Sox may have interest in Maybin, per fake Cishek

soxfan49

7 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

LOL!!!  That Gore at bat for the Cubs could quite possibly be the worst at bat I have ever seen in my life.  Which game was that?  I need to find a video of that epic failure.

I remember that at bat.............it was laughable and i enjoyed it because it was the Cubs

27 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Maybin may not be good platoon partner for Mazara, but he would be a direct full-time upgrade...

That is the likely reason for considering Maybin. Engel is a better role player but he would be unacceptable  as a full time outfielder if Robert, Mazara or Eloy had to go on the DL for an extended time.   So , yes to Maybin if they can get him.  There may not be enough room on the roster for Engel if the Sox sign Maybin and start the season with Mendick at second. Engel is borderline major league material so this should not be a major issue if it comes to that.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Do we have enough room on the bench for:

Maybin

Leury

Engel

Mendick

I'd be shocked if Mendick stays on the MLB roster once Madrigal arrives.  In fact, I'd be a little surprised if he even makes the OD roster as I think they'll add a IF on a 1 year deal.  But no, the Sox aren't going to have a 5 man bench.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I was on break and therefore on Twitter a lot the day Cishek tweeted the Robert deal was close, and I promise you nobody with any status was talking about the deal that day. The tweet was out of left field. It was the following morning that people started talking about it due to Arenado trade rumors.

And people choose to ignore the Harris thing because that’s not what he said. I don’t have sources myself but I regularly talk to people who you all know and trust, and I’ve heard Maybin as a target multiple times this winter. I agree with your take on fake insiders but this account doesn’t fit that mold, IMO

Fair enough, I'll defer to your thoughts here.

• Like 2

To be fair if one of our starting 3 OF went down.. Engel wouldn't be the replacement, Leury would be.  Engel would then become a partial Mazara platoon.  I still think if we had Maybin and someone got hurt Leury still becomes the starter (at least i'd hope).. So I just don't see the fit, unless super cheap.

• Like 1

Maybin has a World Series Ring which is important. Maybin is a decent hitter. Maybin will be 33 in April.

Engel is a better fielder and really good late inning replacement in the field. Engel's hitting up to this point is way below average. Engel just turned 28 years old.

I'd keep Engel. His hustle and defense are more of what we need and he is younger than Maybin.  The video of Maybin watching a HR that fell short instead of hustling around the bases makes me want the guy that hustles every play, like Aaron Rowand, and that is Engel.

Edited by Chisox378
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

To be fair if one of our starting 3 OF went down.. Engel wouldn't be the replacement, Leury would be.  Engel would then become a partial Mazara platoon.  I still think if we had Maybin and someone got hurt Leury still becomes the starter (at least i'd hope).. So I just don't see the fit, unless super cheap.

Last year with the Yankees he made a little more than half a million and adj. salary of under half a million.

He had a good year in a part time roll and will be 33 in April. Engel roughly made the same as Cameron last year. Engel won't get a noticeable increase for 2020.

So the question is how much more will Cameron make this year being a year older with a better season under his belt but in a limited roll. I don't think $1M for 2020 is out of the question and you'd have to consider that super cheap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

If you went with a 7-man pen or you remove Mendick and Leury is primary IF backup.

But Sox had an 8 man pen for most (all?) of the last couple seasons with a 25 man roster.  They're not going to go down to 7 with the extra roster spot. 

1 hour ago, tray said:

That is the likely reason for considering Maybin. Engel is a better role player but he would be unacceptable  as a full time outfielder if Robert, Mazara or Eloy had to go on the DL for an extended time.   So , yes to Maybin if they can get him.  There may not be enough room on the roster for Engel if the Sox sign Maybin and start the season with Mendick at second. Engel is borderline major league material so this should not be a major issue if it comes to that.

This is a good way of summing it up. Engel > Maybin if the role is simply being a late inning defense and running guy. But Maybin > Engel when one of the starting OFs gets hurt and misses 3 weeks, and it’s quite likely that such a scenario occurs next year. So a cheap one year investment in Maybin would be wise IMO

• Like 3

4 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

The guy has sources.

He said the Sox main RP targets were Harris and Cishek, and Diaz via trade. After Harris was signed he predicted Cishek to Sox and he was sign a couple days after. While they may have been an easy guess, he also called the Robert extension being very close right before the signing announced. The most telling of all was when he called the Mazara trade 20 minutes before announced when no one else had sources.

It’s really not that crazy to think someone have sources connected to the org and are trying to make a name for themselves on Twitter.

I mean, if he were trying to make a name for himself, you'd think he'd be using his name.