COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

19 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Bernstein is always a rough listen.  

Why? Because he handles idiots that call in well and completely picks apart their arguments? Bernstein is one of the only reasons I listen now since I actually feel smarter as a sports fan after hearing him talk, whereas the afternoon crew loses me when they talk about gambling.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

"The Other Side" doesn't control the levels of federal response and funding.  That is literally all that matters here.

Game, set and match. When it comes down to it, this is what is at stake, not getting down on your knees and showing our leader that you love him to get resources.

We also deserve more transparency from our government and not soundbites from his son in law that the leader gets upset about when reporters press him about. The standards of our presidency and decency have been lowered since 2016, why should anyone kiss his ring when those that try to hold him accountable get bullied?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mqr said:

Bernstein was wrestling back tears for a good fifteen minutes. 

There’s nothing wrong with what Bernstein said or did with all that went on after his show on Thursday. His show is operating on bare bones and his friend’s paychecks and talented former coworkers took a hit.

19 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Sports radio acting shocked and upset there are layoffs.  Can they explain to me any reason why I would want to listen to The Score right now?  There’s no freaking sports to discuss!!!  And I don’t listen to sports radio to hear those clowns discuss politics.  They are barely good at discussing sports.

The Bears press conference. Farmer’s death. The Bulls executive search. How sports seasons will look if things get going again. 

I can count on my hands how many times I have heard politics from 670 the Score the last few years, it isn’t often. DeCastro absolutely neutered that station and it is mostly sports talk. I would need to have specific examples to understand what you mean and not just general statements about how “liberal” the hosts are or examples from when Goff was on the air. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, black jack said:

This board has become unreadable. 

shame... 

Why? Because there’s actually some debate and some discussion that needs to be had? There’s a lot of good material here to read, I don’t know what makes it “unreadable.”

9 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

It sounds like you're completely for an open borders policy. Do you think we should give immigrants free healthcare as well?

What do you think about this legislation that Caufield just referenced? Is this enough of a compromise, with some technological security at the border?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Security,_Economic_Opportunity,_and_Immigration_Modernization_Act_of_2013

Justin Amash twitter, totally shocking with Mnuchin after what we witnessed from 2008-10, right?

It seems to have gone largely unnoticed that Mnuchin has unilaterally altered the Paycheck Protection Program to substantially reduce loan forgiveness. Law says a business can spend ~50% of the loan on nonpayroll and still receive full forgiveness; Mnuchin says not more than 25%.

To be clear, Mnuchin’s change doesn’t help employees. Law says total pay can’t be reduced by more than 25% of an employee’s full quarter salary or wages. He doesn’t touch this. Regardless, Mnuchin has no authority to change laws. Congress legislates; executive officials execute.

The math is a bit tricky, so I think that’s why many people are not immediately seeing what’s going on here. A covered loan is 2.5x average monthly payroll. The covered period is 8 weeks. Compare the law to Mnuchin.

1 hour ago, pcq said:

Columbia researchers suggest the virus has been dormant in humans possibly for years. Viral shedding by asymptomatic humans is widespread.  

The White House press conferences are insane and should not be broadcast live. At least one religious leader is suggesting Fauci is trying to undermine Trump. 

I agree that the press conferences should not be live events. Trump just looks totally inept and out of touch. He also attempts to use them for political gain, and no politician should profit from this crisis. But, in the end, the press conferences give little news. We would be better off with summaries.  I don't need to watch Trump bumble his way  through another lame public statement that serves no purpose.

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

The Bears press conference. Farmer’s death. The Bulls executive search. How sports seasons will look if things get going again. 

I can count on my hands how many times I have heard politics from 670 the Score the last few years, it isn’t often. DeCastro absolutely neutered that station and it is mostly sports talk. I would need to have specific examples to understand what you mean and not just general statements about how “liberal” the hosts are or examples from when Goff was on the air. 

Pace and the Bears suck.  The countdown has already begun on Pace’s NFL career.  The Bulls screw up every decision they make.  Farmer’s death?  How much can that be discussed?

Bernstein has sounded off on Trump numerous times in the past until I’m pretty sure The Score management told him to shut up about it.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

13 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

If a law is not just the people who break it should not be punished.

Immigration laws are unjust, they are no different than slavery, laws against interracial marriage, segregation and apartheid. They are born from the same beliefs.

The future will judge those who made them and supported them with the same disdain. We do not have a monopoly on freedom or opportunity.

This country is everyones, and the quicker we kill your ideas the faster we will recover. This whole us and them bullshit got us into this mess.

It is your opinion that the law is not just.  Meanwhile, your ridiculous ideas on immigration laws would turn this country into the shit-hole that is China.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Let’s face it, some don’t want any immigrants from poor countries, or from Islamic countries (even though Iranian-American incomes are in the top 25% on average.)   It’s the Trump vision here.  Beauty queens from Eastern Europe, Sweden, Finland, Norway and Denmark.  They’re okay (after all, he’s anchor immigrated two families, after all.)

This is how we get the current administration attempting to rewrite the Statue of Liberty quote about “give me your poor huddled masses.”  It’s kind of shocking that the New Testament hasn’t been modified to focus primarily on the prosperity Gospels.

