**Water-Cooler Thread (TV stuff)**

Brian

11 minutes ago, Brian said:

I tried Succession but it was pretty boring to me.

My wife did not think she would like Yellowstone but we both really did.  You have any other suggestions, Brian?

Edited by wegner
royal we

On 11/3/2021 at 11:38 AM, Chisoxfn said:

How did I never watch the Wire 15 years ago. Been watching it for the last 1-2 months and am finally on the last season.  That show is absolutely special.  If someone is like me and still hasn't seen it -> HIGHLY recommend it.  

I have been told many times by my sister that it is a great show....however I remember years ago that she also told me I would love Damages and I most decidedly did not * so I don't trust her anymore in that arena...I'm ridiculously stubborn that way.

*I do love Rose Byrne though.

12 minutes ago, wegner said:

I have been told many times by my sister that it is a great show....however I remember years ago that she also told me I would love Damages and I most decidedly did not * so I don't trust her anymore in that arena...I'm ridiculously stubborn that way.

I watched the Wire for the 1st time about a year ago, and it really is that good. It's a bit outdated today, but the characters are as good as it gets.

17 hours ago, wegner said:

So ignore your sister - and if you don't like it - blame her. If you do like it, don't give her the credit...say you got the advice from someone on a Sox message board you frequent ;)

But seriously - I don't just throw recommendations like this out - WIRE is must watch.  I'd say the final season has been less interesting, but first few seasons are outstanding and if you invest 2 episodes in it and don't like it give up...not something that you have to wait for pay off. I Feel like the hook is early on this show and the rewards just keep coming.  

17 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I watched the Wire for the 1st time about a year ago, and it really is that good. It's a bit outdated today, but the characters are as good as it gets.

It is less about what was on tv - but more of just how different views of language, etc were < 20 years ago.  I also think some of the references to Enron and random current events from the past has this interesting component where it isn't just a good show...it also brings back the, oh yeah I remember when that scandal, etc was going on.  

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

So ignore your sister - and if you don't like it - blame her. If you do like it, don't give her the credit...say you got the advice from someone on a Sox message board you frequent ;)

But seriously - I don't just throw recommendations like this out - WIRE is must watch.  I'd say the final season has been less interesting, but first few seasons are outstanding and if you invest 2 episodes in it and don't like it give up...not something that you have to wait for pay off. I Feel like the hook is early on this show and the rewards just keep coming.  

Sound advice....Succession first and then The Wire with a weekly dose of Yellowstone thrown in seems like a good plan.  And you get all the credit if The Wire is outstanding :cool:

On 11/11/2021 at 1:41 PM, Brian said:

Great first hour of “Yellowstone”. 
2nd hour was good but not sure what’s up with the kid. Brought in since Beth can’t have her own child?

My wife didn't like the whole "Beth playing homemaker thing they have going."

For me, I loved Rip's line (which is exactly what I was thinking)....."Why didn't you use the Tuna helper?"

16 hours ago, wegner said:

My wife didn't like the whole "Beth playing homemaker thing they have going."

For me, I loved Rip's line (which is exactly what I was thinking)....."Why didn't you use the Tuna helper?"

Beth didn’t have anywhere to go after her office blew up. She’s coming for Jamie though.

On 11/19/2021 at 8:06 PM, Marqhead said:

Wheel of Time!

Watched the first two episodes and really enjoyed them.  I have not read the books, but I've read complaints from those who have about some changes.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Watched the first two episodes and really enjoyed them.  I have not read the books, but I've read complaints from those who have about some changes.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

I'm on book 11 of 14. There's zero way they can put everything from the books into the show (quite frankly his writing style is a big part of this). The 6 episodes this season are covering 1 book, and it could easily be a 12 episode season. So far, I think the show has done a good job of in its portrayal of the story, of course there's going to be things here and there but I've enjoyed it so far. It's darker and grittier vs. the campy nature of the books. I do wish they would have spent more than 1 episode with set up and getting them out of Two Rivers, felt a little rushed.

From what I saw it was being panned by critics but most fans seemed to be happy? Definitely wont satisfy the hardcore fans I'm sure. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Beatles get back series is must see TV for fans.  

Almost thru the first episode, but you instantly pick up how crazy their creative process was, and their personalities.

It is instantlt striking with how different Paul and John were, yet I think that pulled something out of each of them they never would have gotten without the other

1 hour ago, Spumoni said:

In terms of older dramas that I picked up recently The Shield is incredible.  Really great example of a show that just keeps picking up and getting better.

I binged over the summer. The series finale is incredible. Great series.

Anyone watching Yellowjackets on Showtime? I dig it so far