Sox Have Deal for Norge Vera - 2020 Class

DirtySox

Y'all can pay $2 to FutureSox for all the free content you get.

It's incredibly poor taste to ask the author to give you paid content for free. FutureSox isn't BA, BP, FanGraphs, or ESPN. It's posters here operating on a shoestring budget to bring you A+++ quality content specifically for the team you love.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Quin said:

It's incredibly poor taste to ask the author to give you paid content for free. FutureSox isn't BA, BP, FanGraphs, or ESPN. It's posters here operating on a shoestring budget to bring you A+++ quality content specifically for the team you love.

Nothing that's ever been free will cost anything now either. Patreon subscribers will receive extra stuff and extra perks throughout the season. 

• Thanks 1

So the Sox will be able to get Colas and this kid without going over the limit?  Is there someone out there next year worth the penalty for going over?  Good to see them spending the money regardless.  This pitcher looks like he might have a 1/4 shot to be a decent 3rd starter and if not looks like he projects as a decent middle reliever if his fastball plays up a bit out of the pen.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

So the Sox will be able to get Colas and this kid without going over the limit?  Is there someone out there next year worth the penalty for going over?  Good to see them spending the money regardless.  This pitcher looks like he might have a 1/4 shot to be a decent 3rd starter and if not looks like he projects as a decent middle reliever if his fastball plays up a bit out of the pen.

You can't go over the limit anymore. The international market is hard capped now. The Sox should have like $5.6-$5.8 million to spend. Vera is getting $1.5 million and 6 additional signings are getting like $1.8 million. That doesn't leave much for Colas. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

You can't go over the limit anymore. The international market is hard capped now. The Sox should have like $5.6-$5.8 million to spend. Vera is getting $1.5 million and 6 additional signings are getting like $1.8 million. That doesn't leave much for Colas. 

Wow.  That screws these kids so badly.  Thanks for the info.

2 hours ago, Quin said:

Probably directed at me, so I'll respond.

That's a fair comment.  I am not acting like $2 is a lot of money.   I also get being a writer is a tough gig and all - I was a journalism major in college and literally dreamed of being a sports beat writer for the majority of my teenage years - I get it.  I decided to change my career pretty much immediately upon graduation because I didn't want to make $35k or less a year for the majority of my young adult life. Fast forward 8 years, and I couldn't be happier with my decision to ditch that plan.  

I will pay the $2 to support the futuresox crew for their great content - but I will also say that people are always going to get content for free whether one likes it or not. Poor taste?  Maybe. But its also reality.  Especially when its content people have historically had access to for free.  Roast me for that opinion if you'd like - that's fine - and I get why the FS guys want to make a few bucks for their work.  Making money writing about sports ain't easy.  

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That's a fair comment.  I am not acting like $2 is a lot of money.   I also get being a writer is a tough gig and all - I was a journalism major in college and literally dreamed of being a sports beat writer for the majority of my teenage years - I get it.  I decided to change my career pretty much immediately upon graduation because I didn't want to make $35k or less a year for the majority of my young adult life. Fast forward 8 years, and I couldn't be happier with my decision to ditch that plan.  

I will pay the $2 to support the futuresox crew for their great content - but I will also say that people are always going to get content for free whether one likes it or not. Poor taste?  Maybe. But its also reality.  Especially when its content people have historically had access to for free.  Roast me for that opinion if you'd like - that's fine - and I get why the FS guys want to make a few bucks for their work.  Making money writing about sports ain't easy.  

That was directed at everyone in the thread, so don't feel like it was targeted.

I understand the reality of the situation - I'm a lucky journalist making a decent wage, but a lot of places need reader/listener support. What set me off is we have the writer posting the article / FutureSox's incredibly intimate relationship with this board.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I pick and choose what I pay for as well. I pay for The Athletic because it's awesome. ESPN comes with my Disney Plus subscription and I have to have Baseball America. FutureSox is basically still free. Everything we did before, we are still doing. It's rankings week. Our patreon subscribers are getting separate articles with each of our individual rankings all week. They will also get insider content and weekly podcasts all year. I completely understand not paying for it. I get it. I have a good international source and I'm the only person who has published the names of the 6 players I listed today. I'm sure that will come out eventually and when we do the International Preview, there will be more info on them free for all to consume. For now though, the only people who will see the names are patreon subscribers or someone that takes the names from the post and puts them somewhere. 

I'm a teacher. That's my full time career. I don't need the money. The site does though and every little bit helps. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I pick and choose what I pay for as well. I pay for The Athletic because it's awesome. ESPN comes with my Disney Plus subscription and I have to have Baseball America. FutureSox is basically still free. Everything we did before, we are still doing. It's rankings week. Our patreon subscribers are getting separate articles with each of our individual rankings all week. They will also get insider content and weekly podcasts all year. I completely understand not paying for it. I get it. I have a good international source and I'm the only person who has published the names of the 6 players I listed today. I'm sure that will come out eventually and when we do the International Preview, there will be more info on them free for all to consume. For now though, the only people who will see the names are patreon subscribers or someone that takes the names from the post and puts them somewhere. 

I'm a teacher. That's my full time career. I don't need the money. The site does though and every little bit helps. 

To be clear, Wasn’t a shot at you man. Love the work you do. Not that you can pay the bills with $2/month subscriptions, but it may help cover some expenses related to running the site. Totally understand where you’re coming from with the new paywall.

Just pointing to Quin who seemed offended by questions that not everyone is going to be interested in paying for content. I suspect the names will be out there before too long for non subscribers, if not already with some digging. That said, was happy to pay the $2 and hope you guys can find more subscribers. Good luck! 

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

To be clear, Wasn’t a shot at you man. Love the work you do. Not that you can pay the bills with $2/month subscriptions, but it may help cover some expenses related to running the site. Totally understand where you’re coming from with the new paywall.

Just pointing to Quin who seemed offended by questions that not everyone is going to be interested in paying for content. I suspect the names will be out there before too long for non subscribers, if not already with some digging. That said, was happy to pay the $2 and hope you guys can find more subscribers. Good luck! 

While it wouldn't happen to FutureSox, I've seen far too many friends lose their full time careers as journalists because people wanted content for free, so yes, it is a sore spot for people to ask for content for free directly from the source.

I'm glad to see so many people supporting FutureSox with that $2 a month. It's damn cheap for some pretty darn good content. I do understand that people all got used to getting most or all of their news content for free, sports or otherwise. But that model just isn't sustainable anymore. I think everyone here gets that.

One other reason the $2 a month is good, by the way... while no one will make a living writing for FutureSox, the content on the site is only as good as the writers who create that content. And to get and keep the best writers, being able to pay them a little bit gives FutureSox a much better chance. They have to get new ones all the time in part because a number of them go on to full time paying gigs. Examples of FS writer destinations in just the last few years: 2 MLB clubs, Baseball Prospectus, Hardball Times, NBC Sports, NowThis, 670 The Score, and Boras Corp. Writers who make those leaps are special, and having FS be a viable step along that path is part of what allows it to succeed.

• Thanks 1