MLB considering no crowds allowed on Opening Day?

caulfield12

Knowing what we know as of today, should Opening Days go ahead in front of empty stadiums?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Opening Day without fans, yay or nay?

• Start on time without fans in order to maintain a 154/162 game schedule
    • No fans, no game, no revenues...wait until the situation improves (anticipating the impact it will have on pitchers)
    • Start as normal....tune out all outside news for two weeks

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/should-mlb-guard-against-coronavirus-and-play-opening-day-in-empty-ballparks-224235397.html

What a mess.

Delay the season?  Play without crowds?  Play until “significant numbers“ of fans/players/coaches/umpires get sick first?

There’s already lawsuits flying back and forth, like the men’s and women’s Ivy League basketball teams denied a postseason...the San Jose Sharks feuding with local officials in Santa Clara County, CA.   LeBron’s comments expressing a desire to not play in empty stadiums, etc.  There were even rumors that Gary Sanchez of the Yankees already has the virus.

Should there be league-wide decisions...or should the leagues leave it up to the government and/or health care experts to decide for them first?

Edited by caulfield12

You know that someone out there is just waiting to sue anyone available with deep pockets.

Stories are already coming out about passengers on that Grand Princess ship unknowingly going forth with their second leg from SF to Hawaii and back despite company already having knowledge of infections (one died after first leg to Mexico and back) among passengers/crew but still going forward anyway.

What’s the reasonable standard of care in this situation...?

Are all teams  going to follow the no crowds rule, or just in Seattle, California, Florida, DC/Balt and NYC?   That doesn’t seem fair, exactly...that some teams would get much bigger home field advantages.

Edited by caulfield12

There’s a chance that my office could shut down indefinitely because of this idiotic thing. With pay, of course. If it does, I’m going to rent out a mansion on Lake Como, for cheap. Spoiler alert, everybody: We are all going to die. Sometimes you get those horror movies where most of the people die but those two people you probably didn’t expect actually live. That’s not this one. In this one, everybody dies!

So live your lives. Hang out with your friends, with your families, enjoy the small things and the big things, and don’t freak out because the same imbeciles who think Mike Bloomberg can give a million dollars to every American think some virus is the end of the world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, lane said:

There’s a chance that my office could shut down indefinitely because of this idiotic thing. With pay, of course. If it does, I’m going to rent out a mansion on Lake Como, for cheap. Spoiler alert, everybody: We are all going to die. Sometimes you get those horror movies where most of the people die but those two people you probably didn’t expect actually live. That’s not this one. In this one, everybody dies!

So live your lives. Hang out with your friends, with your families, enjoy the small things and the big things, and don’t freak out because the same imbeciles who think Mike Bloomberg can give a million dollars to every American think some virus is the end of the world.

thanks for your perspective but a lot of people live paycheck to paycheck.

anyways, I'd imagine MLB will mandate no crowds league wide for a time Caulfield.

28 minutes ago, lane said:

People like you are part of the problem. This shit isn't the end of the world, but it's not no big deal either. People will die because of people with your attitude. 

People should be at somewhere between 5-7/10 on the alarm scale, depending on if you live in a rural or urban area. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

People like you are part of the problem. This shit isn't the end of the world, but it's not no big deal either. People will die because of people with your attitude. 

People should be at somewhere between 5-7/10 on the alarm scale, depending on if you live in a rural or urban area. 

My prediction is big time sports will not agree to play games with no fans. Even with the big TV contracts those 40-100 dollar tickets help revenues too much. I'm still thinking this is not a huge deal. Unless you are pretty old, this virus strikes and u get sick an u get better. Nobody's said it's like a crippling disease or anything. Right? Play ball.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

My prediction is big time sports will not agree to play games with no fans. Even with the big TV contracts those 40-100 dollar tickets help revenues too much. I'm still thinking this is not a huge deal. Unless you are pretty old, this virus strikes and u get sick an u get better. Nobody's said it's like a crippling disease or anything. Right? Play ball.

20% of infected people have respiratory failure. Quit understating how serious this is. This is non-discriminatory and there is no way of knowing what will happen to you if you're infected. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

The voting results the last two weeks would argue that everyone is preparing to be completely realistic, if nothing else.

And, there are plenty of hurting Americans already....cruise companies, airline industry, movie theatres, restaurants, anyone involved in the production of oil as well.

