COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think this is the craziest single day since the 2008 financial crisis.

Except there was MUCH more compelling advance warning in this case...

If you go back and watch Inside Job, there were definitely a few prominent canaries in the coal mine in the banking, finance and regulatory fields in 2006-07...but this has been a blaring headline in the world media since the middle of January.

Assuming that closing off travel between the two countries would suffice to contain it...and now simply reacting, instead of taking a more serious/measure proactive response when we had 4-6 weeks to get out ahead of this, not much that can be done about it now.   Additionally, we probably don’t have too many NATO allies singing our praises tonight.  More like the Reverse or Anti-Marshall Plan.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Just heard from one of my former Chinese students at Duke that all international students are being allowed to remain in dorms/on campus for the immediately foreseeable future.

Hoping that all US schools will adopt similar policies... 

After a few days of refusal, my school (University of Chicago) is finally moving to online classes once our finals weeks (now and next week) are over, but no word on how they plan to do so without screwing over international students. Seems like every major college is beginning to do the same now. 

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

After a few days of refusal, my school (University of Chicago) is finally moving to online classes once our finals weeks (now and next week) are over, but no word on how they plan to do so without screwing over international students. Seems like every major college is beginning to do the same now. 

There is no earthly way Zoom can handle this bandwidth explosion.

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Our biggest problem is the large number of students who can’t return to Australia to start new school years after summer vacation.  Two week quarantines, but flights were shut down, so they have to fly to a third country...wait it out...then hope thst country doesn’t end up with restrictions.

We’re now five full weeks into online classes.  IELTS, SAT (Hong Kong) and TOEFL all cancelled since January.

IB, AP, A-Levels/CIE all have their yearly external exams starting the first week of May...and they’ll be lucky to have 3-4 weeks of real class time/revision, assuming we can get back in early April.   Many gap year or repeats possible.

40% of our teachers are still stuck or trapped in UK, Thailand, Vietnam, US...facing the likelihood of their own two week quarantines upon return to China.

Looks like flights into Wuhan could resume on March 28th/29th.  Public transportation and most workers back next Friday, the 20th.   They will have been working from home/online for almost 2 months.   I’m sure the government will have mandatory weekend makeup days for the rest of the year...shorter holidays...even though my wife has been averaging 10-12 hours per day, no weekends off, she even got a text message from her boss at 2 a.m. last night.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There is no earthly way Zoom can handle this bandwidth explosion.

I have 70-100 students in 4/5 classes per week and it has been getting increasingly worse...yesterday, the delays and echoes and getting logged off and then having to log back on.

Nearly all Grade 1 -  Graduate School has online classes right now in Wuhan.  Even elementary has two hours per day, with three hours of homework that has to be checked and returned to parents each afternoon/evening.  Imagine the joys of supervising those younger kids, working, and taking care of elderly parents/grandparents simultaneously.   Never seen millions of people so desperate to go “back to work,” lol. 

Fuck. 

Within the last couple hrs I developed a bit of a sore throat. 

I'm calling my GP in the morning, asking whether or not I should go to my podiatrist appt tomorrow. 

I feel fine otherwise, but still going to ask my GP whether or not I should go. 

I know that I've come into contact with a shit ton of people over the last week because of my job. I stopped doing it as of Monday, but I think my own underreaction may have bit me in the ass. Wish me luck. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

I have 70-100 students in 4/5 classes per week and it has been getting increasingly worse...yesterday, the delays and echoes and getting logged off and then having to log back on.

Nearly all Grade 1 -  Graduate School has online classes right now in Wuhan.  Even elementary has two hours per day, with three hours of homework that has to be checked and returned to parents each afternoon/evening.  Imagine the joys of supervising those younger kids, working, and taking care of elderly parents/grandparents simultaneously.   Never seen millions of people so desperate to go “back to work,” lol. 

My guess is that your performance might be a bit better if you didn't have to bang through the Chinese great firewall.   If anything that will get a nice stress test.  For Zoom If their front end is truly cloud native then they can scale laterally until the cows come home.  Business continuity is about to get a stress across all industries.  Most remote access  services are set for a subset of the actual population of the company due to historical numbers.  If its just licensing then that's easy.  Pay more and unlock more user licenses.  Now if they happened to have sized either physical equipment and say bandwidth on their circuits to a subset of their user population then this is about to get stressful for some people in corporate America. 

I just had a meeting with a customer that is running their egress internet traffic at about 85% normally.  We have been begging them to upgrade for years.  But why do that when you can push the equipment to the brink and survive.   Well we gave them a pretty sad state of what is about to happen when they point their large user population back inwards when they all work from home. Good luck, god speed to you.  

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Fuck. 

I'm calling my GP in the morning, asking whether or not I should go to my podiatrist appt tomorrow. 

I know that I've come into contact with a shit ton of people over the last week because of my job. I stopped doing it as of Monday, but I think my own underreaction may have bit me in the ass. Wish me luck. 

God speed

5 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

My guess is that your performance might be a bit better if you didn't have to bang through the Chinese great firewall.   If anything that will get a nice stress test.  For Zoom If their front end is truly cloud native then they can scale laterally until the cows come home.  Business continuity is about to get a stress across all industries.  Most remote access  services are set for a subset of the actual population of the company due to historical numbers.  If its just licensing then that's easy.  Pay more and unlock more user licenses.  Now if they happened to have sized either physical equipment and say bandwidth on their circuits to a subset of their user population then this is about to get stressful for some people in corporate America. 

