Golf/PGA TOUR thread

My girls team won their third straight tournament and won a season long championship. We start the state playoffs next week. The defending state champs are in our district, were hoping for the second spot which advances to the next round. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

45 minutes ago, Texsox said:

My girls team won their third straight tournament and won a season long championship. We start the state playoffs next week. The defending state champs are in our district, were hoping for the second spot which advances to the next round. 

Congratulations! Always satisfying as a coach to see them doing well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Fantastic news friend!🙂

Sounds like they are way better than me. This was me last summer:

golf-too-good-for-your-home.gif

• Like 1

Well, day one was a mixed bag. Our team chances went to zero when one of my freshman girls who was averaging just under 80 shot a personal worst 96. Unlike some sports I couldn't sub for her or call some plays away from her. Even the "safe" shots went bad. 

But my top player is in fourth just two strokes back. So we're trying to at least repeat last year when she advanced to the second round. 

On 3/28/2023 at 7:26 AM, Texsox said:

Well, day one was a mixed bag. Our team chances went to zero when one of my freshman girls who was averaging just under 80 shot a personal worst 96. Unlike some sports I couldn't sub for her or call some plays away from her. Even the "safe" shots went bad. 

But my top player is in fourth just two strokes back. So we're trying to at least repeat last year when she advanced to the second round. 

That's tough. A lot of pressure for a freshman. Just need to learn from the experiences. 

30 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That's tough. A lot of pressure for a freshman. Just need to learn from the experiences. 

I think as I gain more experience as a coach I'm better at realizing even those kids who shoot around par are really still inexperienced and fourteen or fifteen years old. 

Same thing today with the boys. They get to the first tee, see a crowd, announcers calling their name, school, college commitment (if applicable), backdrop with all the school banners flying, and finally realize it's not just another tournament. Older kids have set a goal of reaching the state finals and are dialed in. Seniors who don't want their high school careers to end. 

• 2 weeks later...

Today was the semi finals of the state playoffs. We just couldn't get enough birdies and we felt like we were losing ground but the 74 has us only a stroke back from advancing to the finals. It's a bit chaotic. The top three teams and the top three individuals not on advancing teams earn a tee time at state. So scoreboard watching is a bit of a challenge.

We're going to work our gameplay on the front nine and see how we stand. We're paired with three good players so it will be fun golf to watch. 

• 4 weeks later...

What a day of golf.

One of my current players was in the first round of the state finals. Struggled a lot but gained a ton of experience. Highlight was holing out an eagle shot from 125 yards. 

A former player won a sudden death playoff to advance with her partner to the match play portion of the USGA Women's Four Ball. Another shot -2 in the NCAA D1 Regionals with his team now in first place with a great chance of advancing.

Live scoring is my favorite bit of technology. I can keep up with them all.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...