One more thing, Moan...you certainly would have blocked one of the most important Founding Fathers, Alexander Hamilton, based on his upbringing as a poverty-stricken bastard on Nevis and St. Croix.   

Without Immigrants, the Fortune 500 Would Be the Fortune 284

More than 40 percent (43 percent) of today’s Fortune 500 had a first- or second-generation immigrant among their founders, even though just 14 percent of the U.S. population is foreign-born. Nearly a fifth (18.4 percent) of these companies were founded by first-generation immigrants, and another quarter (24.8 percent) were founded by their children. All told, these 216 immigrant-founded companies accounted for $5.3 trillion in global revenue in 2016 and employ more than 12 million workers worldwide. Immigrant-founded companies make up more than half of the Fortune 25 (52 percent) and Fortune 35 (57 percent).

Rather than preventing people from getting jobs and costing the government money, these immigrants have created an amount of wealth greater than the GDP of Japan, the world’s third-largest economy.  

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2017/12/without-immigrants-the-fortune-500-would-be-the-fortune-284/547421/

Edited by caulfield12

53 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

It is your opinion that the law is not just.  Meanwhile, your ridiculous ideas on immigration laws would turn this country into the shit-hole that is China.

Just to double back to you blaming corrupt businesses that knowingly employ undocumented workers, do you support them facing some sort of legal consequences?

Edited by Quin

38 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

And in John Calhoun's opinion slavery was good. One opinion will be right in the future, one will be wrong.

Your comparison to China makes no sense, US was built on immigration and has had its greatest economic success during times when it experienced high immigration. Immigration is the US greatest strength and what has allowed our country to rapidly outpace since its inception.

https://www.cato.org/research/immigration

Cato which was founded by the Koch brothers even recognizes the error in immigration policy. 

/shrug 

Restricting immigration is a failed economic policy and that is why Adam Smith argued against the restriction on movement of labor.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Quin said:

Just to double back to you blaming corrupt businesses that knowingly employ undocumented workers, do you support them facing some sort of legal consequences?

Knaves like Moan seem to be unaware that every culture needs labor to survive. Mexicans would not be here if there wasn't hard work that needs to get done. This is about business not politics. It doesn't matter whether we like it or not. 

3 hours ago, The Beast said:

Why? Because there’s actually some debate and some discussion that needs to be had? There’s a lot of good material here to read, I don’t know what makes it “unreadable.”

N/T

Edited by black jack
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NWINFan said:

I agree that the press conferences should not be live events. Trump just looks totally inept and out of touch. He also attempts to use them for political gain, and no politician should profit from this crisis. But, in the end, the press conferences give little news. We would be better off with summaries.  I don't need to watch Trump bumble his way  through another lame public statement that serves no purpose.

He sounds like a dope. Providing summaries of what he “meant” is dishonest. The voting people need to see just how inept he is.

3 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Pace and the Bears suck.  The countdown has already begun on Pace’s NFL career.  The Bulls screw up every decision they make.  Farmer’s death?  How much can that be discussed?

Bernstein has sounded off on Trump numerous times in the past until I’m pretty sure The Score management told him to shut up about it.

You said there were no freaking sports to discuss. That’s just not true. Live action sure, but there’s still news to discuss. I was giving you examples of what they discussed is all.

I listened to the Bernstein and McKnight show for a while and did not hear anything about Trump, I heard more during the Bernstein and Goff show, which ended in early 2018.

7 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

So, the federal government is giving the PPE and ventilators to the private sector to resell to the states, who are fighting against each other for the supplies?  Do I have that right?

Yes. Truly infuriating.

• Like 2

(Keep thinking: I’ve a Masters in Public Health; wrote my doctoral dissertation on global efforts to tackle AIDS pandemic; co-authored a book on global health governance; teach MPH courses on health systems & global health & I’m not qualified to lead a national #covid19 effort.)

Edited by caulfield12

S-hole Chinese.....

Joe Tsai, the billionaire co-founder of Chinese technology and e-commerce company Alibaba, and his wife Clara Wu Tsai have donated 2.6 million masks (both surgical and KN95), 170,000 goggles and 2,000 ventilators to New York. 

The donations came in two separate shipments: The first arrived at Newark International Airport on April 2 and has already been distributed.

The second shipment, which New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo referenced at his most recent press conference, arrived at John F. Kennedy International Airport on Saturday.

The Tsais have considerable ties to the New York City-metropolitan community. Joe Tsai owns the Brooklyn Nets basketball team and Barclays Center Arena in Brooklyn.

“We kept hearing cries for PPE from our community and wanted to help,” said Clara, who said New York state authorities will allocate the second shipment, but “it’s our intention to help the most under-served institutions.”

Clara cited Jacobi Medical Center and Lincoln Medical Center in the Bronx and Elmhurst Hospital in Queens as the institutions she and her husband thought might need the supplies the most. 

The 2,000 ventilators that were donated are noninvasive, so they are not the type that can be used on patients who are unconscious.  

www.cnn.com