ryu, Ken, and a few other characters. It literally means "wave motion fist", so the concept behind the attack is to send a burst of energy at an opponent,

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/64071/15-things-you-might-not-know-about-street-fighter

I had to look up the reference but when I did I was very familiar with the game since I bought an NES a long time ago and also had a SEGA Genesis. I mostly used to watch my young son at the time in the mid 90's playing it on his cousins Super NES . He has been a gamer and computer geek for a long time now and is in his early 30's and makes a  good living with his knowledge.

No Ron883 is not my son because that would make him Ron, Jr. and that is not my sons name.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Who's better Ryu or Bumgarner? What about Keuchel?

It's really not a matter of who is better but for arguments sake just based on last year alone Ryu is better since he finished 2nd in the NL Cy Young award,

It's a matter of if Ryu can stay healthy.Bumgarner is a workhorse with a lot of innings on his arm and is the youngest of the 3 but likely the most expensive but also more likely to stay healthy. Keuchel is somewhere between them younger than Ryu but like Bumgarner perhaps his best days are behind him . Heck all 3 of them might have their best days behind them but Ryu has the most productive recent season. Ryu is the biggest risk of the 3 health wise.

The question the Sox have to ask themselves is do we take the risk on Ryu in a go for it mentality ,which many of our fans here seem to want, or do they value decent production that;s more likely to last a whole season with Bum or Keuchel . Or do they not like any of them because of the cost of any of them and prefer to try to find a young controllable pitcher for prospects who will not cost them millions of dollars and thereby freeing up more money to add to other areas either this or next year.

Of course then even if they go for any of them they still have to beat out the competion for them and that won't be easy.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, that’s all this offseason amounts to right now.  Names.  More names.   Endless conjecture.  Nothing concrete happening.

Ryu, Bumgarner and Keuchel will be too expensive.

Bargain bin diving these next two off seasons, or, at best, trading and extending Robbie Ray.

It's still on the early side, but I am tired of the conjecture and speculation. I will be glad when the team makes its decisions no matter what they are, and we will finally see what the 2020 team will look like. At this point, I don't care about any rumors.

One thing to remember about Keuchel that is never brought up is his defense. He will probably remind of lot of people here of Mark Buehrle as a soft throwing guy who rarely walks anyone, doesn't K many, and gets a lot of ground balls and helps himself very much with his ability to field his position very well. Not sure how good his pick off move is but if it's as good as Mark's was we better hope Joe West isn't the home plate umpire for any of his starts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Is there any reason to be excited about Keuchel over Ryu or vice versa?  😂

Very much so. He will bring a longer term veteran stability to the pitching staff. Giolito has been up and down. Kopech is returning from injury. Cease is inconsistent. Lopez is very inconsistent. Keuchel may not have the upside that Ryu has but he also doesn't have the injury history. Keuchal would be the target to stabilize and provide consistency to the staff. Both would be nice but if it's only one I take Keuchal.

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

I mean they probably don't want to give 80 million dollars to a guy who might pitch 150 innings once or twice in a 4 year deal.  I am fine with that.

They just offered a guy 5/$125M who literally has been injured the exact same amount as Ryu.  

• knightni changed the title to Ryu to Jays - 4 yr/80 mil