COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

On 1/30/2021 at 10:38 PM, caulfield12 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/dodger-stadium-covid-19-vaccinations-shut-down-protesters-012430216.html

Among the protesters were members of anti-vaccine and far-right groups, per the Times, with signs urging people to not get the vaccine. The group reportedly went out of their way to avoid political apparel:

A post on social media described the demonstration as the “SCAMDEMIC PROTEST/MARCH.” It advised participants to “please refrain from wearing Trump/MAGA attire as we want our statement to resonate with the sheeple. No flags but informational signs only.

“This is a sharing information protest and march against everything COVID, Vaccine, PCR Tests, Lockdowns, Masks, Fauci, Gates, Newsom, China, digital tracking, etc.”

One of the protesters apparently livestreamed the incident, which can be seen here. One witness told the Times that the protesters were baselessly telling people in line that the the coronavirus is not real and the vaccine is dangerous.

Morons. 

So far in my research on how people are selfish and parents suck.  This is our local school district.  

Parents who test positive for Covid or their kids test positive.  They don't tell the school district of this because it's not their right to know.  Then of course they try to get the kids in school asap.  The county due to contract tracing, however, calls the school district which foils their plans.

When kids have one or more symptoms.  Mommy consults either Dr. Mommy's knowledge, old wives' tales of how people get sick, or relatives to determine that they don't have Covid.  It's something they ate that is making the kid vomit and have explosive diarrhea.  They get mad if their kids are required to get a covid test.  Because Dr. Mommy knows her kid and by looking at the kid, they don't have Covid.  They would know.  They are the parents after all.

If Junior has a fever that might get detected by a temp check, we dose the kid with acetaminophen to lower the fever.  

Kids tell their teacher that they have been sick all weekend and vomiting and headaches.  When the parents are called the parents call it a witch hunt. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

So far in my research on how people are selfish and parents suck.  This is our local school district.  

Parents who test positive for Covid or their kids test positive.  They don't tell the school district of this because it's not their right to know.  Then of course they try to get the kids in school asap.  The county due to contract tracing, however, calls the school district which foils their plans.

When kids have one or more symptoms.  Mommy consults either Dr. Mommy's knowledge, old wives' tales of how people get sick, or relatives to determine that they don't have Covid.  It's something they ate that is making the kid vomit and have explosive diarrhea.  They get mad if their kids are required to get a covid test.  Because Dr. Mommy knows her kid and by looking at the kid, they don't have Covid.  They would know.  They are the parents after all.

If Junior has a fever that might get detected by a temp check, we dose the kid with acetaminophen to lower the fever.  

Kids tell their teacher that they have been sick all weekend and vomiting and headaches.  When the parents are called the parents call it a witch hunt. 

Yeah, there is zero consideration of anyone other than themselves for a LOT of parents.  They don't care about infection spread and the danger it could post to teachers, staff, bus drivers etc.  Our school system didn't shutdown because of kids, they shut down because they ran out of healthy teachers due to them getting infected.  But this has always been the case.  Take a couple of Tylenol right before they get on the bus to hold the fever down as long as possible to get them through school, is a big time strategy in this crowd.

• Like 3

Our  superintendent sent a letter two weeks ago asking parents to please keep their kids home if they can be successful virtually. We had a 21% drop in in person attendance the next day. 

I'm down to two students attending my classes. 

But still we have situations like SS2k5 mentioned.  

I'm having surgery this Thursday so took my first COVID test this morning completly    painless and barely invasive, hell I've dug deeper for boogers :) Sorry so crude!

In reading this board I'm reminded of the vast political divide between the Metro area and the rest of Illinois. I live in rural Northwest area of the state where its mostly conservative in stark contrast of the liberal area of the city. Its always interesting to get a 2nd view...

3 hours ago, The Grinder said:

I'm having surgery this Thursday so took my first COVID test this morning completly    painless and barely invasive, hell I've dug deeper for boogers :) Sorry so crude!

In reading this board I'm reminded of the vast political divide between the Metro area and the rest of Illinois. I live in rural Northwest area of the state where its mostly conservative in stark contrast of the liberal area of the city. Its always interesting to get a 2nd view...

By Savanna?  Prophetstown?

