White Sox Spring Training Thread

DirtySox

Thanks, I've been waiting to share some tips.  I'd recommend staying in Tempe if you're younger or single.  It's about a 30 minute drive from Camelback but at night you can walk to Mill street and enjoy the nightlife and scenery.  If you want something quieter Scottsdale is nice and has a number of resorts.  Driving is easy in the valley for the most part.  I wouldn't worry about being "too far" from anything.  If you rent a cheap car you can get to everywhere you need to be in under an hour.

As far as seeing the games outside the Sox, I'd recommend hitting up Talking Stick that place actually feels like a MLB park.  If you have kids it's a must as they have a huge kids area.  Great beer selection as well.  Peoria sports complex is...interesting.  There is a place outside there that is a must visit IMO called the "moon saloon" that has some of the cheapest drinks around.  Think they had $2 beers and $4 well drinks when we went there prior to the Mariners game.

I haven't been to the Cubs' stadium but it's supposed to be on the best.  Tickets are usually pretty pricey tho.

I usually like to go the first week of March.  The weather is milder (usually about 70-75 day and 45-55 at night) and you have a better chance of seeing both the main guys and the youngsters.  By mid march most of the young camp invites will be sent to their affiliate and many of the regulars will be getting rest days already.

Don't bother to purchase tickets in advance unless you're in a large group.  And don't bother with anything other than "lawn" or "general admission".  

The ushers are VERY relaxed in spring training, especially at Camelback.  You can slide up right behind home plate about anytime after the 2nd inning.  For autographs at camelback usually the Sox players sign on the 1st base lawn side starting about an hour before the game and then when the guys get pulled they will often sign on their way back to the clubhouse.

For stuff to do outside baseball I'd recommend climbing Camelback mountain (steep but short and a great view) and if you're into hiking Tom's Thumb is a great hike a bit outside the city of moderate difficulty.  For food in Tempe I recommend NCounter, Pedal House brewery and La Bocca.  La Bocca is a really great wine and pizza bar.  A bit pricey but excellent food and service.  Eating outside there with a glass of wine and a solid piece of pizza after a day in the sun and baseball is pure joy if you're coming from a harsh winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Thanks, I've been waiting to share some tips.  I'd recommend staying in Tempe if you're younger or single.  It's about a 30 minute drive from Camelback but at night you can walk to Mill street and enjoy the nightlife and scenery.  If you want something quieter Scottsdale is nice and has a number of resorts.  Driving is easy in the valley for the most part.  I wouldn't worry about being "too far" from anything.  If you rent a cheap car you can get to everywhere you need to be in under an hour.

As far as seeing the games outside the Sox, I'd recommend hitting up Talking Stick that place actually feels like a MLB park.  If you have kids it's a must as they have a huge kids area.  Great beer selection as well.  Peoria sports complex is...interesting.  There is a place outside there that is a must visit IMO called the "moon saloon" that has some of the cheapest drinks around.  Think they had $2 beers and $4 well drinks when we went there prior to the Mariners game.

I haven't been to the Cubs' stadium but it's supposed to be on the best.  Tickets are usually pretty pricey tho.

I usually like to go the first week of March.  The weather is milder (usually about 70-75 day and 45-55 at night) and you have a better chance of seeing both the main guys and the youngsters.  By mid march most of the young camp invites will be sent to their affiliate and many of the regulars will be getting rest days already.

Don't bother to purchase tickets in advance unless you're in a large group.  And don't bother with anything other than "lawn" or "general admission".  

The ushers are VERY relaxed in spring training, especially at Camelback.  You can slide up right behind home plate about anytime after the 2nd inning.  For autographs at camelback usually the Sox players sign on the 1st base lawn side starting about an hour before the game and then when the guys get pulled they will often sign on their way back to the clubhouse.

For stuff to do outside baseball I'd recommend climbing Camelback mountain (steep but short and a great view) and if you're into hiking Tom's Thumb is a great hike a bit outside the city of moderate difficulty.  For food in Tempe I recommend NCounter, Pedal House brewery and La Bocca.  La Bocca is a really great wine and pizza bar.  A bit pricey but excellent food and service.  Eating outside there with a glass of wine and a solid piece of pizza after a day in the sun and baseball is pure joy if you're coming from a harsh winter.

Just adding onto the food real quick - Taco Guild in Phoenix. T+L named them some of the best tacos in America and damn, it's worth the detour if you want some tacos. The place is also inside a renovated church, so it's got a crazy vibe for a restaurant/bar.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

During Hahn’s press conference, he also said two interesting things:

- nature of front office discussions is that RF situation in terms of platoons shouldn’t be locked in yet 

- extensions are still possible

giphy.gif

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Haha 1

Moncada extension, Puig and Dozier and it will officially be the best off season of all time. Also, 2 hours in guys are already getting strains (remember Jon Jay last year?), anything can happen. I don't want to hear how a potential addition doesn't "fit" when we need depth! Handedness or platoon splits be damned.

Edited by Orlando
  • Like 1

Just now, Orlando said:

Moncada extension, Puig and Dozier and it will officially be the best off season of all time. Also, 2 hours in guys are already getting banged up, anything can happen. I don't want to hear how a potential addition doesn't fit when we need depth handedness or platoon splits be damned.

Stripling would be an ideal fit to go with Holt

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Moncada extension, Puig and Dozier and it will officially be the best off season of all time. Also, 2 hours in guys are already getting strains (remember Jon Jay last year?), anything can happen. I don't want to hear how a potential addition doesn't fit when we need depth handedness or platoon splits be damned.

I'd rather not

• Haha 3