**Water-Cooler Thread (TV stuff)**

Brian

• 2 months later...

Lovecraft Country is starting on HBO next week.  I'm intrigued.  I read the book and liked it, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the interpretation.  Early reviews are pretty favorable, so that's encouraging.

Otherwise, I did a deep search for streaming shows to watch since many shows normally released in the fall will be delayed.  Just finished Home Before Dark on Apple+.  It was enjoyable, if not particularly deep.  Probably going to check out the second season of Homecoming next.

On 3/30/2020 at 9:03 PM, mqr said:

The Wire has become escapism in that I can watch it and be reminded of normal non-existential government cheesedickery. 

We got HBOmax a bit ago and finally started this.  just got into the 2nd season, and pretty good so far.

Before that we hit Westworld.  Loved the first two seasons, and liked the 3rd season, but really didn't like how the made the transition from the 2nd to the 3rd season.  It was almost like an entirely new show, which took some getting used to.  It wasn't that the 3rd season wasn't good, it was just completely different from the original 2 seasons and didn't really put together a transition from one world to the next.

Lovecraft Country on HBO is batshit crazy, and that's a compliment.  The first episode follows the book pretty well, and the monsters are very well done.  There are moments that are tough to watch, when the show gets serious about the racism of the '50s.  What's really scary is that we're seeing some of these things happening now.

15 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Lovecraft Country on HBO is batshit crazy, and that's a compliment.  The first episode follows the book pretty well, and the monsters are very well done.  There are moments that are tough to watch, when the show gets serious about the racism of the '50s.  What's really scary is that we're seeing some of these things happening now.

Was pretty slow for first half hour for me but definitely got good. I'll stick with it.

40 minutes ago, Brian said:

Was pretty slow for first half hour for me but definitely got good. I'll stick with it.

It was a bit slow, but it was good for character introduction.  The appearance of the monsters after 50 minutes was like when From Dusk Till Dawn became a gory vampire movie all of the sudden.

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

It was a bit slow, but it was good for character introduction.  The appearance of the monsters after 50 minutes was like when From Dusk Till Dawn became a gory vampire movie all of the sudden.

Good comparison with FDTD. 

Has Jurnee Mollett always been kinda hot? Never really stood out before. 😂

• 4 weeks later...

Finished The Wire the other day for the first time.  I get why people loved it, and I think I would have liked it a lot more 15 years ago when it came out.  As it stands it isn't an all time favorite for me, like some, but I did like it a lot.  Great characters most of all.  You find yourself rooting for guys like Omar, while hating some of the main characters.  i think my biggest problems were how unbelievable some of the situations were, such as New Hamsterdam and McNaulty's whole serial killer thing, and how long they went on and nothing really happened for such a long period of time.  The first few seasons were definitely the best, though one of the great jobs they did was portraying the complete lack of a future the really young kids had for themselves, and their parents being the direct cause of it because their lives sucked.  The acting and characters were awesome.  It was one of the best casts around. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Finished The Wire the other day for the first time.  I get why people loved it, and I think I would have liked it a lot more 15 years ago when it came out.  As it stands it isn't an all time favorite for me, like some, but I did like it a lot.  Great characters most of all.  You find yourself rooting for guys like Omar, while hating some of the main characters.  i think my biggest problems were how unbelievable some of the situations were, such as New Hamsterdam and McNaulty's whole serial killer thing, and how long they went on and nothing really happened for such a long period of time.  The first few seasons were definitely the best, though one of the great jobs they did was portraying the complete lack of a future the really young kids had for themselves, and their parents being the direct cause of it because their lives sucked.  The acting and characters were awesome.  It was one of the best casts around. 

I watched the Wire about 5 years ago and thought it was good.  I wish I watched it in real time as I think when you binge something it takes away from it.  I watched it over like a month and at the end it all seemed to blend together.

• 10 months later...

Finally rolled through Schitts Creek.  What a great show.  I think the best compliment I can pay it, is that it didn't feel like a show I had already seen before.  Completely new and unique, and didn't insult your intelligence to get comedic laughs.  Very highly recommended.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

Started watching Killing Eve....almost through 2 seasons and I like it but it still feels like it should be better

S1 is fantastic. The other 2 are meh. It's smart that s4 will be the last. I love it, but how long can you drag this plot out?

We've been plowing through some 30 minute comedy/drama series lately.

Ted Lasso on Apple+ is great.  It's a feel-good sports comedy that sprinkles in some drama and plenty of foul language (which makes it more realistic).  Season 2 starts tomorrow.

Also on Apple+ is Trying, a British dramedy about a couple trying to adopt.  It does a good job being a comedy while exploring the difficulties of adopting even while there are plenty of kids in the system.

Crashing on Netflix is a fast-paced British comedy that fans of Fleabag would like.  Phoebe Waller-Bridge created a frustratingly annoying but likeable character for herself.  The show is probably not for everyone, but we really enjoyed it.

And (not meaningfully advertising Apple+) Mythic Quest is one of the best comedies of late.  It's essentially a workplace comedy that takes place at a video game developer.  Great characters and plenty of laugh out loud moments.  And seeing F. Murray Abraham play a drunk, politically incorrect, washed-up sci-fi writer is just fantastic.

Anyone else watching Masters of the Universe: Revelation on Netflix? It got great reviews from the critics but the actual fans seem to hate it.

I've only watched the first 3 episodes but I'm enjoying it so far. I like the fact that they are aware how campy the original was but still give little call-outs to it. 

2 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

Anyone else watching Masters of the Universe: Revelation on Netflix? It got great reviews from the critics but the actual fans seem to hate it.

I've only watched the first 3 episodes but I'm enjoying it so far. I like the fact that they are aware how campy the original was but still give little call-outs to it. 

I really liked it, my 6-8 year old self went nuts.  They took a lot of risks with some of things they did 

too bad incel nerds are review bombing it because Teela got most of the face time

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...