Of course, the bitter irony is that sports (and for some, religion) is what used to bring together people from all walks of life to unify them behind a common cause...rooting for their favorite team, spending time together with family and friends.   Because the alternative, something dystopian along the lines of Cormac McCarthy’s The Road, is too terrible to envision.   Being sealed away from the world and behind a screen/tablet for weeks on end just reinforces the common need we all have for human contact/face-to-face communication.

17 minutes ago, greg775 said:

A lot of people are unaware they even have underlying conditions.

One of the dangers is the assumption that people in their teens and twenties are basically invincible...and that this is a virus that only affects those who are already 60+.

Most importantly, they underestimate the ease of passing it on to someone else when they are asymptomatic.

At peak shedding, scientists say, people with coronavirus are emitting more than 1,000 times more virus than was emitted during peak shedding of the SARS infection. The SARS virus sits deep in your lungs. The coronavirus is in your throat, ready to spread.

Edited by caulfield12

14 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

20% of infected people have respiratory failure. Quit understating how serious this is. This is non-discriminatory and there is no way of knowing what will happen to you if you're infected. 

I don't mean to understate. I'm just torn. Half the day I think it's nothing and some kind of conspiracy, the other half I think all sports should play before no fans til mid summer.      https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-cancel-everything/607675/

Or FFS...it's the goddamn flu. This shit was going around out here in PHX well before Christmas and around Thanksgiving. It was a nasty lung bug...like viral pneumonia. Tons of people had it out here. I got it. My gal got it. Same symptoms as they're maniacally describing.  Just out of control bullshit. Get a fuckin grip people.

A little perspective:  https://weather.com/health/cold-flu/news/2020-01-28-flu-more-deadly-than-coronavirus

Hell...back on 2017 or so 80K in the US alone died of flu per the CDC.  How many have died from this mania so far?  14?  22? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wanne said:

Or FFS...it's the goddamn flu. This shit was going around out here in PHX well before Christmas and around Thanksgiving. It was a nasty lung bug...like viral pneumonia. Tons of people had it out here. I got it. My gal got it. Same symptoms as they're maniacally describing.  Just out of control bullshit. Get a fuckin grip people.

A little perspective:  https://weather.com/health/cold-flu/news/2020-01-28-flu-more-deadly-than-coronavirus

Hell...back on 2017 or so 80K in the US alone died of flu per the CDC.  How many have died from this mania so far?  14?  22? 

Did any of them die...get quickly removed by a rapid response team in hazmat suits, with no goodbyes, no funeral...no ashes to collect after the cremation even?

Have you been reading about what is going on in Italy and Iran, for example?   Because 6-8% of infected adults in Italy are not dying from the common, ordinary flu strain...which everyone at least can be vaccinated against.

As of Monday, only 1,707 people had been tested by the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention. More tests may have been conducted at lower level public health laboratories but the number of infections could also be bigger, according to a new Cedars-Sinai study, which estimated that between 1,043 and 9,484 people in the US may have been infected by March 1.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3074506/coronavirus-lesson-china-dont-make-patients-pay-tests-and

Edited by caulfield12

54 minutes ago, Wanne said:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/coronavirus-vs-the-flu-its-just-like-other-viruses-and-we-should-go-about-our-normal-business-right-wrong-heres-why-2020-03-09

You should read that.

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/should-mlb-guard-against-coronavirus-and-play-opening-day-in-empty-ballparks-224235397.html

What a mess.

Delay the season?  Play without crowds?  Play until “significant numbers“ of fans/players/coaches/umpires get sick first?

There’s already lawsuits flying back and forth, like the men’s and women’s Ivy League basketball teams denied a postseason...the San Jose Sharks feuding with local officials in Santa Clara County, CA.   LeBron’s comments expressing a desire to not play in empty stadiums, etc.  There were even rumors that Gary Sanchez of the Yankees already has the virus.

Should there be league-wide decisions...or should the leagues leave it up to the government and/or health care experts to decide for them first?

This thing is less threatening than a bad flu season and it has people turning their lives upside down. Absolutely unbelievable. The media should be ashamed of themselves. This is hurting people businesses/lives. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

All this article did was reinforce to me that this is pneumonia + media sensationalism. 

None of this (no vaccine yet, etc.) changes the fact that the virus simply isn't that threatening. It kills nobody under 50 in the western world and most reported deaths are, in fact, 80+. 

