2020 Hall of Fame Voting

flavum

Nice.  This means we are through winter meetings and holiday period and onto that last tough stretch in January and the first couple weeks of February before we get the "best shape of his life" fluff and some velocity reports from Glendale.

A guy like Kong gets a friends and family vote but a guy like Lou Whitaker is still out.  Stupid.

All things considered, Minnie Minoso is still the best Player not in the hall. Lost 4-5 seasons due to social conditions beyond his control.

Santo got in because he flamed out due to juvenile diabetes. Also beyond his control. I think Reinsdorf got the wrong guy in the hall. Baines 

was a helluva player, but Minnie ran circles around him.

Going to be close for Walker in his last year on the ballot. Voters are being petty with Schilling. 

Not that anyone asked, but my ballot would be:

No brainer check marks: Barry Bonds. Roger Clemens, Derek Jeter, Curt Schilling

Because more than half the writers want him in, and I'm not a jerk: Larry Walker

Suspended after the Mitchell Report but he was awesome: Manny Ramirez

Harder picks, but I'm putting them: Scott Rolen. Jeff Kent, Todd Helton, Andruw Jones

Walker basically needs 70% of the unknown votes. Hopefully most of the voters use their noggins and realize he's either getting in now or years down the road by a committee. My hope is for now and not years from now. Stop putting old men (or dead men) in the Hall. 

Edited by flavum

5 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Most overrated player in my entire lifetime.

I've heard all the arguments, and some are valid, but he still had 3400+ hits, and that gets you into The Hall, end of story.

14 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I've heard all the arguments, and some are valid, but he still had 3400+ hits, and that gets you into The Hall, end of story.

I agree he eventually should get into the hall. But he was NOT a first ballot hall of famer on his play alone, let alone 90%+ imo.

Edited by cjgalloway

6 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

I agree he eventually should get into the hall. But he was NOT a first ballot hall of famer let alone 90%+ imo.

So you're saying all of the writers should get together and decide which ones won't vote for him so he stays under 75% in the first year. Got it. 

Jeter is a no-brainer Hall of Famer. If you want to say he's a Robin Yount or Paul Molitor level player, ok. I agree, he's not Ruth, Aaron, Mays, but let's stop criticizing no-doubt 1% of all-time players. It's just stupid to do that, 

Edited by flavum
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, flavum said:

So you're saying all of the writers should get together and decide which ones won't vote for him so he stays under 75% in the first year. Got it. 

Jeter is a no-brainer Hall of Famer. If you want to say he's a Robin Yount or Paul Molitor level player, ok. I agree, he's not Ruth, Aaron, Mays, but let's stop criticizing no-doubt 1% of all-time players. It's just stupid to do that, 

But he is and always has been treated like he's Ruth, Aaron, Mays, etc.  He's been treated like he's an all time great because he's a lifetime Yankee.  

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

How is Vizquel not a HOF'r? He's one of the very best defensive players of all time at a premium position. 

He’ll get in eventually. The OPS+ is low, and I think even the defensive metrics aren’t as kind as they should be, but he’s in that Ozzie Smith/Luis Aparicio category. If you’re a small Hall person, he’s probably short of the Hall, but with the committees putting in a lot more players recently, the top 1% is moving to the top 1.5-2%, and that’s probably where Vizquel is.

17 minutes ago, flavum said:

He’ll get in eventually. The OPS+ is low, and I think even the defensive metrics aren’t as kind as they should be, but he’s in that Ozzie Smith/Luis Aparicio category. If you’re a small Hall person, he’s probably short of the Hall, but with the committees putting in a lot more players recently, the top 1% is moving to the top 1.5-2%, and that’s probably where Vizquel is.

When the hall is full of great hitters who were poor defenders, it doesn't seem right to not include all time elite defenders who were adequate hitters. If the metrics say he wasn't an all time defender, they're stupid metrics. He was obviously incredible. 

28 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

How is Vizquel not a HOF'r? He's one of the very best defensive players of all time at a premium position. 

I agree with this as well. Vizquel and Andruw Jones were the two who just looked way low to me.  Omar, one of the greatest defensive SS of all time (if not the greatest) and Andruw, a two way talent with 400+ HR's who was the best/one of the best at his respective position for a good part of his career.  

It's going to take a Veterans' Committee for Schilling, just because of the current political polarization and the punishment for borrowing money from local governments to found that video game start-up that went Chapter 13...which also left a bad taste in the mouths of many New Englanders.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It's going to take a Veterans' Committee for Schilling, just because of the current political polarization and the punishment for borrowing money from local governments to found that video game start-up that went Chapter 13...which also left a bad taste in the mouths of many New Englanders.

This is year 8 on the ballot for Schilling. Maybe there are enough voters who are just waiting until year 10. It’s petty, but I could see that happening as well. 

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I really dont think Schilling deserves it. Vizquel should be.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I really dont think Schilling deserves it. Vizquel should be.

Schilling accumulated 79 WAR over his career.  Borderline guys are around 66.  He is a no doubter but unfortunately he hurt the poor baseball writers feefees with his politics, which have nothing to do with Baseball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2020 at 6:58 PM, zisk said:

All things considered, Minnie Minoso is still the best Player not in the hall. Lost 4-5 seasons due to social conditions beyond his control.

Santo got in because he flamed out due to juvenile diabetes. Also beyond his control. I think Reinsdorf got the wrong guy in the hall. Baines 

was a helluva player, but Minnie ran circles around him.

Minnie wasn't on the list that Harold was on. 

On 1/9/2020 at 10:17 AM, cjgalloway said:

But he is and always has been treated like he's Ruth, Aaron, Mays, etc.  He's been treated like he's an all time great because he's a lifetime Yankee.  

And he was also %#$%@# GOOD.

Edited by ewokpelts