MLB considering no crowds allowed on Opening Day?

caulfield12

Knowing what we know as of today, should Opening Days go ahead in front of empty stadiums?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Opening Day without fans, yay or nay?

• Start on time without fans in order to maintain a 154/162 game schedule
    • No fans, no game, no revenues...wait until the situation improves (anticipating the impact it will have on pitchers)
    • Start as normal....tune out all outside news for two weeks

4 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The issue is a vast majority of the population is not capable of doing so and then there is another portion that just does not want to believe it because it makes their life more tumultuous.

This isn't about the population, this is about you.   And you need to believe science, not news 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Listen to doctors OR the actual stats. It's like the 20th most deadly disease.... and we never mention the other 19. It's mass hysteria.

Well pandemics and hysteria go hand in hand 

This is going to kill a lot of people's grandparents and hospitalize a lot of otherwise healthy young and middle aged folks.   The lead Doc at the CDC directly told Americans "this is not the flu, it's much worse" this morning.

But hey, stick your head in the sand if you want.  What do we have to lose other than our health and parents?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We can't stop people from getting sick. It's out there and in the wild and there's not much we can do about that for the foreseeable future. 

We need to keep everyone from getting sick at the same time. It's not that hard to understand.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

America's propensity towards individualism and selfishness is on full display with this outbreak.

When Japan told people to stay home, they listened. South Korea? Same thing. American's response is "who are you to tell me what to do?"

You staying home is not about protecting you; the majority of us are not at risk. We are being asked to stay home to protect societies most vulnerable. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices personally for the greater good of all. This is one of those times. 

As MQR has already laid out, this is a resource issue. There are only 924,000 hospital beds in the USA. Of those 924,000, 66% of them are taken up year round for general issues like cancer and things.  That leaves a little over 300,000 beds for other unforseen issues. 

Coronavirus has a hospitalization rate of about 10-15%; let's say 10% and error on the low side. The projection is for between 40-70% of the world population to contract he virus over the next year; lets, again, estimate on the low side and say 30% of American's get it this year. That's over 100,000,000 people; if 10% of those people need to be hospitalized, we're talking about 10,000,000+ people. We don't have the infrastructure, or the health care resources, to accommodate that. Which means? Hospitals will be forced to make tough decisions that costs people their lives (This is ALREADY happening in Italy FYI). By quarantining, you are not trying to "stop" the virus. You are trying to delay the spread of the virus in a way that allows doctors to keep up with the work load; which allows everyone an equal shot at survival if they're vulnerable. That's the point of bans on big public spaces, and while the rest of the world says "do whatever is best, we need to contain this," American's are fluttering about calling it the "flu" and downplaying the risk because it doesn't impose a risk to them personally. 

Furthermore, the USA has a healthcare system issue in general; many people can't even afford to go to the doctor, and even more can't afford to miss work for 2 weeks in the name of staying safe and healthy. This will lead people into the work place with illnesses, expediting the spread. There is no vaccine for this; the vulnerable have no way of protecting themselves.

Instead of thinking about you and the personal problems/sacrifices you have to make - minor inconveniences in the grand scheme of things - think about the most vulnerable who have their lives at risk here. If the system is flooded, they can't receive proper treatment; if they can't receive proper treatment, they could die. 

This is not some small issue just because it doesn't effect you personally. This is a dangerous illness with no vaccine or cure. Show some compassion.

I'll be sad when MLB plays games in empty stadiums - it will - but at the same time I understand it, and it's a sacrifice I'm absolutely willing to make for the better good of all. 

This post rules. Nice. 

BTW I voted no fans until more information goes out. 

Most of the MDs on TV are people who study epidemiology at major university medical centers. Bottom line is that people should be staying home with the exception of essential travel(work, grocery shopping, going to the doctor, etc. ) They(epidemiologists) keep talking about social distancing being the only effective measure to slow or stop the spread of this. The issue is that Americans have this FU attitude and aren't taking it seriously. 

In Italy, they're assigning neighborhoods hours to go eat, shop for stuff, etc. but nobody's going to work or outside for recreation. It's not a complete shutdown, but it's as damn near close to one as a democracy can get. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

25 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

As someone who has relatives who have respiratory issues your comment angers me. Have fun at your mansion while we watch our loved ones die. 

Calm down. My wife has asthma and thinks this panic is idiotic. You’re not special just because you’re losing your mind.

• Like 1

Tbh I don't think no fans is even feasible. Washington has a ban on gatherings over 250 people. 52 players. At least 6 coaches. Trainers. Critical stadium personnel. Broadcasters. Cameramen. That's gotta end up close to 250. 

There are more important things than sports. This crisis is worse right now because short sighted people didn't take it seriously.  I don't like the idea of empty stadiums, but that may be a price we have to pay for a short time.

As for me, regardless of the MLB's decisions, I will wait until warmer weather until I go to a game. At least the conditions will be better. And I don't care about percentages of getting the disease. If you should be a person who gets it, you wouldn't give a shit about percentages. Right now baseball is not all that important. The state of our country is.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mqr said:

A. That's only ICU.

B. That number is only going to continue to rise at an exponential rate. Italy is going to get to the point where all the 15% of people who require breathing assistance aren't going to make it. That number, by the way, includes otherwise healthy and young people.

I don't believe so. The reports I continue to see and read say around 80% are mild symptoms. Unless you have other sources of saying there is a greater % that are moderate to severe. 

