**Water-Cooler Thread (TV stuff)**

Brian

21 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Pedro Pascal is an amazing actor.  I still see him as the Narcos role as that was a great show and for some reason view him in that role in the End of Us.

He’s tremendous. And mando - although that is obviously more voice etc. 

24 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Pedro Pascal is an amazing actor.  I still see him as the Narcos role as that was a great show and for some reason view him in that role in the End of Us.

My kids are bugging me to watch this, and knowing he is in it seals it for me.  He is spectacular.

I can honestly say I wasn't sure about the actress playing Eliie but she's really grown on me after watching the first four episodes. The part about her not getting a gun and just throwing her sandwich at them cracked me up.

I think that may be a line from the game as well but it's been so long since I played it I've forgotten most of it.

Edited by Iwritecode

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been watching the show The Ark the past month or so. It's basically the plot of the movie Passengers except it's like 100 people instead of just 2.

It's set in some sort of apocalyptical future where the earth became uninhabitable and they had to build a bunch of spaceships to send humans to some distant planet.

They were supposed to remain in cryogenic sleep but something hit the ship, damaged a large portion of it and woke everyone up prematurely. Also it killed like half the people on board including most of the higher ranking people who actually knew how to run the ship. 

So far the special effects haven't been too bad. At least for a TV show. They don't really have any "futuristic" technology except for the ship itself which can apparently travel at near light speed.

I was worried that it would be a bit Star Trek-ish but it's really not.

Edited by Iwritecode
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2023 at 5:04 PM, fathom said:

Don’t think I’ve ever been more shocked at what happens on a tv show.  Don’t want to post any spoilers, but if you know, you know.

My kids said the same thing but I was of the mindset, that was how the series started so it didn't hit properly to me.....if we are thinking of the same show.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Since all is quiet on the hot stove, I figured I'd talk about some TV shows.

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on Apple+ is a lot of fun.  More character-driven than the movies, but each episode has a monster or two showing up.  And the production is superb; much more like a big budget movie than a show.

A Murder At The End of The World on Hulu is a very good mystery.  The pace is relatively slow, but the building of the mystery and character development are great.

The new season of Fargo on FX is good so far.  The reviews and write-ups on it say it's a return to form, and I'd agree it's more like the movie and first season.  Good story-telling with quirky characters.

The Fall of The House of Usher on Netflix was another winner form Mike Flanagan.  More a drama with a bit of supernatural than his other shows, it was filled with outstanding performances (especially from Bruce Greenwood).  Think Succession with a ghost or two.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on Apple+ is a lot of fun.  More character-driven than the movies, but each episode has a monster or two showing up.  And the production is superb; much more like a big budget movie than a show.

A Murder At The End of The World on Hulu is a very good mystery.  The pace is relatively slow, but the building of the mystery and character development are great.

The new season of Fargo on FX is good so far.  The reviews and write-ups on it say it's a return to form, and I'd agree it's more like the movie and first season.  Good story-telling with quirky characters.

The Fall of The House of Usher on Netflix was another winner form Mike Flanagan.  More a drama with a bit of supernatural than his other shows, it was filled with outstanding performances (especially from Bruce Greenwood).  Think Succession with a ghost or two.

Only one I have never watched is Fargo but I think it's on the list.

I also watched Gen V which didn't end not too long ago and a spin-off of The Boys.

33 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

They certainly didn’t skimp on the money for Monarch, it truly looks like the same effects from the movies 

• 1 month later...

Cut the cord earlier in the year and got 3 months of AppleTV for free. I kept seeing Slow Horses on lists of the best shows so we finally gave it a shot and watched all 3 seasons. It really is a great show. Gary Oldman is just outstanding in the lead...although he usually is so no surprise there. Top Notch stuff...I will definitely pay to get AppleTV back when Season 4 comes out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...