I just had a meeting with a customer that is running their egress internet traffic at about 85% normally.  We have been begging them to upgrade for years.  But why do that when you can push the equipment to the brink and survive.   Well we gave them a pretty sad state of what is about to happen when they point their large user population back inwards when they all work from home. Good luck, god speed to you.  

We are using a platform called ClassIn...

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Fuck. 

I'll keep everyone posted about what my GP says tomorrow. 

Big thing is that over the last 2 weeks I have no idea how many or who I've come in contact with as a gig food delivery driver. Decided to stop working Friday because business took a crap, still went around places even today because I have seasonal allergies and everything would go away after being inside for a couple hrs. It's been warm enough to activate those things for me. Didn't get concerned until I got a sore throat tonight during the game. 

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I live with my parents who are both over 60 and I don't want anything to happen to them. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'll keep everyone posted about what my GP says tomorrow. 

Big thing is that over the last 2 weeks I have no idea how many or who I've come in contact with as a gig food delivery driver. Decided to stop working Friday because business took a crap, still went around places even today because I have seasonal allergies and everything would go away after being inside for a couple hrs. It's been warm enough to activate those things for me. Didn't get concerned until I got a sore throat tonight during the game. 

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I live with my parents who are both over 60 and I don't want anything to happen to them. 

If it makes you feel any better, I convinced myself I had a fever and was up all night sweating when my company told me to get ready to work from home. 

anxiety does weird things. 

35 minutes ago, mqr said:

If it makes you feel any better, I convinced myself I had a fever and was up all night sweating when my company told me to get ready to work from home. 

anxiety does weird things. 

Yeah, and I already know I have GAD so I'm probably overreacting. If it wasn't for my job and as many places as I've been over the last 2 weeks, I wouldn't be concerned. 

Like I said, I have a bad nail biting habit. I don't want to harm my parents. It's not about me. 

BTW, does me talking about shutting it down this weekend sound crazy now? 

Edit: just drank a bunch of water and my sore throat and headache are starting to go away. Sometimes I forget to drink enough fluids so it might just be dehydration. 

I'll still call my GP in the morning just to be safe. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Trump's big announcement for keeping the virus at bay -- what he said was a 30-day ban on travel to the US by Europeans and restrictions on cargo -- was immediately engulfed in confusion.

The President later rushed to clarify on Twitter that he was stopping travel and not trans-Atlantic trade in goods, and officials said his plan did not apply to Americans or US permanent residents -- though such travelers would face mandatory quarantines.

Trump also caused a muddle when he said he had convinced health insurance providers to waive all copayments for coronavirus treatments.

A White House official later said the President had meant to say that the copayments would be waived for coronavirus tests -- but would still apply to treatments for the disease.

cnn.com

28 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, and I already know i have GAD so I'm probably overreacting. If it wasn't for my job and as many places as I've been over the last 2 weeks, I wouldn't be concerned. 

Like I said, I have a bad nail biting habit. I don't want to harm my parents. It's not about me. 

BTW, does me talking about shutting it down this weekend sound crazy now? 

Edit: just drank a bunch of water and my sore throat and headache are starting to go away. Sometimes I forget to drink enough fluids so it might just be dehydration. 

I'll still call my GP in the morning just to be safe. 

The first symptom of this thing is a quick spike in temperature. Not likely you have it with a chief complaint being the sore throat. 

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

The first symptom of this thing is a quick spike in temperature. Not likely you have it with a chief complaint being the sore throat. 

Is it? The first thing I felt was hocking lougies. 

I feel fine otherwise. Have a bit of a frog in my throat, but that's common for me with my seasonal allergies. (so are the lougies)

Again, only concerned because of contact with rando people. Wouldn't be concerned at all if it wasn't for the lougies. I've heard that those can be as symptom of a URI. 

Second Edit: 

Decided against even calling the GP. Looked up the symptoms, I'm fine for now. Just my GAD talking. 

sorry for freaking anyone out. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Is it? The first thing I felt was hocking lougies. 

I feel fine otherwise. Have a bit of a frog in my throat, but that's common for me with my seasonal allergies. (so are the lougies)

Again, only concerned because of contact with rando people. Wouldn't be concerned at all if it wasn't for the lougies. I've heard that those can be as symptom of a URI. 

Second Edit: 

Decided against even calling the GP. Looked up the symptoms, I'm fine for now. Just my GAD talking. 

sorry for freaking anyone out. 

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/man-coronavirus-had-flu-aint-never-felt-bad-222431727.html

Seems like a pretty common frustrating experience....from comments on this particular story.

My 3 year old has had high fevers for 4 days now. We took him to the emergency room and they tested for all flu, and other common coronavirus strains. I took him back to his regular doctor yesterday and asked could he have the covid-19? The doctor said yes he could but they weren't going to test him. They said it's already in the community, it's too late. Now they only test the hospitalized to and only to determine a course of care. I said, but I'm a school teacher, what if I'm exposed and expose others? But they wouldn't budge, wouldn't test him. Meanwhile my little one is still really sick and we have no idea what's going on...

Edited by caulfield12