32 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Here's an easy answer for you Harry:

Trust the Medical Professionals and Scientists. That's what they're here for. This isn't about politics or Trump - this is a global problem.

When in doubt, trust the highly educated professionals. 

Agreed. Read all of the data and see what the medical professionals say. They will have varied opinions as well but it should be a narrower view than other sources.

12 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

This isn't about the population, this is about you.   And you need to believe science, not news 

The point and I guess I am not making it properly is that I am not talking about me I am talking about the general population and more importantly those that are at greater risk.  Not everyone will find the right media source they are looking at and be given the proper information. 

I do think that it is finally sinking it....despite reading this thread.

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

The point and I guess I am not making it properly is that I am not talking about me I am talking about the general population and more importantly those that are at greater risk.  Not everyone will find the right media source they are looking at and be given the proper information. 

I do think that it is finally sinking it....despite reading this thread.

People haven't realized that what is happening in Seattle is coming to their community.  Let me tell you.  Businesses are suffering here.  People are still going out and about sure but even a 20-30% reduction (which is what service industry is seeing) is horrible.  And there is no end in sight people are just hoping we lower the infection curve and it burns through in a couple months here.

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

People haven't realized that what is happening in Seattle is coming to their community.  Let me tell you.  Businesses are suffering here.  People are still going out and about sure but even a 20-30% reduction (which is what service industry is seeing) is horrible.  And there is no end in sight people are just hoping we lower the infection curve and it burns through in a couple months here.

This x infinity. 

In my mind, there's not enough concern nationally. Do I think people should panic? No, but the fact that I'm taking things seriously and there's a large segment of society that thinks that anything beyond business as usual is unnecessary panic is a huge fucking problem. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You're calm about your wife having a 1/5 chance of dying this year?  Ok then.

This is despicable. You’re really insinuating that 20% of asthmatics on this planet are going to die this year? Yes, I’m calm, because I think people like you are full of shit. But the fact that you and Jack and all these others are perfectly happy to run around and inspire fear is absolutely disgusting. I don’t block people but don’t bother responding to me.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

America's propensity towards individualism and selfishness is on full display with this outbreak.

When Japan told people to stay home, they listened. South Korea? Same thing. American's response is "who are you to tell me what to do?"

You staying home is not about protecting you; the majority of us are not at risk. We are being asked to stay home to protect societies most vulnerable. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices personally for the greater good of all. This is one of those times. 

As MQR has already laid out, this is a resource issue. There are only 924,000 hospital beds in the USA. Of those 924,000, 66% of them are taken up year round for general issues like cancer and things.  That leaves a little over 300,000 beds for other unforseen issues. 

Coronavirus has a hospitalization rate of about 10-15%; let's say 10% and error on the low side. The projection is for between 40-70% of the world population to contract he virus over the next year; lets, again, estimate on the low side and say 30% of American's get it this year. That's over 100,000,000 people; if 10% of those people need to be hospitalized, we're talking about 10,000,000+ people. We don't have the infrastructure, or the health care resources, to accommodate that. Which means? Hospitals will be forced to make tough decisions that costs people their lives (This is ALREADY happening in Italy FYI). By quarantining, you are not trying to "stop" the virus. You are trying to delay the spread of the virus in a way that allows doctors to keep up with the work load; which allows everyone an equal shot at survival if they're vulnerable. That's the point of bans on big public spaces, and while the rest of the world says "do whatever is best, we need to contain this," American's are fluttering about calling it the "flu" and downplaying the risk because it doesn't impose a risk to them personally. 

Furthermore, the USA has a healthcare system issue in general; many people can't even afford to go to the doctor, and even more can't afford to miss work for 2 weeks in the name of staying safe and healthy. This will lead people into the work place with illnesses, expediting the spread. There is no vaccine for this; the vulnerable have no way of protecting themselves.

Instead of thinking about you and the personal problems/sacrifices you have to make - minor inconveniences in the grand scheme of things - think about the most vulnerable who have their lives at risk here. If the system is flooded, they can't receive proper treatment; if they can't receive proper treatment, they could die. 

This is not some small issue just because it doesn't effect you personally. This is a dangerous illness with no vaccine or cure. Show some compassion.

I'll be sad when MLB plays games in empty stadiums - it will - but at the same time I understand it, and it's a sacrifice I'm absolutely willing to make for the better good of all. 

This. Very well said.

2 minutes ago, lane said:

This is despicable. You’re really insinuating that 20% of asthmatics on this planet are going to die this year? Yes, I’m calm, because I think people like you are full of shit. But the fact that you and Jack and all these others are perfectly happy to run around and inspire fear is absolutely disgusting. I don’t block people but don’t bother responding to me.

What an absolutely bizarre response.  1/5 is the estimated fatality rate for those with underlying respiratory illnesses.  You seemingly BRAGGED that your wife was inviting in the grim reaper.  But please I entreat you to take this seriously, for your sake, for my sake, and for everybody's sake.

3 minutes ago, lane said:

If you choose to ignore facts, that's on you. I absolutely hate that people have this attitude. It's fucking irresponsible. This isn't fearmongering dude, this is the seriousness of the situation. You're endangering others by not taking the data seriously. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lane said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

The number is a bit exaggerated,  but 1:12, if this is contracted, looks to be accurate.