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Same here in Texas. I leave the cities and WOW, 

2 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Russia's Sputnik-V adenovirus vaccine posted solid phase 3 efficacy data as well.

I'm not saying it was easy, but the ability to genetically map the virus made creating a vaccine a new ball game. Wonder what humankind would look like or if it would even exist without the near-extinction events which influenced our evolution?  Sorry I got so deep, I know it's a sports fan site. 😄

The thing different is the delivery here.  So during the H1N1 epidemic, I remember being at the Downers South GYM in a large swath of people waiting in a line for hours to get my inoculation. That was run by Dupage County.  Now for whatever reason, we are punting this to the local Drs and the pharmacies.  I was expecting a similar event where we would have stadiums and large facilities to get people mass vaccinated.  

Edited by southsideirish71

22 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

The thing different is the delivery here.  So during the H1N1 epidemic, I remember being at the Downers South GYM in a large swath of people waiting in a line for hours to get my inoculation. That was run by Dupage County.  Now for whatever reason, we are punting this to the local Drs and the pharmacies.  I was expecting a similar event where we would have stadiums and large facilities to get people mass vaccinated.  

Maybe that will happen with more vaccines to distribute? Maybe they’ll use McCormick place too? Or is it going to pharmacies so that they get a piece of the action too?

18 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

We may still get there.  I'm not sure there is enough supply to do it yet.  Maybe once the J&J vaccine is approved there will be enough supply to set up sites.

Why is it that most people I know received the vaccine by waiting outside a vaccine location waiting for "leftovers"? This system is badly flawed. 

This is America. Why can't I buy my way to the front of the line?  

I read an article about a town in South Carolina that had extremely long wait times for the vaccine so the mayor called in the manager of the local Chic-Fil-A, and he was able to organize the check-in process and got wait times down to 15 minutes.  Governments should think like this and utilize people who know how logistics.  Imagine having an Amazon logistical manager running the vaccine roll out.  Or FedEx, UPs, etc. Or, hell, a Portillo's manager.

15 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I read an article about a town in South Carolina that had extremely long wait times for the vaccine so the mayor called in the manager of the local Chic-Fil-A, and he was able to organize the check-in process and got wait times down to 15 minutes.  Governments should think like this and utilize people who know how logistics.  Imagine having an Amazon logistical manager running the vaccine roll out.  Or FedEx, UPs, etc. Or, hell, a Portillo's manager.

Too busy making up and tweeting Sox rumors to do this.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

I think there may be some cases where this is true, but a lot of the issues are stemming from rationing a limited supply.

The private enterprise solution to this would be auctioning or price discrimination. That is not a solution here. Governments are having to deal with a perishable item by guessing efficiently getting the right amount of vaccine for their targeted populations. IL has mostly relied on appointments to make it easier. But they've had two issues - populations in the eligible group denying their right to vaccine, and people not showing up for appointments.

That's where you end up with the random people getting it in stores. They are trying to "be fair" and get it to the right groups first, but then sometimes those groups aren't there, and then the vaccine may be about to expire.

That's where in some places first come / first serve is better. There are long lines, but you are giving the available vaccine to those who show up. But it's not easy or convenient.

Or you allow people to ensure a spot around their schedule, but end up with daily waste where you aren't allowed to just give it out to the people in front of you.

The fairness is a big obstacle, but it's also what people expect of their government. A private corp could just prioritize large population centers in the beginning (it's easy), and move out. But that's not fair to rural areas. 

Interestingly, most anecdotal evidence I know of people in places like Adams county is there are plenty of appts every day, while there are non months out by us. 

Anyway that's why I hate the "so and so skipped the line!" stories. The end result would just be slowing things down more. 100% of the focus should just be on getting it all out quickly as possible and putting all pressure on production and distribution.

14 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Why not prioritize large urban areas first?  Rural areas do not seem to have the number of cases that urban cities have. 

South Dakota would be a counter. But also rural tends to skew older, which is at odds with the current tiers that are prioritizing (rightly) 65 y.o. plus because of the higher risk of hospitalization and death.

I'm not sure any of the considerations are wrong, but there are trade-offs. And I do feel 100% positive and confident that what vaccinations look like in April where it is in a phase 1c or phase 2 are going to be much more mass scale than today, where it is threading a needle on targeting.

• Thanks 1