Only 40% of Americans get a flu shot. Yet, I'm supposed to turn my life on its head because this less threatening virus doesn't (yet) have a vaccine? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Richie said:

This thing is less threatening than a bad flu season and it has people turning their lives upside down. Absolutely unbelievable. The media should be ashamed of themselves. This is hurting people businesses/lives. 

The death toll skews old even more strongly. Overall, China CDC found, 2.3% of confirmed cases died. But the fatality rate was 14.8% in people 80 or older, likely reflecting the presence of other diseases, a weaker immune system, or simply worse overall health. By contrast, the fatality rate was 1.3% in 50-somethings (13x flu mortality rate), 0.4% in 40-somethings (4x flu mortality rate), and 0.2% in people 10 to 39 (twice as dangerous as the common flu.)

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03/who-is-getting-sick-and-how-sick-a-breakdown-of-coronavirus-risk-by-demographic-factors/

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

You know that someone out there is just waiting to sue anyone available with deep pockets.

Stories are already coming out about passengers on that Grand Princess ship unknowingly going forth with their second leg from SF to Hawaii and back despite company already having knowledge of infections (one died after first leg to Mexico and back) among passengers/crew but still going forward anyway.

What’s the reasonable standard of care in this situation...?

Are all teams  going to follow the no crowds rule, or just in Seattle, California, Florida, DC/Balt and NYC?   That doesn’t seem fair, exactly...that some teams would get much bigger home field advantages.

caulfield if you want to talk about how baseball is set to react talk about that. But don't just turn this into another corona thread, there already is one.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

caulfield if you want to talk about how baseball is set to react talk about that. But don't just turn this into another corona thread, there already is one.

Fine, we’ll go with a poll question in an attempt to steer the topic away from polarizing directions...

Another option would be to start the season late/r and institute the 14 game playoff format as there’s no better time to experiment than the situation the US is going to be collectively facing the next 2-3 months.

https://theathletic.com/1666353/2020/03/10/well-make-it-work-how-chicagos-teams-are-dealing-with-coronavirus-concerns/?source=dailyemail

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2875675-report-mlb-seriously-considering-expanded-playoff-field-starting-in-2022

Edited by caulfield12

13 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Hopefully they dont give into the doomsday cult. NBA/NHL/CBB/XFL all going on as planned no reason MLB shouldnt.

https://kdvr.com/sports/san-jose-sharks-adhering-to-public-gathering-ban-may-play-in-empty-arena/
Not exactly.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-san-jose-coronavirus-ban-sap-center/c-316072038

Between Seattle, Santa Clara County/CA, Boston in the last 24 hours, NYC, Florida and the DC metro area...you’re going to see more of these situations.

Cities that began interventions earlier had significantly lower peaks of pneumonia and influenza-related mortality. And cities that implemented four or more interventions had a lower median peak weekly death rate (65/100,000 people) versus 146/100,000 people from cities with three or fewer interventions.

The response between Philadelphia and St. Louis made a great case that social distancing does work. In Philadelphia, the first case was reported on Sept 17 and authorities downplayed the significance of the case. They even allowed a city-wide parade to happen on Sept. 28. School closures and bans on public gatherings did not happen until Oct.3, 16 days since the first case. Meanwhile, St. Louis had its first case on Oct 5 and the city implemented social distancing measures two days later.

What was the effect? The 14-day difference in response time between the two cities represents approximately 3-5 doubling times for the epidemic. The peak weekly death rate from pneumonia and influenza-related deaths was 257/100,000 people in Philadelphia. The same metric in St. Louis was 31/100,000.

https://microbialmenagerie.com/social-distancing-1918-influenza-coronavirus-covid-19/

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, wegner said:

I did not see an option for just start the season as normal allowing fans to come to the game as usual....so I did not vote in this Soxtalk survey.  Would that be the Libertarian button that was not included?

Fixed.....three options.  Maybe I’m already anticipating the option we’d all like to see is off the table by then.

The new ballpark in Texas is supposed to open with an exhibition game on Monday, the 23rd.

Edited by caulfield12

8 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Oh, sorry, Jack. You pulled another random number out of your butt, so I’ll totally panic now.

Seriously, where do you get off telling people they need to panic about this? 5-7 on the alarm scale? WTF is that?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1