COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Are we in a stage we can sort of "let our guard down?" Just asking because I have some travel opportunities and still am not crazy about getting on a plane or train or bus or stay in a hotel. I have not had the opportunity to be vaccinated yet.

I ask because at least around here the general consensus is people are going back to work in person, people are letting their guards down definitely. I know a lot of this has been political but where do you all see us in terms of safety/everyday life? I STILL don't want to get COVID. Thank u.

No Greg, always protect yourself.  Stay safe because you just don't know.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

No Greg, always protect yourself.  Stay safe because you just don't know.

I was thinking this is a time to always remind yourself to be selfish. Only you can save yourself from stuff like COVID. Not to be a cynic but again only you truly cares about you (others might to a certain extent of course).

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

I was thinking this is a time to always remind yourself to be selfish. Only you can save yourself from stuff like COVID. Not to be a cynic but again only you truly cares about you (others might to a certain extent of course).

The Olympics, to me, are a big testing opportunity this summer.

With 98-99% of the Chinese population not vaccinated (partly because nobody has had Covid in Wuhan for many many months, at least half a year), it's a conundrum because tourists will never voluntarily go through 10-14 day quarantines on both sides of a trip.

So the question becomes if international travelers HAVE to have a vaccine certificate, from which providers (will the Chinese ones be accepted in the EU or US, for example?)...or will it be enough just to take "instant" exam and, at worst, have a 24 hour quarantine that first night until coming up with a "clear" test.

Because we all know that if you have a test 2-4 days in advance (sometimes it's so hard to get an appointment the day before travel), they're also potentially missing X number of cases that later turn symptomatic.

It's kind of frustrating here, because 1) many people don't trust the Chinese vaccines, both here and abroad, say, the Philippines....but 2) there are no other choices but the Chinese vaccines, and those have only been administered to government officials, international business travelers, embassy/party officials, active duty military, etc.

No talk of doing any vaccinations for teachers...in no large part because it has been since April or May where there was a real concern about outbreaks, at least where I live (Beijing and Northeast China is a slightly different story over the last 4-6 months, there was certainly a lot of concern during Spring Festival/New Year's when hundreds of millions of people all travel over the span of 2-3 weeks.)

So sounds like this week gets a boost of 4 million J&J vaccines, then pretty much just moderna/pfizer next week, and then the last two weeks will get the majority of the promised 20 million.

I know 1C was slated for April 1st, seems like they can hit it earlier, that includes a big group of workers still forced to go in office/place of work (restaurant workers, construction, etc). I'd hope by end of this week they consider moving that target up since it seems like at-risk conditions becomes a bit of a free for all with places not wanting to deal with actually verifying the condition (for obvious reasons).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

So sounds like this week gets a boost of 4 million J&J vaccines, then pretty much just moderna/pfizer next week, and then the last two weeks will get the majority of the promised 20 million.

I know 1C was slated for April 1st, seems like they can hit it earlier, that includes a big group of workers still forced to go in office/place of work (restaurant workers, construction, etc). I'd hope by end of this week they consider moving that target up since it seems like at-risk conditions becomes a bit of a free for all with places not wanting to deal with actually verifying the condition (for obvious reasons).

Walgreens has a nice glitch right now.  They show you vaccine availability then don't allow you to get the first shot because the second one cant be scheduled.  It's frustrating. 

2 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Walgreens has a nice glitch right now.  They show you vaccine availability then don't allow you to get the first shot because the second one cant be scheduled.  It's frustrating. 

Hmm, have you tried calling? When my wife went in through walgreens they tried to schedule one for her, but she said she was able to schedule both online. Could be a disconnect in the store where they are expecting to do that and aren't properly opening up appts for 2nd appts.

23 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

does my active-but-out-of-state utility company badge qualify me for 1c

I mean if you are willing to do that, I'm sure you could just find that you suffer from high blood pressure.

Illinois' reported cases have stopped rising after plateauing last week, and they got 51k in on a sunday which to me more than anything means more is probably being done by state/public health places than relying on reporting from independent places.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Hmm, have you tried calling? When my wife went in through walgreens they tried to schedule one for her, but she said she was able to schedule both online. Could be a disconnect in the store where they are expecting to do that and aren't properly opening up appts for 2nd appts.

I just got off the phone with one of the stores.  They told me their website is completely out of touch with their actual supplies.  They are only getting 20-40 doses a day per store.  

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

I just got off the phone with one of the stores.  They told me their website is completely out of touch with their actual supplies.  They are only getting 20-40 doses a day per store.  

damn that sucks. Did they give you any tips for getting a spot?

Even though 20-40 doesn't sound like a lot, I guess that would be about 10 hrs of appts for a 40/day. It used to be Jewel where we were finding a bunch of appts, but it's definitely been walgreens recently so hopefully you can find a spot soon.

Going to get my first shot on Thursday morning. 

Excited and worried since my heart and its health are very poor, we shall see what happens.

I was skeptical of the vaccine because you know, the government and the history of black people and mass medicine in this country, but my grandparents who grew up not too far from Tuskegee decided to get the vaccine and got both their shots, so I'm doing the same.

• Like 2

So I am a smoker which is under 1B part II according to Illinois DPH guidelines. How do they even verify this? I'm relatively young (28) and started smoking a few years ago so have no doctor records or anything indicating smoker.

Will I just have to wait for Phase 2? I have no other conditions so I don't really mind but would be nice to get a little sooner...

just incredible year and work by University of IL, and their saliva test just got EUA. It's being rolled out across IL.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2021/03/01/university-of-illinois-covid-saliva-test-approved/

They've done an incredible job this year, and after initial rollout issue, were able to keep a low positivity rate even as things exploded in the fall and then post holiday.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SoxFan562004 said:

This is as low as I can remember the COVID ICU bed count, hoping this trend continues 

Screenshot_20210302-122842_Chrome.jpg

Cases may, and probably will go up, but I don't expect this to get out of hand again. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DoUEvenShift said:

So I am a smoker which is under 1B part II according to Illinois DPH guidelines. How do they even verify this? I'm relatively young (28) and started smoking a few years ago so have no doctor records or anything indicating smoker.

Will I just have to wait for Phase 2? I have no other conditions so I don't really mind but would be nice to get a little sooner...

Idk about Illinois, because this is the first i've heard about this, but I know in NJ it's pretty much just the honor system. 

Just now, mqr said:

Idk about Illinois, because this is the first i've heard about this, but I know in NJ it's pretty much just the honor system. 

same here, they aren't going to slow things down to verify.

If you feel like you are not at high risk and could wait, the second half of march is likely going to be way more available for appts. 

I got my vaccine apt with Jewel tomorrow.  Woot.  

So far Jewel is allowing you to select either the two-shot model or the J&J single shot. So Walgreens opens their APTs up in the morning it seems.  

Jewel just randomly drops there's.  I have been scouring the website trying every 5 minutes for a few days.  I finally got lucky.  

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

I got my vaccine apt with Jewel tomorrow.  Woot.  

So far Jewel is allowing you to select either the two-shot model or the J&J single shot. So Walgreens opens their APTs up in the morning it seems.  

Jewel just randomly drops there's.  I have been scouring the website trying every 5 minutes for a few days.  I finally got lucky.  

Ugh thank god. Yeah Jewel has the easiest site to just monitor but probably why it goes so quick. Glad you got one, assuming you did two-shot?